Proposal: Wikipedia loves India

Utkarshraj Atmaram
Hi everybody,

As you might be aware, the Britain Loves Wikipedia
<http://britainloveswikipedia.org/> hunt has been making waves
recently.

I was wondering if we Indian Wikipedians can launch an initiative to
get photographs for hundreds of India-related articles that don't have
even one photograph.

While there have been efforts like Wikipedia Takes Chennai in the
past, they have been too locality-centric to attract hundreds of
photographs. We need something bigger!

We have a huge number of articles without photographs in categories
such as Universities and colleges in India, Companies of India,
Buildings and structures in India, Cities and towns in India,
Festivals in India etc.

There are thousands of Indians online -- imagine if they can
contribute a photograph each about their city, village, workplace,
festivals, cuisine, school, college or alma mater!
I'm sure a lot of bloggers, Facebook users and Twitter users will be
willing to contribute photographs to Wikipedia articles. We just need
to reach out to them.

I've created a page at Wikipedia:WikiProject India/India Loves
Wikipedia, where we can brainstorm about this proposal. Please do
share your thoughts, and add this page to your watchlist to keep track
of updates:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_India/India_Loves_Wikipedia

Utkarshraj Atmaram
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Utcursch

Re: Proposal: Wikipedia loves India

Kiruba @ Kiruba.com
AWESOME IDEA.

We really should get this done.  I did the 'Wikipedia Takes Chennai' and the results have been very positive.

If we can collaborate and do it on a national scale, it would be amazing.  Count me in for certain.

Regards,

Kiruba Shankar
CEO, Business Blogging Pvt Ltd
Cell: +91-0-98415 97744
Email: [hidden email]
Personal Blog: http://Kiruba.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/kiruba
Linkedin: http://linkedin.com/in/kiruba

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 9:18 PM, Utkarshraj Atmaram <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Deepu Joseph
I'm in as well! If we can rope in some support from the media we should be able to organise a national level campaign.

Deepu Joseph
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Thunderboltz

On 5 February 2010 21:21, Kiruba @ Kiruba.com <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Abhi-20
Count me in! But coordinating something like this at the national level wont be easy. Ahh, this is exciting :)

--
വിക്കനഭി
wikkanabhi.wordpress.com

Re: Proposal: Wikipedia loves India

Anoop-10
Awesome thoughts!

To start with  "Wikipedia loves India" project, we can upload the CC-By-SA  images related to India from Flickr. There is  around 143,457 cc-by-sa images are related to India in Flickr. If we can use at least 25% of those images it would be great.

Share your thoughts

Thanks
Anoop

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 9:45 PM, Abhi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Count me in! But coordinating something like this at the national level wont be easy. Ahh, this is exciting :)

--
വിക്കനഭി
wikkanabhi.wordpress.com
flickr.com/photos/abhishek_jacob
ml.wikipedia.org/wiki/user:Abhishek_Jacob

With Regards,
Anoop P
www.anoopp.in

Re: Proposal: Wikipedia loves India

Utkarshraj Atmaram
On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 9:45 PM, Abhi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Count me in! But coordinating something like this at the national level wont
> be easy. Ahh, this is exciting :)

Hi Abhi,

While emulating Britain Loves Wikipedia and involving museums and
cultural institutions will be a huge task, using online social media
will be much easier.

Articles on famous colleges like NMIMS, popular dishes like Dal Baati
and notable companies like Indian Express Group don't have a
photograph! There are a number of young Indian internet users on
Facebook and Twitter. We just want them to catch a snap of their
college, company, the food they eat... That shouldn't be difficult.

All we need to do is reach out to them. This can be done through
Facebook, Twitter, Orkut, blogs and other media.

Utkarshraj Atmaram
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Utcursch

Re: Proposal: Wikipedia loves India

Ganesh Krishnamurthy
We have to make it easier for participants to upload the photos and
release them under CC. Commons upload tool is too complicated for a
novice. Flickr copyrights photos by default. People forget to set the
copyright to CC or tag them correctly.

My suggestion would be to setup a Facebook fan page and allow user
uploads. We can add a text on the page mentioning all uploads will be
automatically treated as CC. This is similar to text that appears
below Wikipedia edit box.

