Proposal for plaque marking that Jordanhill station was subject of one-millionth Wikipedia article

Proposal for plaque marking that Jordanhill station was subject of one-millionth Wikipedia article

Andy Mabbett-2
Folks,

I learned today that
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordanhill_railway_station was the
one-millionth English Wikipedia article so I've boldly written to
Transport Scotland to see if they'd be interested in putting a (blue)
plaque on the station, noting that fact, and featuring a QRpedia code
- after all, the article has 22 other-language versions.

Fingers crossed!

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: Proposal for plaque marking that Jordanhill station was subject of one-millionth Wikipedia article

Mickey Conn
There was such a plan at the time - see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Jordanhill_commemoration.
Despite a lot of discussion (on the talk page), it seems it never went
anywhere.

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 12:06 AM, Andy Mabbett
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I learned today that
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordanhill_railway_station was the
> one-millionth English Wikipedia article so I've boldly written to
> Transport Scotland to see if they'd be interested in putting a (blue)
> plaque on the station, noting that fact, and featuring a QRpedia code
> - after all, the article has 22 other-language versions.
>
> Fingers crossed!
>
> --
> Andy Mabbett
> @pigsonthewing
> http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: Proposal for plaque marking that Jordanhill station was subject of one-millionth Wikipedia article

Gordon Joly
On 17/12/2011 00:06, Andy Mabbett wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I learned today that
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordanhill_railway_station was the
> one-millionth English Wikipedia article so I've boldly written to
> Transport Scotland to see if they'd be interested in putting a (blue)
> plaque on the station, noting that fact, and featuring a QRpedia code
> - after all, the article has 22 other-language versions.
>
> Fingers crossed!

I millionth article.... "approximately"?

Gordo

--

Gordon Joly
[hidden email]

On 19 December 2011 13:26, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 17/12/2011 00:06, Andy Mabbett wrote:

>> I learned today that
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordanhill_railway_station was the
>> one-millionth English Wikipedia article

> I millionth article.... "approximately"?

No. There's a link to a FAQ on the article's talked page, which
explains the metrics used.

On 19 December 2011 03:14, Mickey Conn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> There was such a plan at the time - see
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Jordanhill_commemoration.
> Despite a lot of discussion (on the talk page), it seems it never went
> anywhere.

I'm a believer in the JFDI way of working...

On 19/12/2011 13:35, Andy Mabbett wrote:

> On 19 December 2011 13:26, Gordon Joly<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> On 17/12/2011 00:06, Andy Mabbett wrote:
>
>>> I learned today that
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordanhill_railway_station was the
>>> one-millionth English Wikipedia article
>> I millionth article.... "approximately"?
> No. There's a link to a FAQ on the article's talked page, which
> explains the metrics used.

I read this http://bit.ly/rWtSLz which shows that the article numbered
at 999,999 (One million articles) does not exist....

A counter was set to measure the creation of articles, many of which
were deleted later deleted, and the counter reached 1,000,000 for
"Jordanhill station"

In other words, when "Jordanhill station" was created there were less
that one million live articles live on the English Wikipedia just like
"One million articles" is now (it is red).

Gordo

--

Gordon Joly
[hidden email]
http://www.joly.org.uk/
Don't Leave Space To The Professionals!

Re: Proposal for plaque marking that Jordanhill station was subject of one-millionth Wikipedia article

Richard Symonds-3
Articles are being deleted and created all the time, so even if it's not
/entirely/ accurate, it's as close to the 'one millionth' article status as
we're ever likely to get. At the very least, a plaque could get some
recognition in the local press.

On 19/12/2011 14:48, Richard Symonds wrote:
Articles are being deleted and created all the time, so even if it's not
/entirely/ accurate, it's as close to the 'one millionth' article status as
we're ever likely to get. At the very least, a plaque could get some
recognition in the local press.
Yes, I agree... the token millionth!

:-)

Gordo

--

Gordon Joly
[hidden email]
http://www.joly.org.uk/
Don't Leave Space To The Professionals!

Re: Proposal for plaque marking that Jordanhill station was subject of one-millionth Wikipedia article

WereSpielChequers-2
Can we ask the UK board to consider offering to fund this?

Then make sure we get a photo on Commons

WereSpielChequers

On 19 December 2011 15:20, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 19/12/2011 14:48, Richard Symonds wrote:
Articles are being deleted and created all the time, so even if it's not
/entirely/ accurate, it's as close to the 'one millionth' article status as
we're ever likely to get. At the very least, a plaque could get some
recognition in the local press.
Yes, I agree... the token millionth!

:-)

Gordo

--

Gordon Joly
[hidden email]
http://www.joly.org.uk/
Don't Leave Space To The Professionals!

Re: Proposal for plaque marking that Jordanhill station was subject of one-millionth Wikipedia article

Steve Virgin

http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Microgrants

Sounds like a great idea to me – apply here

Steve

Re: Proposal for plaque marking that Jordanhill station was subject of one-millionth Wikipedia article

Michael Peel-4
I'm sure that we can consider this, but we'd need to know the expected costs - and I suspect funding isn't the main issue here, permission to put the plaque up is?

