Project Idea " Extension: Offline MediaWiki "

Project Idea " Extension: Offline MediaWiki "

adisha porwal
Greeting,
I want to contribute to wikimedia and for that Outreachy
<https://www.gnome.org/outreachy/> intership program looks perfect fit for
me.

For participating in outreachy internship, I need a project idea that I
will be working on during my internship period. The project idea is to
develop a new extension to make MediaWiki available offline suggested by
bmansurov <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/p/bmansurov/>.

 Is their any existing extension or project which implements this project
idea or similar to it?If yes, please provide link to that project.

--
Regards
Adisha Porwal

Re: Project Idea " Extension: Offline MediaWiki "

Brian Wolff
On 9/22/15, adisha porwal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Greeting,
> I want to contribute to wikimedia and for that Outreachy
> <https://www.gnome.org/outreachy/> intership program looks perfect fit for
> me.
>
> For participating in outreachy internship, I need a project idea that I
> will be working on during my internship period. The project idea is to
> develop a new extension to make MediaWiki available offline suggested by
> bmansurov <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/p/bmansurov/>.
>
>  Is their any existing extension or project which implements this project
> idea or similar to it?If yes, please provide link to that project.

I'm not sure if bmansurov has anything specific in mind, but generally
speaking, there have been several attempts to do that sort of thing.

The most prominent is Kiwix ( http://www.kiwix.org/wiki/Main_Page ). I
imagine they would love to have an outreachy person help them out.
They are separate organization from WMF, so I'm not sure if there's
logistical issues there (But I think they've participated in GSOC in
the past. Qgil would know for sure if there are any issues in regards
to that)

There are other offline things. I believe CScott was doing work
involving printable (pdf) versions of Wikipedia content (
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Offline_content_generator ) . That
might be an area of interest to you.

--
-Brian

Re: Project Idea " Extension: Offline MediaWiki "

Daren Welsh
See also this unfunded grant proposal [1]. This is just for offline reading
capability.

If you want to level up, you could create a way to have multiple (remote)
clones of a wiki that are edited offline and later synchronized with the
"master wiki". This was discussed at Semantic MediaWiki Conference Fall
2014 [2]. This was also discussed at the 2015 Wikimedia Hackathon [3].

If you end up doing some work on any of this, please let me know as NASA
Flight Operations would love to make use of these features.

Daren

[1]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:PEG/Offline_MediaWiki_search_for_NASA_and_Medicine
[2]
https://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/SMWCon_Fall_2014/Create_camp#Challenge_1:_Syncing_wikis_-_.E2.80.9CGitify_MW.E2.80.9D

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 12:39 PM, Brian Wolff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 9/22/15, adisha porwal <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Greeting,
> > I want to contribute to wikimedia and for that Outreachy
> > <https://www.gnome.org/outreachy/> intership program looks perfect fit
> for
> > me.
> >
> > For participating in outreachy internship, I need a project idea that I
> > will be working on during my internship period. The project idea is to
> > develop a new extension to make MediaWiki available offline suggested by
> > bmansurov <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/p/bmansurov/>.
> >
> >  Is their any existing extension or project which implements this project
> > idea or similar to it?If yes, please provide link to that project.
> >

> I'm not sure if bmansurov has anything specific in mind, but generally
> speaking, there have been several attempts to do that sort of thing.
>
> The most prominent is Kiwix ( http://www.kiwix.org/wiki/Main_Page ). I
> imagine they would love to have an outreachy person help them out.
> They are separate organization from WMF, so I'm not sure if there's
> logistical issues there (But I think they've participated in GSOC in
> the past. Qgil would know for sure if there are any issues in regards
> to that)
>
> There are other offline things. I believe CScott was doing work
> involving printable (pdf) versions of Wikipedia content (
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Offline_content_generator ) . That
> might be an area of interest to you.
>
> --
> -Brian

Re: Project Idea " Extension: Offline MediaWiki "

Brian Wolff
That's interesting, although I think it is too large a project for the
Outreachy program.

As an aside, its not entirely clear to me in the grant proposal what
precisely is the use-case of the proposed software (Specifically, what
features are needed that would make it make sense to make something
new, as opposed to improve existing offline projects).

