Question: Coordinating and logging discussions and events with WMUK partners

Question: Coordinating and logging discussions and events with WMUK partners

Fae-6
/* This is something of a back-burner topic but an important area for
our growing GLAM network and WMUK office */

Hi,

I have been intermittently reporting our "pipeline" of GLAM events to
the WMUK board by using a Google Document. This just lists our main
partners (British Museum, Derby Museum etc.) and says what has been
happening recently and what we are discussing as a forthcoming event.
Now we have a WMUK office, a CEO about to join and we will have a
coordinator in Scotland in a couple of months, it might be useful to
take this up a notch to ensure coordination is a bit more reliable and
we don't loose too many new opportunities by accident.

There are some options based on our experience so far and I would
welcome suggestions for how to do this better.

* Google Docs * This is my favourite option, it's free, good for
collaboration and tracking and we could run, say, a spreadsheet
summary with one tab per cultural partner to log the progress of
actions, phone calls and meetings. Though documents can be fully
public, they don't all have to be so there are fewer issues with
including contact details for our partners. It might be worth running
a central "office" account that then manages who the key documents are
shared with. With some support from WMUK office staff, GDocs could be
run as a reasonable customer relationship management solution.

* Wiki * We have some experience of trying this with the outreach wiki
but it is hard to maintain (boring having to cut & paste templates and
fiddle about) and security becomes more of an issue if we would like
to keep contact details on it.

* Off the shelf * Anything decent would not be free, but it might be
worth paying for a few tens of licenses for a (cloud based) customer
relationship management tool that can have a official shared contact
book, a calendar (maybe sync with GCal) and track events, report
action status, risks, log key emails and phonecalls with partners and
WMUK suppliers.

I think that we have automatically resisted "forcing" a tracking tool
on our GLAM e-volunteers but I keep hearing of things going on that I
(and sometimes the board) were either not aware of or might have
forgotten about the "chat in a pub" that a volunteer interpreted as
the nod to do something. The GLAM programme is now too large for one
person to know about everything so a centralized system is becoming
quite urgently needed.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Fae
--
http://enwp.org/user_talk:fae
Guide to email tags: http://j.mp/faetags

Re: Question: Coordinating and logging discussions and events with WMUK partners

Martin Poulter-2
Agree that we must share information in some central point so that we're all building on each other's work, not approaching the same contacts with the same offers. This doesn't just apply to GLAM but to all areas where we're working with external partners.
In Bristol, we've been using Google spreadsheet: not really scalable but could be if more design effort went into it. For this purpose, I much prefer Gdocs to using a wiki, though realise that some people have difficulties or objections with needing a Google account.
I'm optimistic that a lot of client relationship management can be organised without crm software, just well-designed spreadsheets.

On Sunday, September 18, 2011, Fae <[hidden email]> wrote:
> /* This is something of a back-burner topic but an important area for
> our growing GLAM network and WMUK office */
>
> Hi,
>
> I have been intermittently reporting our "pipeline" of GLAM events to
> the WMUK board by using a Google Document. This just lists our main
> partners (British Museum, Derby Museum etc.) and says what has been
> happening recently and what we are discussing as a forthcoming event.
> Now we have a WMUK office, a CEO about to join and we will have a
> coordinator in Scotland in a couple of months, it might be useful to
> take this up a notch to ensure coordination is a bit more reliable and
> we don't loose too many new opportunities by accident.
>
> There are some options based on our experience so far and I would
> welcome suggestions for how to do this better.
>
> * Google Docs * This is my favourite option, it's free, good for
> collaboration and tracking and we could run, say, a spreadsheet
> summary with one tab per cultural partner to log the progress of
> actions, phone calls and meetings. Though documents can be fully
> public, they don't all have to be so there are fewer issues with
> including contact details for our partners. It might be worth running
> a central "office" account that then manages who the key documents are
> shared with. With some support from WMUK office staff, GDocs could be
> run as a reasonable customer relationship management solution.
>
> * Wiki * We have some experience of trying this with the outreach wiki
> but it is hard to maintain (boring having to cut & paste templates and
> fiddle about) and security becomes more of an issue if we would like
> to keep contact details on it.
>
> * Off the shelf * Anything decent would not be free, but it might be
> worth paying for a few tens of licenses for a (cloud based) customer
> relationship management tool that can have a official shared contact
> book, a calendar (maybe sync with GCal) and track events, report
> action status, risks, log key emails and phonecalls with partners and
> WMUK suppliers.
>
> I think that we have automatically resisted "forcing" a tracking tool
> on our GLAM e-volunteers but I keep hearing of things going on that I
> (and sometimes the board) were either not aware of or might have
> forgotten about the "chat in a pub" that a volunteer interpreted as
> the nod to do something. The GLAM programme is now too large for one
> person to know about everything so a centralized system is becoming
> quite urgently needed.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Cheers,
> Fae
> --
> http://enwp.org/user_talk:fae
> Guide to email tags: http://j.mp/faetags

--
Dr Martin L Poulter           ICT Manager, The Economics Network
Based at the ILRT, University of Bristol: http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/

The full experience: http://infobomb.org/
Wikipedia contributor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:MartinPoulter
Board member of Wikimedia UK: http://uk.wikimedia.org/
"Creating a world in which every single human being can freely share
in the sum of all knowledge"

Re: Question: Coordinating and logging discussions and events with WMUK partners

Chris Keating-2
A consistent event registration system would be helpful as well. At the moment we use a mixture of eventbrite, Wiki pages, and nothing at all

Wiki pages are only useful for Wikimedians - even if a non-Wikimedian is prepared tocreate an account to sign up for an event it provides no easy method to follow them up (no "hello, did you fancy doing a bit more on that Wikipedia page you created in the workshop..."")

There is an event management module in CiviCRM though I'd be lying if I said I'd ever got to grips with that :-)

Chris

Re: Question: Coordinating and logging discussions and events with WMUK partners

Thomas Dalton
On 18 September 2011 13:51, Chris Keating <[hidden email]> wrote:
> There is an event management module in CiviCRM though I'd be lying if I said
> I'd ever got to grips with that :-)

Indeed. CiviCRM is intended to handle all of your contacts, not just
donors. We started to move member management over to CiviCRM shortly
before I left the board. I'm not sure if that is still going on.
Moving event management over to it would also be good. It would allow
the analysis of the combined data for all sorts of uses. The most
obvious is major donors - if someone donates £1000 during the
fundraiser and then signs up for an event, we wouldn't currently know
about it. If we use CiviCRM for both donors and event attendees, we
would. Then we could make sure someone gets talking to that person
during the coffee break and, hopefully, gets another large donation
out of them.

By the way, has any progress been made getting donations to
automatically be logged in CiviCRM? We have having a lot of problems
with that before.