Problem with Spoken Wikipedia

yishai goldstein
Hi,
Articles which are spoken (have a sound file reading the article) such as Barack Obama have a problem:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?action=query&generator=links&redirects&gpllimit=500&titles=Barack%20Obama
returns an error "No support for special pages has been implemented".
Thanks,
Yishai

Re: Problem with Spoken Wikipedia

Roan Kattouw
yishai goldstein schreef:
> Hi,
> Articles which are spoken (have a sound file reading the article) such
> as Barack Obama have a problem:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?action=query&generator=links&redirects&gpllimit=500&titles=Barack%20Obama
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?action=query&generator=links&redirects&gpllimit=500&titles=Barack%20Obama>
> returns an error "No support for special pages has been implemented".
> Thanks,
> Yishai
This bug was fixed a week ago, but the fix hasn't gone live on Wikipedia
yet (I'll poke Brion to put it live). The error is caused by the
presence of a [[Media:Foo.ogg]] link on the page (or any link to the
Special: or Media: namespace, really), which can't be fed to the
generator. Last week's fix doesn't change that, but changes the error to
a warning; you'll get the list of links along with a warning that the
Special: and Media: namespaces aren't supported, but the link to the
sound file won't be listed unless you do a simple (i.e. non-generator)
request. I intend to fix this properly in the future, but only once
registration of links to the Special: and Media: namespaces has been
made consistent.

Roan Kattouw (Catrope)

Re: Problem with Spoken Wikipedia

Platonides
yishai goldstein wrote:
> Hi,
> Articles which are spoken (have a sound file reading the article) such
> as Barack Obama have a problem:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?action=query&generator=links&redirects&gpllimit=500&titles=Barack%20Obama
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?action=query&generator=links&redirects&gpllimit=500&titles=Barack%20Obama>
> returns an error "No support for special pages has been implemented".
> Thanks,
> Yishai

That's because generator=links "Get information about the link pages in
the page" [1]
The first link point to a Media: file [2]
<pl ns="-2" title="Media:En-Barack Obama-article1.ogg" />

Information about Media is not supported. It should be set as an alias
to NS_IMAGE

1-http://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?
2-http://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?action=query&prop=links&titles=Barack%20Obama&pllimit=500

Re: Problem with Spoken Wikipedia