Projects for the European Parliament

Ilario Valdelli
Dear all,
the Grant Advisory Committee of WMF decided to fund this project:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:PEG/Olaf_Kosinsky/Wikipedians_in_European_Parliament

It's a project to take photos of the members of the European Parliament and "to do lobbying" as educationa purpose, it means to explain them how free licenses work.

Some members of WM CH already gave the availability (Manuel Schneider for instance), but it would be good if more members of Wikimedia CH can help.

It's sufficient to contact the project manager, Olaf Kosinsky, or the staff of Wikimedia CH.

The project replies some successful projects done in German community:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Landtagsprojekt/Nutzung

regards

--
Ilario Valdelli
Wikimedia CH

Re: Projects for the European Parliament

Manuel Schneider-3
Am 07.01.2014 11:34, schrieb Ilario Valdelli:
> the Grant Advisory Committee of WMF decided to fund this project:
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:PEG/Olaf_Kosinsky/Wikipedians_in_European_Parliament

Thanks Ilario for spreading the word.

The project page is on Commons, you can find more details there also in
German and French and you can register there if you want to participate:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Wikipedians_in_European_Parliament

The goal is to have as many languages (of the EU) present as possible.

/Manuel
Lausanne, +41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch

Re: Projects for the European Parliament

Ludovic Péron
Hi

@Manuel : I've two french volunteers for this project. Say me to create contact between them and Olaf.

Ludovic

2014/1/7 Manuel Schneider <[hidden email]>
Am 07.01.2014 11:34, schrieb Ilario Valdelli:
> the Grant Advisory Committee of WMF decided to fund this project:
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:PEG/Olaf_Kosinsky/Wikipedians_in_European_Parliament

Thanks Ilario for spreading the word.

The project page is on Commons, you can find more details there also in
German and French and you can register there if you want to participate:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Wikipedians_in_European_Parliament

The goal is to have as many languages (of the EU) present as possible.

/Manuel
Lausanne, <a href="tel:%2B41%20%2821%29%2034066-22" value="+41213406622">+41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch

Re: Projects for the European Parliament

Olaf Kosinsky-3

Lausanne, <a href="tel:%2B41%20%2821%29%2034066-22" value="+41213406622" target="_blank">+41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch

Re: Projects for the European Parliament

Ludovic Péron
Hi Olaf,

Thanks, we'll continue to discuss together in private mail.

Ludovic

2014/1/7 Olaf Kosinsky <[hidden email]>
my mail: [hidden email]

2014/1/7 Ludovic Péron <[hidden email]>
Hi

@Manuel : I've two french volunteers for this project. Say me to create contact between them and Olaf.

Ludovic

2014/1/7 Manuel Schneider <[hidden email]>
Am 07.01.2014 11:34, schrieb Ilario Valdelli:
> the Grant Advisory Committee of WMF decided to fund this project:
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:PEG/Olaf_Kosinsky/Wikipedians_in_European_Parliament

Thanks Ilario for spreading the word.

The project page is on Commons, you can find more details there also in
German and French and you can register there if you want to participate:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Wikipedians_in_European_Parliament

The goal is to have as many languages (of the EU) present as possible.

/Manuel
Lausanne, <a href="tel:%2B41%20%2821%29%2034066-22" value="+41213406622" target="_blank">+41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch

Re: Projects for the European Parliament

Olaf Kosinsky-3
ok

Am 07.01.2014 14:17, schrieb Ludovic Péron:
> @Manuel : I've two french volunteers for this project. Say me to create
> contact between them and Olaf.

great, thanks! I see you are already in contact :-)

/Manuel
Lausanne, +41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch

Re: Projects for the European Parliament

Ilario Valdelli
Yes, contacting him.

I am trying to provide someone in Italian language (and may be) also in Spanish.

regards

Am 07.01.2014 14:45, schrieb Ilario Valdelli:
> I am trying to provide someone in Italian language (and may be) also in
> Spanish.

perfect and much needed ;-)

Iolanda told me that there are two potential volunteers from WMIT who
might participate.
My question concerning Travel Support of these volunteers by WMIT has
not been answered, so I don't know it WMIT will support them.

/Manuel
Lausanne, +41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch

Re: Projects for the European Parliament

Ilario Valdelli
Yes, WM IT probably will not answer.

It may be checked if they would operate under the umbrella of WM CH.

Regards

Am 07.01.2014 15:58, schrieb Ilario Valdelli:
> Yes, WM IT probably will not answer.
>
> It may be checked if they would operate under the umbrella of WM CH.

well, they could at least say "no". That's fine with me.

If WMCH supports it's great! I also got two requests from WMPT and WMFI
because they want to send somebody but don't have the funds for it.
I told them if they get me the person and the actual costs I'll get them
the funding - hope bigger chapters will help out here. Would be good if
we could have at least one volunteer from each EU country / language. I
even think about asking turkish and norwegian volunteers (turkish
because it is also official language in Cyprus, and they try to get into
the EU - and we hardly have any exchange with turkish editors anyway).

