Premature end of script headers in index.php??

Premature end of script headers in index.php??

BruceMount

I'm sorry if this is a newbie question.  Last week I set up a wiki for the
first time and everything worked for several days.  I was able to edit pages,
etc.  During the work week I did not use the wiki and it's unlikely anyone else
did, unless someone just tripped over it. Yesterday, my site was down and I
got the following server error:

"Premature end of script headers: /home/xxxxx/public_html/wiki/index.php
Failed loading"

...when I try to go to the home page.  The browser gives a "500 server error"
message.  Given that I have not touched the site in days, does anyone have
any ideas what would cause this error in index.php?

Thanks,

--Bruce
Fxp

Re: Premature end of script headers in index.php??

Fxp
Hi,

for now I can only give you these references:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.org.wikimedia.mediawiki/4024/focus=4100
from the archive.
 and from the apache (here version 1.3, but you'll find the version
concerning your apache)
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/misc/FAQ-F.html#premature-script-headers

Has your php gone cgi-php during the week end ? or changed directory.
Can Perl be a problem in the cgi's reading?

Sorry.

François

Re: Premature end of script headers in index.php??

BruceMount

I am asking this question a second time in hopes that some GENIUS can help
me.  I completely reinstalled MediaWiki 1.8.2 and it worked for all of 5 minutes
before I started getting:
====================
500 Server Error

A misconfiguration on the server caused a hiccup.Check the server logs, fix
the problem, then try again.URL:
http://www.xxxxx.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
====================

Looking at the server log, I see the error:
"Premature end of script headers: /home/xxxxx/public_html/wiki/index.php"

Thanks to François, I looked at:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.org.wikimedia.mediawiki/4024/focus=4100
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/misc/FAQ-F.html#premature-script-headers

....but neither was able to solve my problem.  The host company has tried to
help, but they are not experts with MediaWiki, so this think it's the
software.  However, given that thousands of people all over the world use the
MediaWiki, I think it must be something else.

Can anyone suggest ANY other thing I should look at or try?

--Bruce

Re: Premature end of script headers in index.php??

Taylor Ralston
BruceMount wrote
[...]

Bruce, I've experienced a similar problem. I installed my wiki (1.8.2) and it worked just fine for two weeks or so. Then all of the sudden I got these errors (it was mainly associated with viewing a page that had been edited, which are ALL of them). It took me forever to find a solution, but I did! Here's what I did:

1.  I backed up all of the files under my wiki installation folder to a my local hard drive (just in case)
2.  I went to the MySQL administration app (for me it was phpMyAdmin) and I exported the database as a SQL file
3.  Then I wiped clean that wiki folder
4.  If you aren't resetting your whole web hosting account, you can leave your wiki database intact.
4.  After some experimentation I found out that wiki 1.7.1 worked just great for me (after trying each release previous to 1.8.2). Just make sure that when you run the installation, you give THE SAME EXACT CONFIG PARAMETERS you gave when first setting up the wiki. This way, (your database still must be there) when you install the wiki again, it will see the existing</b database and just link to it.
5.  My wiki had some extensions and modifications, so I used the backed up files to remind me where those modifications were.
6.  You're set!

Don't know if this will work on all web servers, but it's worth a try. Good luck

Taylor