Quantcast

Problem with ExternalData Extension

Ralf Hagenbuck-2
Today I tried to handle some List data with Extension:ExternalData. I read all about in  I think i'm missing something but I don't know what.

I have a csv File as datasource wich I uploaded to my wiki as Datei:Vermögensgegenstände.csv first.

Then I created a page (Vermögensgegenstände) in the wiki which contains

{{#get_web_data:
url={{filepath:Vermögensgegenstände.csv}}
|format=CSV with header
|delimiter=
|data= VgstNr=VgstNr , Vermögensgegenstand=Vermögensgegenstand , Nutzung in Jahren=Nutzung in Jahren ,
|filters=
|use xpath=
|post data=
|cache seconds=
}}

{| class="wikitable"
! VgstNr
! Vermögensgegenstand
! Nutzung in Jahren {{#for_external_table:
{{!}}-
{{!}} {{{VgstNr }}}
{{!}} {{{Vermögensgegenstand}}}
{{!}} {{{Nutzung in Jahren}}}
{{!}}-
}}
|}

But all I get is an Error:

Error: No contents found at URL

When using {{filepath:Vermögensgegenstände.csv}} I get a proper link that returns all the csv properly. I have another usecase where I receive Data from an external URL which works fine.

Re: Problem with ExternalData Extension

Yaron Koren-2
Hi Ralf,

I'm not sure what is causing the problem, but that "delimiter=" parameter
looks suspect - as written, it sets the CSV delimiter to be a space, or
maybe just blank, which is probably not what you want. In general, you
shouldn't include parameters in #get_web_data unless they're being used.

If that's not the problem, I don't know what's causing it; I tried it
myself, uploading a CSV file with that same name, and it worked for me.

-Yaron

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 9:14 AM, Ralf Hagenbuck <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Today I tried to handle some List data with Extension:ExternalData. I read
> all about in  I think i'm missing something but I don't know what.
>
> I have a csv File as datasource wich I uploaded to my wiki as
> Datei:Vermögensgegenstände.csv first.
>
> Then I created a page (Vermögensgegenstände) in the wiki which contains
>
> {{#get_web_data:
> url={{filepath:Vermögensgegenstände.csv}}
> |format=CSV with header
> |delimiter=
> |data= VgstNr=VgstNr , Vermögensgegenstand=Vermögensgegenstand , Nutzung
> in Jahren=Nutzung in Jahren ,
> |filters=
> |use xpath=
> |post data=
> |cache seconds=
> }}
>
> {| class="wikitable"
> ! VgstNr
> ! Vermögensgegenstand
> ! Nutzung in Jahren {{#for_external_table:
> {{!}}-
> {{!}} {{{VgstNr }}}
> {{!}} {{{Vermögensgegenstand}}}
> {{!}} {{{Nutzung in Jahren}}}
> {{!}}-
> }}
> |}
>
> But all I get is an Error:
>
> Error: No contents found at URL
>
> When using {{filepath:Vermögensgegenstände.csv}} I get a proper link that
> returns all the csv properly. I have another usecase where I receive Data
> from an external URL which works fine.

Re: Problem with ExternalData Extension

Ralf Hagenbuck-2
I deleted the empty parameters already but not does not change anything.

Are there some regulations for the design of the csv? I used "," as the delimiter and " " for the text fields. I did not find an example.

We use ImgAuth.  Might that cause problems?

---- Yaron Koren schrieb ----

>Hi Ralf,
>
>I'm not sure what is causing the problem, but that "delimiter=" parameter
>looks suspect - as written, it sets the CSV delimiter to be a space, or
>maybe just blank, which is probably not what you want. In general, you
>shouldn't include parameters in #get_web_data unless they're being used.
>
>If that's not the problem, I don't know what's causing it; I tried it
>myself, uploading a CSV file with that same name, and it worked for me.
>
>-Yaron
>
>On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 9:14 AM, Ralf Hagenbuck <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>
>> Today I tried to handle some List data with Extension:ExternalData. I read
>> all about in  I think i'm missing something but I don't know what.
>>
>> I have a csv File as datasource wich I uploaded to my wiki as
>> Datei:Vermögensgegenstände.csv first.
>>
>> Then I created a page (Vermögensgegenstände) in the wiki which contains
>>
>> {{#get_web_data:
>> url={{filepath:Vermögensgegenstände.csv}}
>> |format=CSV with header
>> |delimiter=
>> |data= VgstNr=VgstNr , Vermögensgegenstand=Vermögensgegenstand , Nutzung
>> in Jahren=Nutzung in Jahren ,
>> |filters=
>> |use xpath=
>> |post data=
>> |cache seconds=
>> }}
>>
>> {| class="wikitable"
>> ! VgstNr
>> ! Vermögensgegenstand
>> ! Nutzung in Jahren {{#for_external_table:
>> {{!}}-
>> {{!}} {{{VgstNr }}}
>> {{!}} {{{Vermögensgegenstand}}}
>> {{!}} {{{Nutzung in Jahren}}}
>> {{!}}-
>> }}
>> |}
>>
>> But all I get is an Error:
>>
>> Error: No contents found at URL
>>
>> When using {{filepath:Vermögensgegenstände.csv}} I get a proper link that
>> returns all the csv properly. I have another usecase where I receive Data
>> from an external URL which works fine.

