Proposal for the creation of a Wikinews foundation

Proposal for the creation of a Wikinews foundation

Craig Spurrier
Hello,
I am proposing the creation of a separate organization that would allow
Wikinews to properly handle press accreditation. The Wikimedia
foundation has been unable to do this due to concerns over being seen as
the editor and the legal consequences that go with that. Proper press
accreditation is however very necessary for Wikinews.

A separate organization with a trademark license would be able to
properly handle press accreditation and have very minimal assets at
risk. This organization would not handle anything beyond accreditation
and tools to provide support for accreditation. I am in no way proposing
splitting Wikinews from the foundation or anything like that. We are
overall very happy with the foundation, but we have a need that the
foundation is unable to provide for.

The problem:
The English language Wikinews has an accreditation policy [1]. This
allows us to receive press credentials at events and also assists us in
getting recognition as media for interviews and the like. The press pass
usually allows free access to an event or, priority access to normally
off-limits areas.

At the present we have a rather awkward arrangement for accrediting
users. Users who have gone through our accreditation process are
considered community accredited. The lack of any sort of organization
behind creates a problem when the events require a letter from the
organization before issuing the press pass (the G8 being the most
recent), and we have been unable to get the board/foundation to do this
or officially approve the accreditation program. The problem with this
is in order to obtain press badges and other press benefits a user must
either confuse the person (risking the request being denied) with an
explanation of how they are not really representing Wikinews but rather
the Wikinews Community or they must mislead the person into thinking
they really do represent Wikinews.

There are several other resources the foundation has been unable to
provide that are very helpful to us such as official e-mail addresses.
Brian McNeil has the wikinewsie.org domain and has offered e-mail
addresses with it. The response rate with these addresses has greatly
increased. Once again there are legitimate concerns that prevent the
foundation from being able to do this, but a separate foundation would
be able to.

-Craig Spurrier
[[n:Craig Spurrier]]

1. http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews:Accreditation_policy

Re: Proposal for the creation of a Wikinews foundation

brian.mcneil-2
To add to Craig's comment on the effectiveness of users having
@wikinewsie.org email addresses... The guys in New Zealand have said the new
addresses return a 100% response rate versus a "hope and a prayer" with
@gmail, I got a 40 minute telephone interview with the UK Labour party's
longest serving MP, Tony Benn, and we have all this for 5 years.  There is a
long time for the foundation to work out how it could/should be handling
this before I'd have to put my hand in my pocket again. Perhaps by that time
it will be more generally accepted that Wikinews has unique characteristics?
I don't know how the foundation can serve what the current crop of
wikinewsies want as output, but an acceptance of the unique nature of the
project needs to be more widespread.

Brian.

Re: Proposal for the creation of a Wikinews foundation

Christophe Henner
Hi,

This is my opinion, I don't think it's a good idea. On a short term,
it would be really usefull, but in fact on the long term I do believe
it wouldn't be a so good idea. There would be confusion like "is
wikinews a Wikinews Foundation project or a Wikimedia Foundation
Project." Moreover, you're proposal looks like, to me, like a
"Wikinews Chapter".

In France, but I think it should be the same in other countries, in
order to have a press card, the main aim of the "Wikinews Foundation"
you have to earn 50% in a journalism job. And earn it in France. So
Wikinews Foundation won't help the french wikinewsie. For
accreditation the French Chapter is helping at it, and actually we are
not that bad in having them.

So, what could handle your foundation a chapter couldn't? In my
opinion, worldwide, really few, and perhaps even "less". Wikinews is,
in fact, a really different project, but I don't think that's a reason
to have a "Wikinews Foundation".

By the way, did you asked and discussed for a "[hidden email]"
adress or other global @wikinews.org adresses recently?

On 21/08/07, Brian McNeil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> To add to Craig's comment on the effectiveness of users having
> @wikinewsie.org email addresses... The guys in New Zealand have said the new
> addresses return a 100% response rate versus a "hope and a prayer" with
> @gmail, I got a 40 minute telephone interview with the UK Labour party's
> longest serving MP, Tony Benn, and we have all this for 5 years.  There is a
> long time for the foundation to work out how it could/should be handling
> this before I'd have to put my hand in my pocket again. Perhaps by that time
> it will be more generally accepted that Wikinews has unique characteristics?
> I don't know how the foundation can serve what the current crop of
> wikinewsies want as output, but an acceptance of the unique nature of the
> project needs to be more widespread.
>

> Brian.

schiste

Christophe Henner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is my opinion, I don't think it's a good idea. On a short term,
> it would be really usefull, but in fact on the long term I do believe
> it wouldn't be a so good idea. There would be confusion like "is
> wikinews a Wikinews Foundation project or a Wikimedia Foundation
> Project." Moreover, you're proposal looks like, to me, like a
> "Wikinews Chapter".

