Proposed Program Architecture Summit 2014

Proposed Program Architecture Summit 2014

Diederik van Liere-2
Heya,

The Program Committee for the Architecture Summit has published a proposed
program: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Architecture_Summit_2014

Highlights of the Program:

1) We have tried to incorporate flexibility into the program by allowing 4
unconference break-out slots, 1 open plenary session and a daily ‘agenda
bashing’ session to make adjustments to the program if the need arises.

2) There are 3 plenary sessions: HTML Templating (
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Architecture_Summit_2014/HTML_templating),
Service Oriented Architecture (
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Architecture_Summit_2014/Service-oriented_architecture)
and one open slot. Possible candidates for the open session include
Performance and UI styling but this will be decided during the Summit.  The
short list will include the higher vote-getters in the straw poll, so if
there’s one of the clusters you strongly feel should be part of the
program, now is your time to make that case.

3) There are 6 breakout sessions:

* 2 planned: UI styling (
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Architecture_Summit_2014/UI_styling) and
Storage Services (
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Architecture_Summit_2014/Storage_services)

* 4 unconference slots

There will be a round of Lightning Talks at the beginning of the plenary
session after the breakout session to summarize what happened by answering
the following questions:

a) What did you try to achieve?

b) What did you decide?

c) What are the next steps?

4) Architecture Panel and Value discussion. This is a plenary session for
the architects to share what they value in good architecture, as well as
talk about how they see the architecture of MediaWiki evolving, and what
role people other than our historical core group of three have to play in
the process.  During this session, we hope to at least answer some of the
questions outlined in the recent discussion of the RFC process[1]

5) RFC roulette: a one hour closing session for RFC’s that have not been in
the spotlight during the Summit and where the next step can be decided.
This is intended to be fast paced and slightly chaotic. If you would like
to hear what’s next for your RFC please participate with the roulette by
adding your name to
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Architecture_Summit_2014/RFC_roulette

What does the Program Committee expect from summit participants?

a) If you are a participant, please familiarize yourself with the latest
version of the RFC’s that you care about.

b) If you are an author of an RFC that is scheduled in a plenary session,
please start preparing in collaboration with the other authors from the
same session on a short slidedeck that summarizes all the different RFC’s.
One slide that could be really useful is to have a matrix that highlights
key differences between alternative / competing proposals. Diederik will
contact the folks who are invited for the plenary session to help
coordinate and organize.

c) If you are an author of an RFC that is scheduled in a breakout session,
please create maximum 3 slides that summarize your RFC and think about what
you want to get out of your session.  The slides are optional, but the
requisite level of preparation is not.

d) If you want to run an unconference slot then start thinking about a
theme and possible co-organizers. It’s okay to use an existing RFC cluster.

Two quick final notes:

The Program has been created using the input from the straw poll (
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Architecture_Summit_2014/Straw_poll), input
from the Program Committee and input from the Engineering Community Team.

To see which RFC’s compose a cluster please have a look at
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Architecture_Summit_2014/RFC_clusters

Looking forward to your feedback!

Best regards,

The Program Committee

[1]  Discussion of the RFC process:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Requests_for_comment/Process#

Re: Proposed Program Architecture Summit 2014

Legoktm
Hi,
Given that the Configuration cluster had the second most number of
votes in the poll, why was it left of the agenda entirely?
-- Legoktm

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 10:47 AM, Diederik van Liere
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Heya,
>
> The Program Committee for the Architecture Summit has published a proposed
> program: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Architecture_Summit_2014
>
> Highlights of the Program:
>
> 1) We have tried to incorporate flexibility into the program by allowing 4
> unconference break-out slots, 1 open plenary session and a daily ‘agenda
> bashing’ session to make adjustments to the program if the need arises.
>
> 2) There are 3 plenary sessions: HTML Templating (
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Architecture_Summit_2014/HTML_templating),
> Service Oriented Architecture (
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Architecture_Summit_2014/Service-oriented_architecture)
> and one open slot. Possible candidates for the open session include
> Performance and UI styling but this will be decided during the Summit.  The
> short list will include the higher vote-getters in the straw poll, so if
> there’s one of the clusters you strongly feel should be part of the
> program, now is your time to make that case.

Make that case where? Given that slidedecks are supposed to be
prepared, shouldn't this be decided beforehand rather than waiting?

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 10:11 PM, legoktm <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi,
> Given that the Configuration cluster had the second most number of
> votes in the poll, why was it left of the agenda entirely?

We have been going back and forth between plenary session and breakout
session for Configuration, it's definitely on the table and I am 99.9% sure
that we will have a session dedicated to it. It's just not officially
slotted anywhere right now but I will check with Robla and see how we will
schedule this important cluster.
It not being in the program right now should not be seen as a sign that's
not important, on the contrary, we are just trying to find the most
appropriate slot for it.

> [...]
> >
> > d) If you want to run an unconference slot then start thinking about a
> > theme and possible co-organizers. It’s okay to use an existing RFC
> cluster.
> >
> > Two quick final notes:
> >
> > The Program has been created using the input from the straw poll (
> > https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Architecture_Summit_2014/Straw_poll),
> input
> > from the Program Committee and input from the Engineering Community Team.
> >
> > To see which RFC’s compose a cluster please have a look at
> > https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Architecture_Summit_2014/RFC_clusters
> >
> > Looking forward to your feedback!
> >

> > Best regards,
> >
> > The Program Committee
> >

> > [1]  Discussion of the RFC process:
> > https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Requests_for_comment/Process#

Re: Proposed Program Architecture Summit 2014

Rob Lanphier-4
On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 1:17 PM, Diederik van Liere
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 10:11 PM, legoktm <[hidden email]>wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Given that the Configuration cluster had the second most number of
>> votes in the poll, why was it left of the agenda entirely?
>>
> We have been going back and forth between plenary session and breakout
> session for Configuration, it's definitely on the table and I am 99.9% sure
> that we will have a session dedicated to it. It's just not officially
> slotted anywhere right now but I will check with Robla and see how we will
> schedule this important cluster.
> It not being in the program right now should not be seen as a sign that's
> not important, on the contrary, we are just trying to find the most
> appropriate slot for it.

Let's put that number at 95%  :-)  I don't want to commit the group to
anything; it's at the top of the short list, but you never know where
people will want to take the conversation.

Legoktm, the thing you could do to push it over the top is to write up
a summary as you see it of the various positions, and post it to this
list.  Ideally, you would also publish it as a subpage of the
Architecture Summit 2014 page, similar to how some of the others are
(e.g. HTML templating[1])  Even if we don't get to it at the summit,
it still will be a very useful backgrounder to have.  Is that
something you'd be willing to chip in with?

Rob

[1]  Example of the type of page we should have for all of the topics
we're going to talk about:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Architecture_Summit_2014/HTML_templating