Python 2 is going EOL on January 1st - Do you need Python 2 packages in Analytics?

Python 2 is going EOL on January 1st - Do you need Python 2 packages in Analytics?

Luca Toscano
Hi everybody,

as https://www.python.org/doc/sunset-python-2/ says Python 2 is finally
going EOL on January 1st. We (as Analytics team) have a lot of packages
deployed on stat/notebook/hadoop hosts via puppet that should be removed,
but before doing so we'd need to know if anybody of you is currently using
a Python-2-only environment to work/research/test/etc... If so, please
comment in the following task so we'll discuss your use case and possibly
find a Python-3 solution: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T204737
In the task we are going to add info about common packages that we know
(keras, tensorflow, pytorch, etc..) to help you migrate to Python 3 as
quickly and painlessly as possible, so if you are interested please
subscribe to the task.

Thanks in advance!

Luca (on behalf of the Analytics team)

Re: Python 2 is going EOL on January 1st - Do you need Python 2 packages in Analytics?

Diego Saez-Trumper
Oh! We are getting old!
Thanks for the heads up Luca.

I would say that 90% of the migration process is to change:
print 'x'  to print('x')

;)
Best!

On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 11:35 AM Luca Toscano <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> as https://www.python.org/doc/sunset-python-2/ says Python 2 is finally
> going EOL on January 1st. We (as Analytics team) have a lot of packages
> deployed on stat/notebook/hadoop hosts via puppet that should be removed,
> but before doing so we'd need to know if anybody of you is currently using
> a Python-2-only environment to work/research/test/etc... If so, please
> comment in the following task so we'll discuss your use case and possibly
> find a Python-3 solution: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T204737
> In the task we are going to add info about common packages that we know
> (keras, tensorflow, pytorch, etc..) to help you migrate to Python 3 as
> quickly and painlessly as possible, so if you are interested please
> subscribe to the task.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Luca (on behalf of the Analytics team)

Re: [Analytics] Python 2 is going EOL on January 1st - Do you need Python 2 packages in Analytics?

Aaron Halfaker-3
Down with Python 2!  I thought it was already dead!

On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 10:15 AM Miriam Redi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Luca!
>
> And yes Diego, that, plus casting iterables to lists :)
> Just in case it's useful:
> http://ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/imprint_downloads/informit/promotions/python/python2python3.pdf
>
> Best,

> On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 3:55 PM Diego Saez-Trumper <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Oh! We are getting old!
>> Thanks for the heads up Luca.
>>
>> I would say that 90% of the migration process is to change:
>> print 'x'  to print('x')
>>
>> ;)
>> Best!
>>

>> On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 11:35 AM Luca Toscano <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi everybody,
>> >
>> > as https://www.python.org/doc/sunset-python-2/ says Python 2 is finally
>> > going EOL on January 1st. We (as Analytics team) have a lot of packages
>> > deployed on stat/notebook/hadoop hosts via puppet that should be
>> removed,
>> > but before doing so we'd need to know if anybody of you is currently
>> using
>> > a Python-2-only environment to work/research/test/etc... If so, please
>> > comment in the following task so we'll discuss your use case and
>> possibly
>> > find a Python-3 solution: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T204737
>> > In the task we are going to add info about common packages that we know
>> > (keras, tensorflow, pytorch, etc..) to help you migrate to Python 3 as
>> > quickly and painlessly as possible, so if you are interested please
>> > subscribe to the task.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance!
>> >
>> > Luca (on behalf of the Analytics team)

Aaron Halfaker