The proposal is essentially Wikinews Chapter, what we actually call it
is only a small concern assuming we get usage of the Wikinews trademark.
> In France, but I think it should be the same in other countries, in
> order to have a press card, the main aim of the "Wikinews Foundation"
> you have to earn 50% in a journalism job. And earn it in France. So
> Wikinews Foundation won't help the french wikinewsie. For
> accreditation the French Chapter is helping at it, and actually we are
> not that bad in having them.

This is mostly a European issue. In the US, Canada, New Zealand (and
most other countries) anyone who wants to can call themselves a
journalist and create a press card. The problem is in the absence of any
sort of government press cards most event organizers and government
officials (police mostly) base their decisions off of the presence of an
organization that issued the person with a presscard. One important step
of this process is that event organizers and government official will
contact or expect contact from the issuing organization who must be
willing to verifiy that the person is one of their own.
> So, what could handle your foundation a chapter couldn't? In my
> opinion, worldwide, really few, and perhaps even "less". Wikinews is,
> in fact, a really different project, but I don't think that's a reason
> to have a "Wikinews Foundation".

Most of the current accredited reporters are not currently covered by a
chapter. I would imagine this will always be the case. A Wikinews
foundation would however be able to act globally, since the vast
majority of our task would just be to confirm that user is with us.
> By the way, did you asked and discussed for a "[hidden email]"
> adress or other global @wikinews.org adresses recently?

It was discussed on our water cooler and an e-mail was sent to the
foundation(or so I am told) after Brion said that it technically was
doable. BrianMC would probably be the better person to answer this.
-Craig Spurrier
[[n:Craig Spurrier]]

Re: [Wikinews-l] Proposal for the creation of a Wikinews foundation

Craig Spurrier
Florence Devouard wrote:

> Let me thank you for the words of appreciation of the Foundation :-)
>

> I fully understand your need of an organization to help "make contacts",
> maybe because I saw several french wikipedians negociate pretty well to
> get press access to political meetings during our elections in France.
> It was done through the french chapter, and I am pretty sure it largely
> helped them to refer to the association and to be able to show a nice
> business card referring to the association, with an appropriate email
> address.

Being able to officially use the logo on business cards and being able
to claim some level of officialness would greatly help us. The
@wikinewsie.org e-mail address has already greatly improved responses.
Even silly things like wearing a Wikinews polo shirt have improved
response. These are all however effective solely because they convey a
false sense of officialness, except in the places lucky enough to have
chapters where even then they must make a very clear separation between
the press activities and the association.
> Regarding your suggestion, I tend to share the same level of thinking
> than Schiste. Wondering how it would work on an international scale.
> Wondering how chapters could help here. Wondering who would govern that
> Foundation. How would needs of non english wikinews be taken into
> account. Etc...
There is no reason why this foundation could not support non-english
Wikinews.
We actually already have several people with accreditation from
non-english Wikinews editions. This puts the English language Wikinews
in an awkward spot of denying many request for credentials because the
people are to represent the English language Wikinews. At the moment if
you do not speak and write English you can not get accreditation. This
is a problem a foundation could resolve. There is no reason this
foundation like the Wikimedia could not be multilingual.

Governance of a foundation would probably be in the style of an elected
board elected either from/by the members of the Wikinews communities or
by the community selected accredited reporters. For practical reasons it
would probably be set up as a South Carolina based nonprofit(though if
we can get someone else to establish it in a better location all the
better :) ). South Carolina has a low fee for nonprofits, the legal
benefits of being in the United States and is very convenient for me
being where I currently live :) . The foundation location is only of
concern for setup and basic legal requirements. All of the day to day
actions of this foundation would be handled online or for stuff like
verifying accreditation via mail and phone.

