[Press]: Lessons and tips on getting media coverage

[Press]: Lessons and tips on getting media coverage

Noopur Raval
Dear all,

Over the past one month, we've been working with community members from
Assamese, Kannada Malayalam and Nepali communities to get maximum possible
media coverage and press support in order to highlight their community and
events and hopefully get new editors for our movement.

In all cases, I help prepare the press
release<http://ml.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%B4%B5%E0%B4%BF%E0%B4%95%E0%B5%8D%E0%B4%95%E0%B4%BF%E0%B4%AA%E0%B5%80%E0%B4%A1%E0%B4%BF%E0%B4%AF:%E0%B4%B5%E0%B4%BF%E0%B4%95%E0%B5%8D%E0%B4%95%E0%B4%BF%E0%B4%B8%E0%B4%82%E0%B4%97%E0%B4%AE%E0%B5%8B%E0%B4%A4%E0%B5%8D%E0%B4%B8%E0%B4%B5%E0%B4%82_-_2012/%E0%B4%AA%E0%B4%A4%E0%B5%8D%E0%B4%B0%E0%B4%95%E0%B5%8D%E0%B4%95%E0%B5%81%E0%B4%B1%E0%B4%BF%E0%B4%AA%E0%B5%8D%E0%B4%AA%E0%B5%8D/en>(as,
kn, ml, ne),  then community members translate it and then we work
together to try and reach out to the widest possible audience.
Here are a few links to the press releases and newspaper articles. There
are a few in local language papers that are not online. Also, all these
reports are due to the collaborative effort and very important follow up by
community members like Jyoti, Bishnu, Gitartha, Omshivaprakash, Anoop,
Ramesh, Kannan, Sujith, Saroj and Ganesh for the communities respectively.

Assamese:

http://www.northeasttoday.in/our-states/assam/assamese-wikipedia-celebrates-10th-anniversary
 http://news.outlookindia.com/items.aspx?artid=765639

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/industry-and-economy/info-tech/article3527515.ece

http://www.sify.com/news/assamese-wikipedia-completes-10-years-of-existence-news-national-mgomkejcfde.html

http://ibnlive.in.com/generalnewsfeed/news/assamese-wikipedia-completes-10-years-of-existence/1011585.html

http://issuu.com/assamese/docs/ghy_13062012?mode=window&backgroundColor#22222
 http://www.telegraphindia.com/1120611/jsp/northeast/story_15594299.jsp
 http://sevensisterspost.com/?p=17895
 http://amarasom.glpublications.in/Details.aspx?id=9509&boxid=103211609

 Kannada:
 http://epaper.udayavani.com/Display.aspx?Pg=H&Edn=MN&DispDate=6/18/2012
 http://allevents.in/Bangalore/483961428297721

Malayalam:
 http://www.efytimes.com/e1/fullnews.asp?edid=82424

http://keralaitnews.com/state-scan/other-cities/4717-kollam-to-host-malayalam-wikisangamotsavam-on-april-28-29

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/tp-kerala/article3351423.ece?css=print

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2012-04-14/social-media/31341866_1_malayalam-wikipedia-kollam-knowledge

http://www.techgoss.com/Story/557S12-Wiki-Malayalam-Meet-held-at-Kerala.aspx
 http://article.wn.com/view/2012/04/28/Malayalam_wiki_most_innovative/

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/channels/sci-tech/hitech/malayalam-wiki-most-innovative-793

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/malayalam-wikipedia-could-be-emulated/253196-60-116.html
 http://newindianexpress.com/states/kerala/article390787.ece

Nepali:
 https://dl.dropbox.com/u/34914418/Nagarik_Article.png
 https://dl.dropbox.com/u/34914418/karobar_article.png
 Radio Sagarmatha broadcasted an interview with a Wikipedian Ganesh
Paudel...
 Radio Nepal Bani Broadcasted an interview with Wikipedians located in
Kathmandu (Mr. Ganesh Paudel and Mr. Saroj Dhakal)

Just thought I'd share a few pointers based on what went right and what
could have been better on my part. This may help you in the future if you
too are looking to get media attention for your community and events.

A few lessons:

*Planning:*

   - Database of contacts: We have put in place a fairly comprehensive
   database of English as well as local press, television and radio contacts.
   I'd be happy to share them with anyone who needs to get in touch with
   journalists.
   - In case of local language newspapers, calling a journalist/newspaper
   office or personally visiting them to give the press brief always works
   better than e-mailing. Most local language newspapers still prefer a hard
   copy of the brief or even ask for a fax sometimes.
   - For the Assamese anniversary celebrations, we had an agenda well in
   advance and we (the community members and I) made sure the press release
   was ready in English as well as in Assamese so we could send it out to
   newspapers, television channels and radio stations.
   - Regarding English language newspapers, it is always advisable to call
   first and then e-mail the brief to a senior editor as well as a staff
   reporter (at least two people within the organization) to ensure the story
   receives due attention. Attaching a few photographs of your past meetups is
   a good idea.
   - It is advisable to translate the press release and attach both
   versions while sending it to the journalist.
   - If you are planning to have an event on the weekend, make sure you
   call and e-mail much earlier during the week.

*Event:*

   - Always make sure to invite the journalists to your event. This will
   not only help in getting a comprehensive story but will also encourage them
   to take up editing.
   - Dealing with news channels and radio stations: While DY 365 channel
   covered the Assamese meetup, other channels did not bother to follow up.
   For radio, it *only* works if you speak to them in local language.

*Other tips:*

   - It is a *must* to put in a contact number of preferably an email ID at
   the end of a press release. Maybe all communities should have either a
   chapter email ID (like [hidden email]) or a gmail ID run by an
   active community member. This can be super useful and will avoid giving out
   personal details.
   -  Building a quote pool: How about we keep a few quotes from different
   community members on the basics  - (examples:  why I edit, how I edit, what
   is your message to fellow Marathi/Tamil/Gujarati speakers) ? Of course,
   quotes from people are crucial and must not be misused but, this can help
   the Chapter communications team too
   -  Getting the article right: Spelling mistakes, misquoted information,
   erroneous figures are a common problem with Wikipedia stories. Although it
   may not always be possible, do request the journalist to show you the
   article before publishing it.
   -  Targeting news agencies: After the Assamese press experience, I
   realized having one PTI press release ensures that the story reaches at
   least 4-5 newspapers. This is a very effective way of maximizing media
   coverage.

I might have missed out on a few lessons and invite community members and
the chapter communication team to contribute with more inputs. Maybe we can
even document this on Meta for future reference.

Thank you,
Best

--
Noopur Raval