/Manuel
Lausanne, +41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch

Re: Projects for the European Parliament

Yann Heurtaux
Is there any communications campaign / editorial calendar planned by WMCH at the moment to support this terrific project?

Timeline is bad for me (I have a huge project going on until end of Feb. for LIFT14, climaxing during the conference, which is Feb. 5-7 unfortunately — more on that tomorroy), but let me know if I can help, at least by proofreading/helping to improve what you may have.

If there is currently no plan to communicate all-in on that, get one. Huge potential on a 2014 Activity Report for instance, just sayin' ;)

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 4:05 PM, Manuel Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 07.01.2014 15:58, schrieb Ilario Valdelli:
> Yes, WM IT probably will not answer.
>
> It may be checked if they would operate under the umbrella of WM CH.

well, they could at least say "no". That's fine with me.

If WMCH supports it's great! I also got two requests from WMPT and WMFI
because they want to send somebody but don't have the funds for it.
I told them if they get me the person and the actual costs I'll get them
the funding - hope bigger chapters will help out here. Would be good if
we could have at least one volunteer from each EU country / language. I
even think about asking turkish and norwegian volunteers (turkish
because it is also official language in Cyprus, and they try to get into
the EU - and we hardly have any exchange with turkish editors anyway).

/Manuel
Lausanne, +41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch

- Yann Heurtaux
Freelance Conversationalist
@shalf - http://shalf.me
+41 78 845 9266

Re: Projects for the European Parliament

Charles Andrès-2
Hello Yann,

There is no « institutional plan » for Wikimedia CH around these project. It doesn’t mean that WMCH is not supporting, on the contrary, but WMCH will not actively engaged in a action related to this project without WMCH unless swiss wikimedians ask us for support.

Anyway, WMCH can support by providing photographic materials https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Wikimedia_CH/Lending_equipment

especially the lights and the sony A900 camera.

Cheers

Charles

Charles ANDRES, Chief Science Officer
"Wikimedia CH" – Association for the advancement of free knowledge –
www.wikimedia.ch
Skype: charles.andres.wmch

Le 7 janv. 2014 à 22:37, Yann Heurtaux <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Is there any communications campaign / editorial calendar planned by WMCH at the moment to support this terrific project?

Timeline is bad for me (I have a huge project going on until end of Feb. for LIFT14, climaxing during the conference, which is Feb. 5-7 unfortunately — more on that tomorroy), but let me know if I can help, at least by proofreading/helping to improve what you may have.

If there is currently no plan to communicate all-in on that, get one. Huge potential on a 2014 Activity Report for instance, just sayin' ;)

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 4:05 PM, Manuel Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 07.01.2014 15:58, schrieb Ilario Valdelli:
> Yes, WM IT probably will not answer.
>
> It may be checked if they would operate under the umbrella of WM CH.

well, they could at least say "no". That's fine with me.

If WMCH supports it's great! I also got two requests from WMPT and WMFI
because they want to send somebody but don't have the funds for it.
I told them if they get me the person and the actual costs I'll get them
the funding - hope bigger chapters will help out here. Would be good if
we could have at least one volunteer from each EU country / language. I
even think about asking turkish and norwegian volunteers (turkish
because it is also official language in Cyprus, and they try to get into
the EU - and we hardly have any exchange with turkish editors anyway).

/Manuel
Lausanne, +41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch

- Yann Heurtaux
Freelance Conversationalist
@shalf - http://shalf.me
+41 78 845 9266

Re: Projects for the European Parliament

Yann Heurtaux
I'm talking about at least a blog post detailing WMCH support, Charles ;)
Nowadays, that's a campaign, if done right (i.e. something that can leverage press coverage attention).

Ludo et al.: Is there any plan for a member of the WMCH "Photo team" to go there? Like one or two with a French Passport? ;)

Please keep in mind that story-wise, we are the perfect chapter to communicate about that project : languages-mix, plus special position of Switzerland in political Europe (not really a member, not really less than a member).

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 11:33 AM, Charles Andrès <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Yann,

There is no « institutional plan » for Wikimedia CH around these project. It doesn’t mean that WMCH is not supporting, on the contrary, but WMCH will not actively engaged in a action related to this project without WMCH unless swiss wikimedians ask us for support.

Anyway, WMCH can support by providing photographic materials https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Wikimedia_CH/Lending_equipment

especially the lights and the sony A900 camera.

Cheers

Charles

Charles ANDRES, Chief Science Officer
"Wikimedia CH" – Association for the advancement of free knowledge –
www.wikimedia.ch
Skype: charles.andres.wmch
IRC://irc.freenode.net/wikimedia-ch

Le 7 janv. 2014 à 22:37, Yann Heurtaux <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Is there any communications campaign / editorial calendar planned by WMCH at the moment to support this terrific project?

Timeline is bad for me (I have a huge project going on until end of Feb. for LIFT14, climaxing during the conference, which is Feb. 5-7 unfortunately — more on that tomorroy), but let me know if I can help, at least by proofreading/helping to improve what you may have.