--
-bawolff

On 9/22/15, Daren Welsh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> See also this unfunded grant proposal [1]. This is just for offline reading
> capability.
>
> If you want to level up, you could create a way to have multiple (remote)
> clones of a wiki that are edited offline and later synchronized with the
> "master wiki". This was discussed at Semantic MediaWiki Conference Fall
> 2014 [2]. This was also discussed at the 2015 Wikimedia Hackathon [3].
>
> If you end up doing some work on any of this, please let me know as NASA
> Flight Operations would love to make use of these features.
>
> Daren
>
> [1]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:PEG/Offline_MediaWiki_search_for_NASA_and_Medicine
> [2]
> https://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/SMWCon_Fall_2014/Create_camp#Challenge_1:_Syncing_wikis_-_.E2.80.9CGitify_MW.E2.80.9D
> [3] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T100154
>

> On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 12:39 PM, Brian Wolff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 9/22/15, adisha porwal <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Greeting,
>> > I want to contribute to wikimedia and for that Outreachy
>> > <https://www.gnome.org/outreachy/> intership program looks perfect fit
>> for
>> > me.
>> >
>> > For participating in outreachy internship, I need a project idea that I
>> > will be working on during my internship period. The project idea is to
>> > develop a new extension to make MediaWiki available offline suggested by
>> > bmansurov <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/p/bmansurov/>.
>> >
>> >  Is their any existing extension or project which implements this
>> > project
>> > idea or similar to it?If yes, please provide link to that project.
>> >

>> I'm not sure if bmansurov has anything specific in mind, but generally
>> speaking, there have been several attempts to do that sort of thing.
>>
>> The most prominent is Kiwix ( http://www.kiwix.org/wiki/Main_Page ). I
>> imagine they would love to have an outreachy person help them out.
>> They are separate organization from WMF, so I'm not sure if there's
>> logistical issues there (But I think they've participated in GSOC in
>> the past. Qgil would know for sure if there are any issues in regards
>> to that)
>>
>> There are other offline things. I believe CScott was doing work
>> involving printable (pdf) versions of Wikipedia content (
>> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Offline_content_generator ) . That
>> might be an area of interest to you.
>>
>> --
>> -Brian

Re: Project Idea " Extension: Offline MediaWiki "

Daniel Moisset
There's another project I'm familiar with, although it is somewhat
wikipedia oriented: https://github.com/PyAr/CDPedia

Regards,
    D.

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 2:10 PM, adisha porwal <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Greeting,
> I want to contribute to wikimedia and for that Outreachy
> <https://www.gnome.org/outreachy/> intership program looks perfect fit for
> me.
>
> For participating in outreachy internship, I need a project idea that I
> will be working on during my internship period. The project idea is to
> develop a new extension to make MediaWiki available offline suggested by
> bmansurov <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/p/bmansurov/>.
>
>  Is their any existing extension or project which implements this project
> idea or similar to it?If yes, please provide link to that project.
>
> --
> Regards
> Adisha Porwal

Daniel F. Moisset - Technical Leader
www.machinalis.com
Skype: @dmoisset

Re: Project Idea " Extension: Offline MediaWiki "

Emmanuel Engelhart-5
On 22.09.2015 19:39, Brian Wolff wrote:

> On 9/22/15, adisha porwal <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Greeting,
>> I want to contribute to wikimedia and for that Outreachy
>> <https://www.gnome.org/outreachy/> intership program looks perfect fit for
>> me.
>
> The most prominent is Kiwix ( http://www.kiwix.org/wiki/Main_Page ). I
> imagine they would love to have an outreachy person help them out.
> They are separate organization from WMF, so I'm not sure if there's
> logistical issues there (But I think they've participated in GSOC in
> the past. Qgil would know for sure if there are any issues in regards
> to that)
Adisha, that a nice proposition. Since 10 years the Kiwix team has been
working to propose cutting edge solutions to make the web available
offline. If you don't want to reinvent the wheel and bother about the
impact of your work, then Kiwix has a range of nice technical challenges
(mostly in C++, Python or Javascript). If you are curious, let me know
your skills and things you might be motivated to work on.

Regards
Emmanuel
--
Kiwix - Wikipedia Offline & more
* Web: http://www.kiwix.org

Re: Project Idea " Extension: Offline MediaWiki "

Gergo Tisza
Hi Adisha, thanks for your interest in improving MediaWiki!