>--
>WikiWorks · MediaWiki Consulting · http://wikiworks.com

Re: Problem with ExternalData Extension

Yaron Koren-2
Hi,

This page, linked from the ED documentation, has a few different examples:

http://discoursedb.org/wiki/Fruits_table

But basically, any valid CSV should work. Though this doesn't seem like a
CSV-parsing issue.

Yes, potentially another extension is causing the problem. You could try
temporarily disabling all the extensions except for External Data, and see
if that fixes the problem. Also make sure that you're using a recent
version of ED - I forgot to ask about that before.

-Yaron

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 1:17 PM, Ralf Hagenbuck <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I deleted the empty parameters already but not does not change anything.
>
> Are there some regulations for the design of the csv? I used "," as the
> delimiter and " " for the text fields. I did not find an example.
>
> We use ImgAuth.  Might that cause problems?
>

> ---- Yaron Koren schrieb ----
>
> >Hi Ralf,
> >
> >I'm not sure what is causing the problem, but that "delimiter=" parameter
> >looks suspect - as written, it sets the CSV delimiter to be a space, or
> >maybe just blank, which is probably not what you want. In general, you
> >shouldn't include parameters in #get_web_data unless they're being used.
> >
> >If that's not the problem, I don't know what's causing it; I tried it
> >myself, uploading a CSV file with that same name, and it worked for me.
> >
> >-Yaron
> >
> >On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 9:14 AM, Ralf Hagenbuck <[hidden email]>
> >wrote:
> >
> >> Today I tried to handle some List data with Extension:ExternalData. I
> read
> >> all about in  I think i'm missing something but I don't know what.
> >>
> >> I have a csv File as datasource wich I uploaded to my wiki as
> >> Datei:Vermögensgegenstände.csv first.
> >>
> >> Then I created a page (Vermögensgegenstände) in the wiki which contains
> >>
> >> {{#get_web_data:
> >> url={{filepath:Vermögensgegenstände.csv}}
> Nutzung
> >> in Jahren=Nutzung in Jahren ,
> >> }}
> >>
> >> {| class="wikitable"
> >> ! VgstNr
> >> ! Vermögensgegenstand
> >> ! Nutzung in Jahren {{#for_external_table:
> >> {{!}}-
> >> {{!}} {{{VgstNr }}}
> >> {{!}} {{{Vermögensgegenstand}}}
> >> {{!}} {{{Nutzung in Jahren}}}
> >> {{!}}-
> >> }}
> >>
> >> But all I get is an Error:
> >>
> >> Error: No contents found at URL
> >>
> >> When using {{filepath:Vermögensgegenstände.csv}} I get a proper link
> that
> >> returns all the csv properly. I have another usecase where I receive
> Data
> >> from an external URL which works fine.

> >--
> >WikiWorks · MediaWiki Consulting · http://wikiworks.com

Re: Problem with ExternalData Extension

Ralf Hagenbuck-2
Meantime I created a new page where the CSV data is included directly and set get_web_data to it. This made the error message gone but at least there are no results.

Links like

https:/..../index.php/Special:GetData/Vorlage:Vermögensgegenstände?VgstNr=1.01_01

or

https://aquanautweb.de/aquanautwebwiki11205/img_auth.php/b/bd/Verm%C3%B6gensgegenst%C3%A4nde.csv

work fine.