Regards,
Ganesh

On Feb 5, 2010, at 11:28 AM, Utkarshraj Atmaram <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 9:45 PM, Abhi <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> Count me in! But coordinating something like this at the national
>> level wont
>> be easy. Ahh, this is exciting :)
>>

> Hi Abhi,
>
> While emulating Britain Loves Wikipedia and involving museums and
> cultural institutions will be a huge task, using online social media
> will be much easier.
>
> Articles on famous colleges like NMIMS, popular dishes like Dal Baati
> and notable companies like Indian Express Group don't have a
> photograph! There are a number of young Indian internet users on
> Facebook and Twitter. We just want them to catch a snap of their
> college, company, the food they eat... That shouldn't be difficult.
>
> All we need to do is reach out to them. This can be done through
> Facebook, Twitter, Orkut, blogs and other media.
>
> Utkarshraj Atmaram
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Utcursch

Re: Proposal: Wikipedia loves India

Erik Moeller-4
2010/2/5 Ganesh Krishnamurthy <[hidden email]>:
> We have to make it easier for participants to upload the photos and
> release them under CC. Commons upload tool is too complicated for a
> novice. Flickr copyrights photos by default. People forget to set the
> copyright to CC or tag them correctly.
>
> My suggestion would be to setup a Facebook fan page and allow user
> uploads. We can add a text on the page mentioning all uploads will be
> automatically treated as CC. This is similar to text that appears
> below Wikipedia edit box.

I agree. We're working on making Commons easier to use, but it
probably won't be ready for your project.

As an alternative to Flickr or Facebook, you might also want to get in
touch with Ryan Kaldari and see if his photo tool can be used for this
purpose. Ryan developed a photo submission tool specifically for photo
scavenger hunts:
http://toolserver.org/~kaldari/contests/

I don't know if it's sufficiently complete yet. His user page:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Kaldari
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Proposal: Wikipedia loves India

Srikanth Lakshmanan

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 11:48 PM, Erik Moeller <[hidden email]> wrote:

I agree. We're working on making Commons easier to use, but it
probably won't be ready for your project.

As an alternative to Flickr or Facebook, you might also want to get in
touch with Ryan Kaldari and see if his photo tool can be used for this
purpose. Ryan developed a photo submission tool specifically for photo
scavenger hunts:
http://toolserver.org/~kaldari/contests/

Nice effort. Hope this will bridge the gap of participants upload phobia. Also nice to see "Several of the guidelines above were stolen from Wikipedia Takes Chennai  " in his site :)
--
Regards
Srikanth.L

Re: Proposal: Wikipedia loves India

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
We are uploading pictures from the "Geograph" project. This is a British project that aims to have pictures from all of the United Kingdom and Ireland. It is great software, they are great people and if you are interested, we could look into localising the software into Indian languages, we could look into a default license and uploading straight into Commons.

PS I do realise that India covers a much bigger territory but it does not need to be concluded next year or the year after ..
PS We could look into combining it with functionality of OpenStreetMap
Thanks,
     GerardM

wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 9:45 PM, Abhi <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> Count me in! But coordinating something like this at the national
>> level wont
>> be easy. Ahh, this is exciting :)
>>

> Hi Abhi,
>
> While emulating Britain Loves Wikipedia and involving museums and
> cultural institutions will be a huge task, using online social media
> will be much easier.
>
> Articles on famous colleges like NMIMS, popular dishes like Dal Baati
> and notable companies like Indian Express Group don't have a
> photograph! There are a number of young Indian internet users on
> Facebook and Twitter. We just want them to catch a snap of their
> college, company, the food they eat... That shouldn't be difficult.
>
> All we need to do is reach out to them. This can be done through
> Facebook, Twitter, Orkut, blogs and other media.
>
> Utkarshraj Atmaram
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Utcursch

Re: Proposal: Wikipedia loves India

Srikanth Ramakrishnan
We've been trying for a while to kick off a Wikipedia Takes Bangalore ...

wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 9:45 PM, Abhi <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> Count me in! But coordinating something like this at the national
>> level wont
>> be easy. Ahh, this is exciting :)
>>

> Hi Abhi,
>
> While emulating Britain Loves Wikipedia and involving museums and
> cultural institutions will be a huge task, using online social media
> will be much easier.
>
> Articles on famous colleges like NMIMS, popular dishes like Dal Baati
> and notable companies like Indian Express Group don't have a
> photograph! There are a number of young Indian internet users on
> Facebook and Twitter. We just want them to catch a snap of their
> college, company, the food they eat... That shouldn't be difficult.
>
> All we need to do is reach out to them. This can be done through
> Facebook, Twitter, Orkut, blogs and other media.
>
> Utkarshraj Atmaram
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Utcursch

Your friend in time,

Srikanth/R/