-Craig Spurrier
[[n:Craig Spurrier]]

Re: [Wikinews-l] Proposal for the creation of a Wikinews foundation

Thomas Dalton
> South Carolina has a low fee for nonprofits, the legal
> benefits of being in the United States and is very convenient for me
> being where I currently live :) .

What are the legal benefits of being in the US? And compared to where?

Re: [Wikinews-l] Proposal for the creation of a Wikinews foundation

Anthony-73
> > South Carolina has a low fee for nonprofits, the legal
> > benefits of being in the United States and is very convenient for me
> > being where I currently live :) .
>
> What are the legal benefits of being in the US? And compared to where?

Freedom of the press?  Pretty much anywhere else?

Re: [Wikinews-l] Proposal for the creation of a Wikinews foundation

Milos Rancic-2
I think that the point is that it is much different to be an US
journalist then a journalist from any other country. In the sense of
more respect by authorities.

However, I would like to have, for example, German and Russian
accreditations, too :) Such triple combination gives a lot of space,
at least in Serbia ;)

BTW, I like this idea. Imagine the situation where you are able to
choose a country and say that you are "a journalist form XY country",
depending of situation. And WM chapters + WMF + WNF are able to do so
unlike the most other news agencies. Even it looks like a joke, it may
be useful.

> > South Carolina has a low fee for nonprofits, the legal
> > benefits of being in the United States and is very convenient for me
> > being where I currently live :) .
>
> What are the legal benefits of being in the US? And compared to where?

Re: [Wikinews-l] Proposal for the creation of a Wikinews foundation

Craig Spurrier
Freedom of press is of course the biggest one. The US also has a
copyright system, which far from ideal is decent and well tested. The US
also has relatively easy rules for establishing a non profit (beyond
establishment it can get complicated but is very well documented and
there is no shortage of experts). The US also has very reporter friendly
fair use and libel laws. The other big benifit to establishing it in the
US is we have a vast pool of resources that we can draw on from the WM
foundation who are already familiar with US law.
-Craig Spurrier
[[n:Craig Spurrier]]

Anthony wrote:

> On 8/21/07, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>> South Carolina has a low fee for nonprofits, the legal
>>> benefits of being in the United States and is very convenient for me
>>> being where I currently live :) .
>>>
>> What are the legal benefits of being in the US? And compared to where?
>>

> Freedom of the press?  Pretty much anywhere else?

Re: [Wikinews-l] Proposal for the creation of a Wikinews foundation

Thomas Dalton
> > What are the legal benefits of being in the US? And compared to where?
> >
> Freedom of the press?  Pretty much anywhere else?

The US is unique in have a free press? That sounds unlikely...

Re: [Wikinews-l] Proposal for the creation of a Wikinews foundation

Anthony-73
> > > What are the legal benefits of being in the US? And compared to where?
> > >
> > Freedom of the press?  Pretty much anywhere else?
>
> The US is unique in have a free press? That sounds unlikely...

"Sounds unlikely"?  That's a strange way to put it.

On 22/08/07, Anthony <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > Freedom of the press?  Pretty much anywhere else?
> >
> > The US is unique in have a free press? That sounds unlikely...
> >
> "Sounds unlikely"?  That's a strange way to put it.

Strange? It's called an "understatement". I suppose it may be a rather
English way to put it.

Anyway, I did a little research. Accord to the most recent (2006)
Press Freedom index by the Reporters Without Borders
(http://www.rsf.org/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=639), the US is 53rd.
It's one of the worst developed nations for press freedom.

On 22/08/07, Craig Spurrier <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Freedom of press is of course the biggest one. The US also has a
> copyright system, which far from ideal is decent and well tested.

Is the Wikinews Foundation going to publish anything ?

> The US also has relatively easy rules for establishing a non profit (beyond
> establishment it can get complicated but is very well documented and
> there is no shortage of experts).

Do you know what are the procedures to establish a non profit
organisation in the other countries? Just to have a quick look on what
are the advantages of being in US.

> The US also has very reporter friendly fair use and libel laws.

Didn't you planned the Wikinews Foundation to be an international foundation?

>The other big benifit to establishing it in the
> US is we have a vast pool of resources that we can draw on from the WM
> foundation who are already familiar with US law.

I totally agree on this point.

