Proposal to disable the discourse-mediawiki.wmflabs.org test instance ("Wikimedia Developer Support")

Proposal to disable the discourse-mediawiki.wmflabs.org test instance ("Wikimedia Developer Support")

Andre Klapper-2
<tl;dr>: Make discourse-mediawiki.wmflabs.org read-only by end of
August. See and comment on https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T247010

Hi everyone,

In January 2018, an experimental instance of the Q&A platform
"Discourse" was set up for developer support at
https://discourse-mediawiki.wmflabs.org .
See https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T180854 .

Since its launch, the usage of this instance has declined:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T247010#6270883
On average, there are two users who are engaged daily.

Other support venues which exist in parallel are much more active, such
as IRC, mailing lists, [[mw:Project:Support_desk]], [[meta:Tech]],
local technical village pumps, newsletters, Zulip for outreach
programs, or other third-party sites such as mwusers.org,
StackExchange.com, or Reddit.

Discontinuing the least frequented venue (which unfortunately is
Discourse though it seems to be a great communication platform) would
keep us from further fragmenting our conversations and efforts.

Planning, implementing, establishing and running a centralized
Wikimedia developer support venue on production infrastructure
(puppetization, data backups, uptime, etc) would require significant
technical and "social" capacity. If Discourse was to be further
evaluated, https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T155678 and its subtasks
list part of the remaining needed work.

I propose to make discourse-mediawiki.wmflabs.org read-only by the end
of August 2020.

Please comment on https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T247010 if you have
thoughts to share instead of replying to this message.
Because keeping conversations in one place. ;)

Thanks a lot!
andre

--
Andre Klapper (he/him) | Bugwrangler / Developer Advocate
https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: Proposal to disable the discourse-mediawiki.wmflabs.org test instance ("Wikimedia Developer Support")

Rahul Pawar
Hey I m new to the project.
Is there something for me to do?
I know python,CPP html CSS

On Mon, 27 Jul 2020, 11:29 am Andre Klapper, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> <tl;dr>: Make discourse-mediawiki.wmflabs.org read-only by end of
> August. See and comment on https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T247010
>

> Hi everyone,
>
> In January 2018, an experimental instance of the Q&A platform
> "Discourse" was set up for developer support at
> https://discourse-mediawiki.wmflabs.org .
> See https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T180854 .
>
> Since its launch, the usage of this instance has declined:
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T247010#6270883
> On average, there are two users who are engaged daily.
>
> Other support venues which exist in parallel are much more active, such
> as IRC, mailing lists, [[mw:Project:Support_desk]], [[meta:Tech]],
> local technical village pumps, newsletters, Zulip for outreach
> programs, or other third-party sites such as mwusers.org,
> StackExchange.com, or Reddit.
>
> Discontinuing the least frequented venue (which unfortunately is
> Discourse though it seems to be a great communication platform) would
> keep us from further fragmenting our conversations and efforts.
>
> Planning, implementing, establishing and running a centralized
> Wikimedia developer support venue on production infrastructure
> (puppetization, data backups, uptime, etc) would require significant
> technical and "social" capacity. If Discourse was to be further
> evaluated, https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T155678 and its subtasks
> list part of the remaining needed work.
>
> I propose to make discourse-mediawiki.wmflabs.org read-only by the end
> of August 2020.
>
> Please comment on https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T247010 if you have
> thoughts to share instead of replying to this message.
> Because keeping conversations in one place. ;)
>
> Thanks a lot!
> andre
>
> --
> Andre Klapper (he/him) | Bugwrangler / Developer Advocate
> https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: New to project [was: Proposal to disable the discourse-mediawiki.wmflabs.org test instance ("Wikimedia Developer Support")]

Andre Klapper-2
Welcome Rahul.

On Mon, 2020-07-27 at 12:24 +0530, Rahul Pawar wrote:
> Hey I m new to the project.
> Is there something for me to do?
> I know python,CPP html CSS

Please see https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/New_Developers

Cheers,
andre

PS: For future reference, please start a new thread for new questions,
instead of replying to unrelated threads. See the subject line. Thanks.