Progress

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
After the completion of the Urdu, Malayalam and Bengali mobile interface for Wikipedia, the Telugu localisation has now also been completed as well :)

On the Dutch Wikipedia we are experimenting with a special mobile main page .. When people arrive on their mobile it may look good .. http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portaal:Hoofdpagina_(mobiel) There is still too much on it; we need to consider the speed and the cost of mobile traffic as well.
Thanks,
    GerardM

Fwd: Progress

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
That was the wrong url .. http://nl.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portaal:Hoofdpagina_%28mobiel%29
Thanks,
     Gerard

Re: Fwd: Progress

Shiju Alex
Gerard,

It will be good if this facility can be enabled for Wiktionary also. Mobile version of Wiktionary will be more beneficial to the users than Wikipedia.

I know that developers are trying for it. Prioritizing this bug/task will make the mobile version of wikis much popular.

Shiju

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 9:55 PM, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hoi,
That was the wrong url .. http://nl.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portaal:Hoofdpagina_%28mobiel%29
Thanks,
     Gerard

Re: Fwd: Progress

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
I completely agree. When the localisation for a language is done, it needs a bit of work and coordination to enable the software for other MediaWiki installations like Wiktionary as well.

There are in my opinion two things you can do, you can write to the foundation or wikitech mailing list and you can write to the same mailing lists asking for advice on the mobile mainpage you created for your Wiktionary.. I am sure the last option will be more impressive and get you more results :)

PS I know there are more languages spoken and written in India .. there are only 25 messages to localise !
Thanks,
    GerardM

On 28 February 2010 17:34, Shiju Alex <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Your friend in time,

Cherian/Srikanth/R/

Wikipedia on YOUR MIND? Join us on Twitter....

Re: Fwd: Progress

Shiju Alex
Srikanth,

For Mobile Wiki, you need to translate messages listed on this page:
http://translatewiki.net/w/i.php?title=Special%3ATranslate&task=view&group=out-wikimediamobile&language=hi&limit=250

But I found that User Vsrawat from Hindi Wikipedia has already started translating it.

It is better to consult the veteran Marathi/Hindi wikipedians Mahitgar/Kaustub before translating messgaes to Hindi. They are translating the system messages (to Hindi/Marathi) through translate wiki for more than 2 years now.

Always consult the local language wiki community regarding localization of system messages.

Shiju

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 4:17 AM, Srikanth Ramakrishnan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Typically you have set in your preferences the language you want to localise in. This will make the "translation tool" default to your language. Every language has a portal page for instance http://translatewiki.net/wiki/Portal:Hi for Hindi, there you find the "translation tool" as well. In addition there is the "language statistics" which is an alternate route into everything that needs localisation.

In addition people can give you the direct URL for something that needs doing .. http://translatewiki.net/w/i.php?title=Special:Translate&group=out-wikimediamobile&language=hi for instance is specifically for Wikimedia Mobile and Hindi. For some messages some background is provided in the "qqq" messages ..

We provide support in our IRC channel: <a id="ch-url-anchor" class="chatzilla-link" href="irc://freenode/mediawiki-i18n">irc://freenode/mediawiki-i18n and you can ask questions in our Support page :)
Thanks,
     GerardM

On 1 March 2010 04:17, Srikanth Ramakrishnan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks a lot. :D

On 1 March 2010 12:55, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hoi,
Typically you have set in your preferences the language you want to localise in. This will make the "translation tool" default to your language. Every language has a portal page for instance http://translatewiki.net/wiki/Portal:Hi for Hindi, there you find the "translation tool" as well. In addition there is the "language statistics" which is an alternate route into everything that needs localisation.

In addition people can give you the direct URL for something that needs doing .. http://translatewiki.net/w/i.php?title=Special:Translate&group=out-wikimediamobile&language=hi for instance is specifically for Wikimedia Mobile and Hindi. For some messages some background is provided in the "qqq" messages ..

We provide support in our IRC channel: irc://freenode/mediawiki-i18n and you can ask questions in our Support page :)
[...]

praveenp
Gerard Meijssen wrote:
Hoi,
Typically you have set in your preferences the language you want to localise in. This will make the "translation tool" default to your language. Every language has a portal page for instance http://translatewiki.net/wiki/Portal:Hi for Hindi, there you find the "translation tool" as well. In addition there is the "language statistics" which is an alternate route into everything that needs localisation.

In addition people can give you the direct URL for something that needs doing .. http://translatewiki.net/w/i.php?title=Special:Translate&group=out-wikimediamobile&language=hi for instance is specifically for Wikimedia Mobile and Hindi. For some messages some background is provided in the "qqq" messages ..

We provide support in our IRC channel: <a moz-do-not-send="true" id="ch-url-anchor" class="chatzilla-link" href="irc://freenode/mediawiki-i18n">irc://freenode/mediawiki-i18n and you can ask questions in our Support page :)
Thanks,
     GerardM
https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=22682

--
Wikipedia Affiliate Button

Re: Fwd: Progress

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
http://ultimategerardm.blogspot.com/2010/03/malayalam-wikipedia-requests-mobile.html

I intend to ask Parul, the usability expert to give comments on our designs ... We want to be good to our readers right ? Do you think this is a good idea ?
Thanks.
    Gerard

Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> Hoi,
> http://ultimategerardm.blogspot.com/2010/03/malayalam-wikipedia-requests-mobile.html
>

> I intend to ask Parul, the usability expert to give comments on our
> designs ... We want to be good to our readers right ? Do you think
> this is a good idea ?

Yes. Current design is just a collection of templates of featured
article, featured image and 'in the news'. A rough imitation of Swedish
wiki.