Proposed guidelines in our IRC channels

Tangotango-2
This topic might be a little old, but as a regular in #wikipedia-bootcamp, I
can definitely say that this channel is dedicated to helping users out. We
do occasionally get users from other Wikimedia projects, and although our
level of expertise in languages other than English may be lacking depending
on the time and users active, we are always friendly and attempt to help
anyone who comes in. The channel is also largely free of off-topic
conversation.

If we can get a combination of (1) more experienced and friendly Wikimedians
with expertise in languages other than English and (2) more users from
different projects who need help, then I think we would do great as a
multilingual support channel.

Tangotango

Re: Proposed guidelines in our IRC channels

Effe iets anders
Would it be an option to move the channel to #wikimedia-info or a
similar not-so-english-centric-name without losing the people who help
others out? (I though it was possible to make a redirect?) Are you
guys very attached to the channel-name? It's just that -info is easier
to remember and find for non-native english people.

Effeietsanders

2006/10/22, Tangotango <[hidden email]>:

> This topic might be a little old, but as a regular in #wikipedia-bootcamp, I
> can definitely say that this channel is dedicated to helping users out. We
> do occasionally get users from other Wikimedia projects, and although our
> level of expertise in languages other than English may be lacking depending
> on the time and users active, we are always friendly and attempt to help
> anyone who comes in. The channel is also largely free of off-topic
> conversation.
>
> If we can get a combination of (1) more experienced and friendly Wikimedians
> with expertise in languages other than English and (2) more users from
> different projects who need help, then I think we would do great as a
> multilingual support channel.
>
> Tangotango

Hi, I'm in the process of asking the other bootcampers their opinions
regarding this matter. One thing to note that at #wikipedia-bootcamp we have
two bots that report information specific to the English Wikipedia (people
requesting help via the {{helpme}} template, and new topics to the Help
desk, New contributors' help page and Requests for feedback), which may not
be desirable for users of other projects. Therefore, it /might/ be better to
create a new channel, but as I said, I'm still asking around. I'll keep you
posted.

Cheers,

Tangotango