Pronunciation recording tool wanted

Lars Aronsson
In Wiktionary, it's very convenient that some words
have sound illustrations, e.g.
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/go%C3%BBter

These audio bites are simple 2-3 second OGG files, e.g.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Fr-go%C3%BBter.ogg

but they are limited in number. It would be very
easy to record more of them, but before you get
started it takes some time to learn the details,
and then you need to upload to Commons and specify
a license, and provide a description, ... It's not
very likely that the person who does all that is
also a good voice in each desired language.

Here's a better plan:

Provide a tool on the toolserver, or any other
server, having a simple link syntax that specifies
the language code and the text, e.g.
http://toolserver.org/mytool.php?lang=fr&text=gouter

The tool uses a cookie, that remembers that this
user has agreed to submit contributions using cc0.
At the first visit, this question is asked as a
click-through license.

The user is now prompted with the text (from the URL)
and recording starts when pressing a button. The
user says the word, and presses the button again.
The tool saves the OGG sound, uploads it to Commons
with the filename fr-gouter-XYZ789.ogg and
the cc0 declaration and all metadata, placing it
in a category of recorded but unverified words.

Another user can record the same word, and it will
be given another random letter-digit code.

As a separate part of the tool, other volunteers are
asked to verify or rate (1 to 5 stars) the recordings
available in a given language. The rating is stored
as categories on commons.

Now, a separate procedure (manual or a bot job) can
pick words that need new or improved recordings,
and list them (with links to the tool) on a normal
wiki page.

I know HTML supports uploading of a file, but I don't
know how to solve the recording of sound directly to
a web service. Perhaps this could be a Skype application?
I have no idea. Please just be creative. It should be
solvable, because this is 2013 and not 2003.

--
   Lars Aronsson ([hidden email])

Re: Pronunciation recording tool wanted

mathieu lovato stumpf guntz
Le 2013-03-13 02:01, Lars Aronsson a écrit :

> Here's a better plan:
>
> […]
>
> The user is now prompted with the text (from the URL)
> and recording starts when pressing a button. The
> user says the word, and presses the button again.
> The tool saves the OGG sound, uploads it to Commons
> with the filename fr-gouter-XYZ789.ogg and
> the cc0 declaration and all metadata, placing it
> in a category of recorded but unverified words.

A complementary tool that I would find interesting, would be to have an
automatic transcription to IPA. Also in the other way, having a voice
synthese tool from the IPA would enable to have an uniform timbre in all
prononciation. Eventualy, users may configure their favorite timbre.

--
Association Culture-Libre
http://www.culture-libre.org/

Re: Pronunciation recording tool wanted

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Lars Aronsson, 13/03/2013 02:01:
> [...] Provide a tool on the toolserver, or any other
> server, having a simple link syntax that specifies
> the language code and the text, e.g.
> http://toolserver.org/mytool.php?lang=fr&text=gouter  [...]

Why should it be a web service at all? Hardest part is probably
communicating with audio drivers of your machine?
I recently asked one such tool at
<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.org.wikimedia.foundation/64143/> and I
was pointed to http://croak.it/ ; I didn't try it and I don't know if
it's something one could build upon, but surely it's not a complete
solution for us, lacking upload in particular.

Nemo

Re: Pronunciation recording tool wanted

Amgine-3

Re: Pronunciation recording tool wanted

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Amgine, 13/03/2013 20:24:
> The benefit of a web app/service is the extremely low hurdle for users
> to become contributors (the original reason for wikipedia, remember.)

Sure. However, main loss of time is IMHO:
1) configuring your recording software to work with your hardware (Linux
or Windows, I never managed to do it – not enough incentives of course);
2) cutting and possibly converting and renaming the recording into an
audio file suitable for upload (and this for many files of few seconds –
can't even imagine starting);
3) uploading it to Commons with all that this means.
Finding words to pronounce and adding the audio files are minor problems.
In short, I think that a tool integrating steps 1–3 would be so wondeful
that the small burden of installing it wouldn't be an obstacle, in short
it's not worth being a requirement in my opinion.
However, Google Hangout shows that sometimes web applications are
smarter at interacting with hardware than local applications, and my
competence is close to zero, so my point is probably moot. (Sorry for
wasting even more of your time by elaborating on it.)

Nemo

On 03/13/2013 10:34 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo) wrote:
> Why should it be a web service at all?

Maybe it should be an Android app?
Here is a way to determine the success:
Wiktionary exists in 170 languages, having
a total of 19 million articles. How many of
these articles feature audio bites? On the
English Wiktionary with 3.29 million articles,
the Template:audio is called in 61,379 places
(according to the Template Tiger tool) or
1.8 percent of all articles. It would be easy
to track how this number increases with
time, and if any new tool can make the
number increase faster. My guess is that it
right now increases very slowly.

--
   Lars Aronsson ([hidden email])

Re: Pronunciation recording tool wanted

Alhen
An Android app sounds like the perfect tool. I can take it to a quiet place
and most of them have acceptable recording quality. Some apps that come to
my head are Evernote and Catch that already do that. If you have never used
them, these two, and many others, record your voice and categorize it.

APA interpretacion, however good, seems to be a stone in the shoe. I guess
the beta version can do without that feature.

My two cents.

Erlan Vega

@alhen_
alhen at wikipedia, wikihow, wikispaces, and most places.
https://www.fb.com/wikimediabolivia
00-591-79592235