If there is currently no plan to communicate all-in on that, get one. Huge potential on a 2014 Activity Report for instance, just sayin' ;)

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 4:05 PM, Manuel Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 07.01.2014 15:58, schrieb Ilario Valdelli:
> Yes, WM IT probably will not answer.
>
> It may be checked if they would operate under the umbrella of WM CH.

well, they could at least say "no". That's fine with me.

If WMCH supports it's great! I also got two requests from WMPT and WMFI
because they want to send somebody but don't have the funds for it.
I told them if they get me the person and the actual costs I'll get them
the funding - hope bigger chapters will help out here. Would be good if
we could have at least one volunteer from each EU country / language. I
even think about asking turkish and norwegian volunteers (turkish
because it is also official language in Cyprus, and they try to get into
the EU - and we hardly have any exchange with turkish editors anyway).

/Manuel
Lausanne, +41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch

- Yann Heurtaux
Freelance Conversationalist
@shalf - http://shalf.me
+41 78 845 9266

- Yann Heurtaux
Freelance Conversationalist
@shalf - http://shalf.me
+41 78 845 9266

Re: Projects for the European Parliament

Ilario Valdelli
It's important to say, in my opinion, that the project was not approved until some days ago because the main focus was only the creation of the new content (pictures of the members of the Parliament).

Only at the start of this week the project plan is changed in order to do more "lobbying" and after the statement of WMF that the Foundation can fund projects which may do lobbying.

In my opinion the project itself has been submitted like clone of a (successful) German project more focused on photos than in communication and lobbying, for this reason it seems that there is no strategy of communication.

Personally I think that the interviews to these members (also by videoclip) about their opinions on free licenses may be a really good content and shared with all the movement.

Unfortunately the time slot is too short (2 or 3 weeks) in order to organize a good communication plan.

I think that WM CH may collect all the material in order to create a good communication plan afterwards.

Regards

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 1:17 PM, Yann Heurtaux <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

even think about asking turkish and norwegian volunteers (turkish
because it is also official language in Cyprus, and they try to get into
the EU - and we hardly have any exchange with turkish editors anyway).

/Manuel
Lausanne, <a href="tel:%2B41%20%2821%29%2034066-22" value="+41213406622" target="_blank">+41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch

- Yann Heurtaux
Freelance Conversationalist
@shalf - http://shalf.me

- Yann Heurtaux
Freelance Conversationalist
@shalf - http://shalf.me

Ilario Valdelli
Wikimedia CH
Verein zur Förderung Freien Wissens
Switzerland - 8008 Zürich
Tel: +41764821371
http://www.wikimedia.ch

Re: Projects for the European Parliament

Hi,

I should clarify about this EP project:

* it has been started by a small group of german and austrian
Wikipedians who have been active doing the State Parliament projects in
DE and AT. Project manager and contact person to the EP is Olaf Kosinsky
who also lead the State Parliament Project 2012 - 2014 with a Grant of WMDE.

* the project has never been approved, it doesn't need to. It's done by
volunteers, not by any entities.
Entities have been asked to contribute, such as a WMF grant was
requested (and funded). In the past the local chapter has supported the
volunteers to go to the State Parliaments by reimbursing travel costs
and lending equipment - both WMDE and WMAT have regular programs for
this, thus no special budget or approval was needed.
In the case of the EP the goal is to involve as many EU countries /
languages as possible. There budget has been split into general project
cost which are no country-dependant and costs for volunteers. The
general costs will be covered through a WMF grant, the costs of the
volunteers by their local chapters, through the general programs these
chapters offer. So in most countries no approvals are needed. In some
cases we need to find scholarships, eg. as WMFI or WMPT have no funds to
support their volunteers and several countries have no chapter at all.
If the WMF grant wouldn't have been granted Olaf would have had to look
for other sources, eg. another chapter or by splitting the costs to all
chapters. There is also still the possibility that the EP supports the
project which would increase the money returned to the WMF after the
project.

* I'd like to especially point out that the project itself never
changed. The WMF grant was approved as requested. The goal never was to
"only take pictured" and it still does not include "lobbying". It is
taking pictures, writing / improving articles, translating between
languages, talking to MEPs to educate them about the Wikimedia mission.
Beside that volunteers will learn from each other, eg. from those
experiences made with the State Parliaments in AT and DE. Obviously it
will increase cooperation between chapters and language community.

* WMCH go involved as it was - like other entities and volunteers -
informed through mails on public mailinglists like the Chapters
mailinglist and Wikimedia-l. I am happy that WMCH was among the first
entities to respond and generously offer their support. Charles also
helped me and got Ludovic from WMFR on board which I am very grateful of.
So, if anyone if interested in participating or simply spreading the
word to other entities / volunteers please check out the project page on
Wikimedia Commons:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Wikipedians_in_European_Parliament

I have written to a few chapters in person to point them at the mails
sent on the global mailinglists and make sure they are being noticed but
I didn't write to all of them yet. So if you happen to have any contacts
feel free to forward the information. Better two people write than nobody.