On 8/21/07, Craig Spurrier <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Freedom of press is of course the biggest one. The US also has a
> copyright system, which far from ideal is decent and well tested. The US
> also has relatively easy rules for establishing a non profit (beyond
> establishment it can get complicated but is very well documented and
> there is no shortage of experts)  The US also has very reporter friendly
> fair use and libel laws.

Canada was ranked highly by Reporters Without Borders for freedom of
the press, and I've heard good things about their nonprofit laws.

> The other big benifit to establishing it in the
> US is we have a vast pool of resources that we can draw on from the WM
> foundation who are already familiar with US law.

Maybe.  But one benefit from establishing it outside the US is that it
has greater potential to expand the pool of resources.

My comments about freedom of press in the US were questions, hence the
question marks.  One link I found to kind of answer the question was
Reporters Without Borders freedom of the press index.
http://www.rsf.org/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=639  Canada stuck out
from that list in my mind because I had heard they had liberal
non-profit organization laws.

Re: [Wikinews-l] Proposal for the creation of a Wikinews foundation

Anthony-73

> > > The US is unique in have a free press? That sounds unlikely...
> > >
> > "Sounds unlikely"?  That's a strange way to put it.
>
> Strange? It's called an "understatement".

OK, substitute "strange" with "useless".

> Anyway, I did a little research. Accord to the most recent (2006)
> Press Freedom index by the Reporters Without Borders
> (http://www.rsf.org/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=639), the US is 53rd.
> It's one of the worst developed nations for press freedom.

That, on the other hand, is "useful".

Re: [Wikinews-l] Proposal for the creation of a Wikinews foundation

Thomas Dalton
> My comments about freedom of press in the US were questions, hence the
> question marks.

They came over to me as rhetorical questions with a "this should be
obvious" tone. I'm glad to hear that's not how you intended it.

Re: [Wikinews-l] Proposal for the creation of a Wikinews foundation

Thomas Dalton
> > Strange? It's called an "understatement".
>
> OK, substitute "strange" with "useless".

Not useless, just English. By "That sounds unlikely..." I meant "I
don't think that's true.".

Re: [Wikinews-l] Proposal for the creation of a Wikinews foundation

Gwern Branwen
On  0, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> scribbled:

> > > The US is unique in have a free press? That sounds unlikely...
> > >
> > "Sounds unlikely"?  That's a strange way to put it.
>
> Strange? It's called an "understatement". I suppose it may be a rather
> English way to put it.
>
> Anyway, I did a little research. Accord to the most recent (2006)
> Press Freedom index by the Reporters Without Borders
> (http://www.rsf.org/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=639), the US is 53rd.
> It's one of the worst developed nations for press freedom.
Worst might be exaggerating. Freedom House's _Freedom of the Press 2007_ puts the US in the 22nd rank, which may not be great compared to European countries like Finland or Iceland, but is still ahead of others like Japan, Australia, the UK, France, Austria..

--
gwern
PRIME Security Passwords KY-75 Time JICA Threat FCA CMS resta

Christophe Henner wrote:
> On 22/08/07, Craig Spurrier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Freedom of press is of course the biggest one. The US also has a
>> copyright system, which far from ideal is decent and well tested.
>>

> Is the Wikinews Foundation going to publish anything ?

Probably not, however a court could well say otherwise, so us being
probably ok on copyright is always a plus.

>> The US also has relatively easy rules for establishing a non profit (beyond
>> establishment it can get complicated but is very well documented and
>> there is no shortage of experts).
>>

> Do you know what are the procedures to establish a non profit
> organisation in the other countries? Just to have a quick look on what
> are the advantages of being in US.

I have looked a little at a few other countries procedures to start a
nonprofit. The UK looks rather tricky as does New Zealand. Canada would
be ok, but we lack a Wikinewsie in Canada to found it.

>> The US also has very reporter friendly fair use and libel laws.
>>

> Didn't you planned the Wikinews Foundation to be an international foundation?

The Wikinews Foundation will be an international foundation. There are
still always the possibility of a court finding us to be the publisher,
so we want as friendly laws as possible if this occurs.

I think we are getting rather caught up in what is a rather small part
of the proposal. For 99% of the foundations actions where it is
registered is irrelevant. For the other one percent the US and SC is as
good or bad as any place and it has the benifit of someone willing to do
the paper work :).

-Craig Spurrier
[[n:Craig Spurrier]]