Pulling specific content from Wikipedia

Roger Zender

Hi there!

I am working on my Masters Project for Kent State University, and my project
is to develop a wiki for their public radio station ­ specifically dealing
with folk music.

I¹m struggling to find a way to pre-populate it with the vast information
already available on Wikipedia (or if it¹s even possible).

I see Wikipedia has an API, which would allow me access to their
information... but I don¹t know if this would fit our needs.

I also see they have a dump of the entire system, but I don¹t know if you
can pull out just the information you want.

Finally ­ if neither of these are good possibilities, are there any good
suggestions how to go about building a wiki from the ground up ­ to
eventually be the home for folk music on the web?  :)

Thanks,
Roger Zender
Cleveland, OH

~~ http://www.rogerzmusic.com ~~
            Support Live Music!

Re: Pulling specific content from Wikipedia

Rich Morin
There is also the possibility of accessing MediaWiki's
underlying database (which is based on MySQL).  I've
started some wiki pages on the database:

  http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:RichMorin/MySQL_Tables

I hope to add in detailed annotations, cross-links for foreign
key usage, etc.  Meanwhile, the pages simply aggregate readily
available information.

-r
--
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm            Rich Morin
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume     [hidden email]

Re: Pulling specific content from Wikipedia

=James Birkholz=
This comes up all the time and I think the usual answer is (if you have the
skills) to write/modify code to use a bot, usually using Python scripts.
There are scripts available to modify. I don't have the skills, so I've
copied and pasted until I lost interest.

James

http://www.Posen-L.com & http://www.birchy.com/GenWiki