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 10:10 AM, adisha porwal <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> For participating in outreachy internship, I need a project idea that I
> will be working on during my internship period. The project idea is to
> develop a new extension to make MediaWiki available offline suggested by
> bmansurov <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/p/bmansurov/>.

Can you explain in more detail what you are planning to do? Is the project
about exporting MediaWiki content in some format that can be used offline
(such as a static HTML dump)? Or about setting up a MediaWiki installation
that mirrors another one? Or about storing wiki content on the client so
that it can be accessed when the client is offline (as in
wiki-offline.jakearchibald.com)?

Re: Project Idea " Extension: Offline MediaWiki "

Purodha Blissenbach
Hi adisha porwal

The German Chapter of the WMF has published an offline Version of
Wikipedia on CD or DVD.

Purodha

On 22.09.2015 19:10, adisha porwal wrote:

> Greeting,
> I want to contribute to wikimedia and for that Outreachy
> <https://www.gnome.org/outreachy/> intership program looks perfect
> fit for
> me.
>
> For participating in outreachy internship, I need a project idea that
> will be working on during my internship period. The project idea is
> develop a new extension to make MediaWiki available offline suggested
> by
> bmansurov <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/p/bmansurov/>.
>
>  Is their any existing extension or project which implements this
> project
> idea or similar to it?If yes, please provide link to that project.

Re: Project Idea " Extension: Offline MediaWiki "

Quim Gil-2
Adisha created https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T113396 and I commented
there before seeing this thread.

Accidentally, I related that proposal with editing offline, which is an
interesting scenario that has in fact more than one related task in
Phabricator -- see https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T106898#1665449

And yes, Kiwix projects are welcome to Outreachy / GSoC / etc, just like
any other projects with a connection with Wikimedia or MediaWiki. In fact,
Kiwix has been already one of the main providers of Google Code-in tasks.

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 7:10 PM, adisha porwal <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Greeting,
> I want to contribute to wikimedia and for that Outreachy
> <https://www.gnome.org/outreachy/> intership program looks perfect fit for
> me.
>
> For participating in outreachy internship, I need a project idea that I
> will be working on during my internship period. The project idea is to
> develop a new extension to make MediaWiki available offline suggested by
> bmansurov <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/p/bmansurov/>.
>
>  Is their any existing extension or project which implements this project
> idea or similar to it?If yes, please provide link to that project.
>
> --
> Regards
> Adisha Porwal

Quim Gil
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil

Re: Project Idea " Extension: Offline MediaWiki "

C. Scott Ananian
Note that I presented a tutorial at the latest wikimania which created
a simple offline version of wikipedia in ~100 lines of code:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T105175

That code could be further developed into a proper tool, with
user-configurable offlining, offline editing, etc.  One of the slides
in my presentation outlined a decent number of "next steps" that could
be done.

But I personally would love to see development of the zimwriter for
OCG, which would allow us to restore the "download as ZIM" option for
Kiwix. A start at that code is at
https://github.com/cscott/mw-ocg-zimwriter but it needs to be
finished.

Editing offline is an interesting challenge.  It might be subsumed on
the back-end by the real-time collaboration work, since that will
introduce more fine-grained mechanisms for merging changes.  But
actual implementations in the field are always useful, even if limited
(for example, limited to edits where the article has not been modified
by anyone else while the editor was offline), since getting people to
actually use a tool like this always helps us learn more about how it
*should* work.
 --scott

(http://cscott.net)

Re: Project Idea " Extension: Offline MediaWiki "

C. Scott Ananian
As I wrote on https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T113396, I would be
willing to mentor work on mw-ocg-zimwriter.  I believe Kelson
volunteered about to mentor work on kiwix, if Adisha would rather work
on that part of the project.  (Offline editing support would be very
cool, for instance, although perhaps quite a technical challenge.)
 --scott

--
(http://cscott.net)

Re: Project Idea " Extension: Offline MediaWiki "

Purodha Blissenbach
There has been a project in the past that converted a MediaWiki code
base from SQL to use svn or git as message store. I do not remember
which. It worked afaicr but was discontinued as not being used irl, and
pretty slow, too.

Yet offine editing and then merging via an api that uses a similar
approach could indeed be cool, imho.

Purodha