Problems on block ip user in Chinese Wikipedia

Problems on block ip user in Chinese Wikipedia

mingli yuan
Hi, buddies. The Chinese Wikimedia users need some technical help from
the developers at the Foundation.

As everyone here believes, the government of P.R. China has blocked
access to all Wikimedia sites using its "Great Firewall"; Wikimedia
contributors and users in Mainland China have to use proxies to visit
Wikimedia sites. However, most of these proxies are unstable, so
CNBlog.org (a famous and prominent advocacy of blogosphere in China
operated by Social Brian Foundation, which hosted the First Chinese
Blogger Conference last year) has setup a stable proxy for Chinese
users.

With this service, Mainland Chinese users can access Chinese Wikipedia
using http://wikipedia.cnblog.org, and Chinese Wikinews using
http://wikinews.cnblog.org. There are over 16,000 visits and over
110,000 page requests per day this month. CNBlog.org has been very
helpful to Chinese users, and it is planning to expand its proxy
service to cover all Chinese Wikimedia projects, which is really great
news.

Unfortunately, Chinese Wikimedia administrators are frowned upon an
issue that came up recently: lots of vandalism is done using the
CNBlog proxy. Currently, the IP of the CNBlog proxy is displayed and
logged in edit history on Wikimedia. If an administrator blocks this
IP (CNBlog proxy), all Mainland Chinese users who are using CNBlog
proxy, either logged-in or not, will be blocked as well and not be
able to contribute.

Some Chinese Wikipedians discussed this issue with CNBlog.org, and we
believe that a technical solution should be feasible. We also
discussed some technical details, and I will send another e-mail to
wikitech-l regarding the details. Basically, we would like to have
users' real IP (IP used to access CNBlog proxy) displayed and logged
at Wikimedia.

We send this e-mail to here on behalf of many Chinese users. We hope
to have kind attention and help from the Foundation. Thank you very
much.

[[User:Shizhao]]
[[User:R.O.C]]
[[User:Yongxinge]]
[[User:Mountain]]

Re: Problems on block ip user in Chinese Wikipedia

Florence Devouard-3
mingli yuan wrote:

> Hi, buddies. The Chinese Wikimedia users need some technical help from
> the developers at the Foundation.
>
> As everyone here believes, the government of P.R. China has blocked
> access to all Wikimedia sites using its "Great Firewall"; Wikimedia
> contributors and users in Mainland China have to use proxies to visit
> Wikimedia sites. However, most of these proxies are unstable, so
> CNBlog.org (a famous and prominent advocacy of blogosphere in China
> operated by Social Brian Foundation, which hosted the First Chinese
> Blogger Conference last year) has setup a stable proxy for Chinese
> users.
>
> With this service, Mainland Chinese users can access Chinese Wikipedia
> using http://wikipedia.cnblog.org, and Chinese Wikinews using
> http://wikinews.cnblog.org. There are over 16,000 visits and over
> 110,000 page requests per day this month. CNBlog.org has been very
> helpful to Chinese users, and it is planning to expand its proxy
> service to cover all Chinese Wikimedia projects, which is really great
> news.
>
> Unfortunately, Chinese Wikimedia administrators are frowned upon an
> issue that came up recently: lots of vandalism is done using the
> CNBlog proxy. Currently, the IP of the CNBlog proxy is displayed and
> logged in edit history on Wikimedia. If an administrator blocks this
> IP (CNBlog proxy), all Mainland Chinese users who are using CNBlog
> proxy, either logged-in or not, will be blocked as well and not be
> able to contribute.
>
> Some Chinese Wikipedians discussed this issue with CNBlog.org, and we
> believe that a technical solution should be feasible. We also
> discussed some technical details, and I will send another e-mail to
> wikitech-l regarding the details. Basically, we would like to have
> users' real IP (IP used to access CNBlog proxy) displayed and logged
> at Wikimedia.
>
> We send this e-mail to here on behalf of many Chinese users. We hope
> to have kind attention and help from the Foundation. Thank you very
> much.
>
> [[User:Shizhao]]
> [[User:R.O.C]]
> [[User:Yongxinge]]
> [[User:Mountain]]

Hiya.

Agreed. We must do our best so that inland users really succeed to
access the projects. I am not sure I understood the method you plan to
use to ensure CNBlog proxy users will have access. Can you clarify ? I
will read the wikitech as well...

Ant

Re: Problems on block ip user in Chinese Wikipedia

Michael R. Irwin
mingli yuan wrote:

> Basically, we would like to have
>users' real IP (IP used to access CNBlog proxy) displayed and logged
>at Wikimedia.

Would this not raise concern that it makes it easy for governmental
authorities to trace and persecute individual users?

At the moment when I am careless regarding logins, my IP address is
logged instead of my user handle.  This is not a concern for me at the
moment because I live in the U.S. and enjoy rather large protections
regarding U.S. Constitutional rights to free speech and freedom to
assemble and associate.

While some cracks in these vaunted rights and freedoms have appeared for
Islamic or Arabic citizens as an expediency of war, a restoring backlash
seems to be building adequate to keep my personal risks from online
participation low enough to incurr for the moment.

How would you propose that we warn new Chinese users adequately that
anything they post to a Wikimedia site can be used against them by
agents of their government?

Would such warnings incurr any liability to the Wikimedia Foundation or
its users from the more militant factions of the Chinese Government?

Personally I have no intentions of traveling to China anytime soon but
other peoples who participate in our online communities may have
different plans for the near or far future.   It would be extremely
disruptive to have a Wikimania conducted in Beijing impacted by the
highly televised arrest and show trial of vocal care free Wikimanians
not protected by the armed forces of the United States of America.

regards,
lazyquasar

Re: Problems on block ip user in Chinese Wikipedia

Kirill Lokshin

> Personally I have no intentions of traveling to China anytime soon but
> other peoples who participate in our online communities may have
> different plans for the near or far future.   It would be extremely
> disruptive to have a Wikimania conducted in Beijing impacted by the
> highly televised arrest and show trial of vocal care free Wikimanians
> not protected by the armed forces of the United States of America.

That's just an argument for not having Wikimania in Beijing, then.  In
any case, if the Chinese authorities become upset enough with
Wikimedia to risk the PR backlash that would come from arresting
tourists, it presumably won't be because of mildly-worded warnings on
the site.

Kirill Lokshin