Thanks,
Mike

On 19 Dec 2011, at 18:06, steve virgin wrote:

> http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Microgrants
>
> Sounds like a great idea to me – apply here
>
> Steve

Fae-6
If one makes a fuss over the article it needs a bit of improvement.
The best part of it is the accident in 1980 when several people were
seriously injured, the rebuilding plans sound odd, surely they would
need to have got underway by now if they finish in 2014 and the
section "In the area" looks like a WP:NOT failure to me. The station
has little to inspire photographs being just platforms, a walkway and
a waiting room but with no facilities.

However a photograph of someone holding a cardboard sign on the
platform saying "1,000,000th Wikipedia article!" might be so sad that
it would be a start of a campaign to recognize it. I'm not sure that
needs a budget.

As this was "approximately" the 1,000,000th article, was there nothing
better nearby in front or behind the creation of this one?

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordanhill_railway_station

Cheers,
Fae
--
http://enwp.org/user_talk:fae
Guide to email tags: http://j.mp/faetags

On 19 December 2011 14:21, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 19/12/2011 13:35, Andy Mabbett wrote:

>>> I millionth article.... "approximately"?
>> No. There's a link to a FAQ on the article's talked page, which
>> explains the metrics used.
>>

> I read this http://bit.ly/rWtSLz which shows that the article numbered
> at 999,999 (One million articles) does not exist....

I mentioned the FAQ in the hope that people would read it... ;-)

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: Proposal for plaque marking that Jordanhill station was subject of one-millionth Wikipedia article

Andy Mabbett-2
On 19 December 2011 18:02, WereSpielChequers
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Can we ask the UK board to consider offering to fund this?

It is my intention first to suggest that the rail com[any/ies
involved, or Scottish Trasnport, might do so.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: Proposal for plaque marking that Jordanhill station was subject of one-millionth Wikipedia article

Rich Farmbrough
Adding a note about a putative plaque might make a nice millionth edit
for someone. :-)

On 19/12/2011 20:09, Andy Mabbett wrote:
> On 19 December 2011 18:02, WereSpielChequers
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Can we ask the UK board to consider offering to fund this?
> It is my intention first to suggest that the rail com[any/ies
> involved, or Scottish Trasnport, might do so.

Re: Proposal for plaque marking that Jordanhill station was subject of one-millionth Wikipedia article

Richard Symonds-2
Andy,

Do let us know when you get a reply from them!

Richard

On 17 December 2011 00:06, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I learned today that
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordanhill_railway_station was the
> one-millionth English Wikipedia article so I've boldly written to
> Transport Scotland to see if they'd be interested in putting a (blue)
> plaque on the station, noting that fact, and featuring a QRpedia code
> - after all, the article has 22 other-language versions.

I have at long last received a reply from Transport Scotland. It's a
splendid example of bureaucracy in action:

    I have discussed with ScotRail your proposal to install a plaque
    at the station to mark the one-millionth article on Wikipedia about
    Jordanhill.  We do not wish to take this forward.

    ScotRail has been delivering a comprehensive station re-branding
    programme which began in 2008 and will be complete in 2014.
    There are Brand Guidelines in place for this programme which aims
    to simplify and unify all station branding and this includes the
    removal of information from third parties.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: Proposal for plaque marking that Jordanhill station was subject of one-millionth Wikipedia article

David Gerard-2
On 19 January 2012 12:16, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]> wrote:

>    ScotRail has been delivering a comprehensive station re-branding
>    programme which began in 2008 and will be complete in 2014.
>    There are Brand Guidelines in place for this programme which aims
>    to simplify and unify all station branding and this includes the
>    removal of information from third parties.

Does any other station in Scotland have plaques, and are ScotRail
eliminating those as well?

- d.

Re: Proposal for plaque marking that Jordanhill station was subject of one-millionth Wikipedia article

Charles Matthews

On 19 January 2012 12:23, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 19 January 2012 12:16, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]> wrote:

>    ScotRail has been delivering a comprehensive station re-branding
>    programme which began in 2008 and will be complete in 2014.
>    There are Brand Guidelines in place for this programme which aims
>    to simplify and unify all station branding and this includes the
>    removal of information from third parties.

Does any other station in Scotland have plaques, and are ScotRail
eliminating those as well?

 [[WP:DEADHORSE]].

Charles

Re: Proposal for plaque marking that Jordanhill station was subject of one-millionth Wikipedia article

David Gerard-2
On 19 January 2012 12:35, Charles Matthews
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 19 January 2012 12:23, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Does any other station in Scotland have plaques, and are ScotRail
>> eliminating those as well?

>  [[WP:DEADHORSE]].

Sorry, I didn't mean in relation to this plaque - I mean regarding
plaques in general as a good thing for a sense of history.

- d.