I will try to reinstall ED tomorrow. I downloaded the zip from https://m.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:External_Data#Download

Ralf

Am 24.01.2017 19:30 schrieb Yaron Koren <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> This page, linked from the ED documentation, has a few different examples:
>
> http://discoursedb.org/wiki/Fruits_table
>
> But basically, any valid CSV should work. Though this doesn't seem like a
> CSV-parsing issue.
>
> Yes, potentially another extension is causing the problem. You could try
> temporarily disabling all the extensions except for External Data, and see
> if that fixes the problem. Also make sure that you're using a recent
> version of ED - I forgot to ask about that before.
>
> -Yaron
>
> On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 1:17 PM, Ralf Hagenbuck <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > I deleted the empty parameters already but not does not change anything.
> >
> > Are there some regulations for the design of the csv? I used "," as the
> > delimiter and " " for the text fields. I did not find an example.
> >
> > We use ImgAuth.  Might that cause problems?
> >

> > ---- Yaron Koren schrieb ----
> >
> > >Hi Ralf,
> > >
> > >I'm not sure what is causing the problem, but that "delimiter=" parameter
> > >looks suspect - as written, it sets the CSV delimiter to be a space, or
> > >maybe just blank, which is probably not what you want. In general, you
> > >shouldn't include parameters in #get_web_data unless they're being used.
> > >
> > >If that's not the problem, I don't know what's causing it; I tried it
> > >myself, uploading a CSV file with that same name, and it worked for me.
> > >
> > >-Yaron

> > read

> > Nutzung

> > that
> > Data

> > >--
> > >WikiWorks · MediaWiki Consulting · http://wikiworks.com

Re: Problem with ExternalData Extension

Tobias Oetterer-2
Hey Ralf

As Yaron suggested, try disabling img_auth and probably - for one test - set your wiki to public (read for all). I don't think, #get_web_data runs with the users credentials but instead tries to anonymously access the remote source (in your case your own wiki). Hence the error for {{filepath:Vermögensgegenstände.csv}}. If that works, just add something to your LocalSettings that whitelists requests from your local machine.

If that still does not work: A few years ago I had a similar problem. I ran two wikis on one host and tried to #get_web_data from one to the other. Turned out, I needed a "handover"-script on a second host, that just relays requests from one to the other. In your case this script would have to be granted read access (my source was a public wiki). I don't quite remember what exactly caused the problem, [0] hints at a general issue, though.

Also, there might be circumstances preventing your server to access itself, generally. Maybe a Firewall? Just google "host curl to itself" and read some of the issues.

Regards,
Tobias Oetterer

[0]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension_talk:External_Data/Archive_2012#GetData_from_same_wiki_.28CSV.29

--
If this email is rather brief, it is not meant to be impolite but to respect your time.
http://five.sentenc.es

University of Paderborn
Zentrum IMT
Warburger Straße 100
33098 Paderborn

Office: N5.338
Phone: 05251/60-2194
Meantime I created a new page where the CSV data is included directly and set get_web_data to it. This made the error message gone but at least there are no results.

Links like

https:/..../index.php/Special:GetData/Vorlage:Vermögensgegenstände?VgstNr=1.01_01

or

https://aquanautweb.de/aquanautwebwiki11205/img_auth.php/b/bd/Verm%C3%B6gensgegenst%C3%A4nde.csv

work fine.

I will try to reinstall ED tomorrow. I downloaded the zip from https://m.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:External_Data#Download

Ralf

Am 24.01.2017 19:30 schrieb Yaron Koren <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> This page, linked from the ED documentation, has a few different examples:
>
> http://discoursedb.org/wiki/Fruits_table
>
> But basically, any valid CSV should work. Though this doesn't seem
> like a CSV-parsing issue.
>
> Yes, potentially another extension is causing the problem. You could
> try temporarily disabling all the extensions except for External Data,
> and see if that fixes the problem. Also make sure that you're using a
> recent version of ED - I forgot to ask about that before.
>
> -Yaron
>
> On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 1:17 PM, Ralf Hagenbuck <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > I deleted the empty parameters already but not does not change anything.
> >
> > Are there some regulations for the design of the csv? I used "," as
> > the delimiter and " " for the text fields. I did not find an example.
> >
> > We use ImgAuth.  Might that cause problems?
> >

> > ---- Yaron Koren schrieb ----
> >
> > >Hi Ralf,
> > >
> > >I'm not sure what is causing the problem, but that "delimiter="
> > >parameter looks suspect - as written, it sets the CSV delimiter to
> > >be a space, or maybe just blank, which is probably not what you
> > >want. In general, you shouldn't include parameters in #get_web_data unless they're being used.
> > >
> > >If that's not the problem, I don't know what's causing it; I tried
> > >it myself, uploading a CSV file with that same name, and it worked for me.
> > >
> > >-Yaron
> > >
> > >On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 9:14 AM, Ralf Hagenbuck
> > ><[hidden email]>

> > read

> > Nutzung

> > that
> > Data

> > >--
> > >WikiWorks · MediaWiki Consulting · http://wikiworks.com

Re: Problem with ExternalData Extension

Ralf Hagenbuck-2
 No Success until now. I disabled img_auth, set my wiki "read for all" but the only thing that changes was the error Message disapeared. There were no data shown. Turning img_auth off is no option for this wiki.

