Protecting part of a page (eg, to annotate a historical document)

Protecting part of a page (eg, to annotate a historical document)

kellyterryjones
How do I protect part of a page with MediaWiki?

I want to let users annotate a historical document line by line
without changing the historical document itself. Example:

Four score and seven years ago <- this would be protected (no edit, no delete)
a score is 20 years <- would be editable/deletable
our fathers brought forth upon this continent <- protected
[this section could be blank if no one had any annotations on that line]
a new nation, conceived in liberty <- protected

Protected lines/section could only be unprotected, deleted, or changed
by WikiSysop or equivalent. Ideally, protected sections would be in a
different font/color/style to differentiate the original document from
the annotations.

Can I do something like this directly? Using a plug-in? Indirectly?

Re: Protecting part of a page (eg, to annotate a historical document)

Rob Church
On 05/01/07, Kelly Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Can I do something like this directly? Using a plug-in? Indirectly?

There is a "ProtectSection" extension in Subversion. Whether it still
works, or whether it has flaws etc., I don't know.

Rob Church

Re: Protecting part of a page (eg, to annotate a historical document)

Bugzilla from sy1234@gmail.com
On 1/4/07, Kelly Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
> How do I protect part of a page with MediaWiki?

<snip>

> Can I do something like this directly? Using a plug-in? Indirectly?

Just a quick thought.. you could put your protected content in
templates which are themselves protected.

Then you'd have to monitor the page to make sure nobody removed/moves
the template reference.  =/

Re: [Mediawiki-l] Protecting part of a page (eg, to annotate a historical document)

Jim Hu
On Jan 4, 2007, at 9:22 PM, Rob Church wrote:

> On 05/01/07, Kelly Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Can I do something like this directly? Using a plug-in? Indirectly?
>
> There is a "ProtectSection" extension in Subversion. Whether it still
> works, or whether it has flaws etc., I don't know.

I've been meaning to check this out since reading this thread a
couple of weeks ago.  I just tried it with 1.8.3.  It works, but the
UI is not optimal.  The edit links still show up on the protected
sections, and the edit box still comes up even if the section is
protected.  You get a Forbidden message when you try to save.  Seems
to me it would be better if the warning came up before the user tries
to edit and best if the section edit link went away on protected
sections.  But it works.  Any suggestions for how it might be
modified to do the better or best things?

Jim
Jim Hu
Associate Professor
Dept. of Biochemistry and Biophysics