[Press] : The Hindu : "Tamil teacher to participate in Wikimania"

[Press] : The Hindu : "Tamil teacher to participate in Wikimania"

Tinu Cherian ( Wikimedia India)
*The Hindu :  "Tamil teacher to participate in Wikimania"
*
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/tamil-nadu/tamil-teacher-to-participate-in-wikimania/article4810118.ece

  *She will be one among the 10 persons selected from the country and one
among the two persons selected from the State for participating in
Wikimania 2013, an annual international conference of the Wikimedia
movement, to be held in Hong Kong, China between August 7 and 11.

S. Parvathi, a Tamil teacher at Panchayat Union Middle School, Kandampatti
in Salem rural block, has contributed 500 articles, edited 10,500 articles
and wrote three books for children in the Tamil language edition of
Wikipedia and was selected for her continuous contribution to the portal.

Talking about her journey in the knowledge world, she said that while
searching for projects for class eight students in the website, she could
not find suitable documents in Tamil and that made her mind to contribute
something to the growth of development of the language. “It is the passion
towards Tamil that started contributions in 2001. An article on Onam
festival was published as main story and it motivated me,” she said.

The Tamil Wikipedia currently has 52,000 articles when compared to 12 lakh
in English. It is the second largest Wikipedia among Indian languages by
article count and 59 largest in the world. Ms. Parvathi along with Sengai
Podhuvan from Chennai were selected for contributions to Tamil while the
rest eight were selected for their contributions in Oriya, Gujarati,
Malayalam, Kannada and Hindi.

Her contributions were in subjects dealing with noble laureates,
scientists, Tamil literature and grammar apart from general issues.
“Penetration of internet is increasing and more articles in Tamil are
becoming essential nowadays,” added the teacher.

Though there is no financial incentive for posting articles and editing
works, she is happy about the contributions to the growth of Tamil
language. She wanted more women to contribute for the Tamil Wikipedia and
be a part of knowledge sharing society.

About 2,500 people representing 200 languages are expected to take part in
the conference that would help them to learn and share experience and come
out with new knowledge initiatives across the world.
--

*
Regards

*Important Note : *Non-commercial reproduction for informative purposes
only. The publisher ( The Hindu ) of the above news article owns the
copyrights of the article / content. All copyrights are duly acknowledged.

Re: [WMIN-Members] [Press] : The Hindu : "Tamil teacher to participate in Wikimania"

CherianTinu Abraham
You are right. English Wikipedia has more than 42 lakh articles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Statistics

The reporter should have researched on the stats.

-TC