What about the other way to put the csv-Data into a wikipage? That in my case works without error-message in the get_web_data part, but no data are shown. I copied the Data into Vorlage:Vermögensgegenstände and changed may test page to

{{fullurl:Vorlage:Vermögensgegenstände}}

The link from {{fullurl:Vorlage:Vermögensgegenstände}} works so far.

{{#get_web_data:
url={{fullurl:Vorlage:Vermögensgegenstände}}
|format=CSV with header
|data=VgstNr=VgstNr,Vermögensgegenstand=Vermögensgegenstand,Nutzung in Jahren=Nutzung in Jahren
}}

 The get_web_data part does not popup errors.

{{#external_value:VgstNr}}

Shows an Error:  Error: no local variable "VgstNr" was set.

{| class="wikitable"
! VgstNr
! Vermögensgegenstand
! Nutzung in Jahren {{#for_external_table:
{{!}}-
{{!}} {{{VgstNr }}}
{{!}} {{{Vermögensgegenstand}}}
{{!}} {{{Nutzung in Jahren}}}
{{!}}-
}}
|}

The #for_external_tabel part does not show data.

> As Yaron suggested, try disabling img_auth and probably - for one test - set
> your wiki to public (read for all). I don't think, #get_web_data runs with
> the users credentials but instead tries to anonymously access the remote
> source (in your case your own wiki). Hence the error for
> {{filepath:Vermögensgegenstände.csv}}. If that works, just add something to
> your LocalSettings that whitelists requests from your local machine.
>
> If that still does not work: A few years ago I had a similar problem. I ran
> two wikis on one host and tried to #get_web_data from one to the other.
> Turned out, I needed a "handover"-script on a second host, that just relays
> requests from one to the other. In your case this script would have to be
> granted read access (my source was a public wiki). I don't quite remember
> what exactly caused the problem, [0] hints at a general issue, though.
>
> Also, there might be circumstances preventing your server to access itself,
> generally. Maybe a Firewall? Just google "host curl to itself" and read some
> of the issues.
>
> Regards,
> Tobias Oetterer
>
> [0]:
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension_talk:External_Data/Archive_2012#Get
> Data_from_same_wiki_.28CSV.29
>
> --
> If this email is rather brief, it is not meant to be impolite but to respect
> your time.
> http://five.sentenc.es
> No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons
> were terribly inconvenienced
>
> University of Paderborn
> Zentrum IMT
> Warburger Straße 100
> 33098 Paderborn
>
> Office: N5.338
> Phone: 05251/60-2194

What does the first line of the CSV file look like?

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 7:03 AM, Ralf Hagenbuck <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>  No Success until now. I disabled img_auth, set my wiki "read for all" but
> the only thing that changes was the error Message disapeared. There were no
> data shown. Turning img_auth off is no option for this wiki.
>
> What about the other way to put the csv-Data into a wikipage? That in my
> case works without error-message in the get_web_data part, but no data are
> shown. I copied the Data into Vorlage:Vermögensgegenstände and changed may
> test page to
>

> {{fullurl:Vorlage:Vermögensgegenstände}}
>
> The link from {{fullurl:Vorlage:Vermögensgegenstände}} works so far.
>
> {{#get_web_data:
> url={{fullurl:Vorlage:Vermögensgegenstände}}
> |format=CSV with header
> |data=VgstNr=VgstNr,Vermögensgegenstand=Vermögensgegenstand,Nutzung in
> Jahren=Nutzung in Jahren
> }}
>
>  The get_web_data part does not popup errors.
>
> {{#external_value:VgstNr}}
>
> Shows an Error:  Error: no local variable "VgstNr" was set.
>
> {| class="wikitable"
> ! VgstNr
> ! Vermögensgegenstand
> ! Nutzung in Jahren {{#for_external_table:
> {{!}}-
> {{!}} {{{VgstNr }}}
> {{!}} {{{Vermögensgegenstand}}}
> {{!}} {{{Nutzung in Jahren}}}
> {{!}}-
> }}
> |}
>
> The #for_external_tabel part does not show data.

Now I put the csv File onto an external Cloud Storage Server and used its URl for the extension and it worked.

So I think it is an isue that is somehow smilar to what is a common problem Nr 3 in [1]. We are not using a dynamic IP Service but a LoadBalancer and 2 redundancy servers. Might that affect the Extension to work not as expected.

Ralf

[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Extension:External_Data#Common_problems