Question: Dates for GLAMWIKI 2012 ?

Fae-6
Hi,

As we have to book a venue far in advance are there views on what
Autumn 2012 dates (August through to November) would be best for our
second GLAMWIKI conference (hopefully the main global conference for
2012)?

We have an very kind offer, from one of our top partners, the British
Library to host for free during the Autumn period, though this would
have to span Friday through to Monday (presumably we would go for a
Friday and Saturday again). We have yet to get feedback from other
Chapters if another country were very keen to play host but I think
the UK is in a good position with our pretty active GLAM programme and
we are pushing for more inter-chapter initiatives. Once we have some
nominal dates I can then try to stake our claim for another GLAMWIKI
with the wider community.

Thanks,
Fae
--
http://enwp.org/user_talk:fae
Guide to email tags: http://j.mp/faetags

Re: Question: Dates for GLAMWIKI 2012 ?

WereSpielChequers-2
I'd avoid the first half of August 2012, we have some sort of sporting thing in London and visitors might have difficulty with flights and hotels.

You might consider September 29/30 - outside the school holidays and as the fifth weekend in September it neatly avoids clashing with any regular 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th weekend fixtures.

WSC

On 19 September 2011 16:26, Fae <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

geni
On 19 September 2011 16:26, Fae <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As we have to book a venue far in advance are there views on what
> Autumn 2012 dates (August through to November) would be best for our
> second GLAMWIKI conference (hopefully the main global conference for
> 2012)?
>
> We have an very kind offer, from one of our top partners, the British
> Library to host for free during the Autumn period, though this would
> have to span Friday through to Monday (presumably we would go for a
> Friday and Saturday again). We have yet to get feedback from other
> Chapters if another country were very keen to play host but I think
> the UK is in a good position with our pretty active GLAM programme and
> we are pushing for more inter-chapter initiatives. Once we have some
> nominal dates I can then try to stake our claim for another GLAMWIKI
> with the wider community.
>
> Thanks,
> Fae
> --
> http://enwp.org/user_talk:fae
> Guide to email tags: http://j.mp/faetags

British Library's photography policy may be a problem.

--
geni

Re: Question: Dates for GLAMWIKI 2012 ?

Thomas Dalton
On 22 September 2011 20:59, geni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 19 September 2011 16:26, Fae <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> As we have to book a venue far in advance are there views on what
>> Autumn 2012 dates (August through to November) would be best for our
>> second GLAMWIKI conference (hopefully the main global conference for
>> 2012)?
>>
>> We have an very kind offer, from one of our top partners, the British
>> Library to host for free during the Autumn period, though this would
>> have to span Friday through to Monday (presumably we would go for a
>> Friday and Saturday again). We have yet to get feedback from other
>> Chapters if another country were very keen to play host but I think
>> the UK is in a good position with our pretty active GLAM programme and
>> we are pushing for more inter-chapter initiatives. Once we have some
>> nominal dates I can then try to stake our claim for another GLAMWIKI
>> with the wider community.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Fae
>> --
>> http://enwp.org/user_talk:fae
>> Guide to email tags: http://j.mp/faetags
>
> British Library's photography policy may be a problem.

What photography policy? Surely they don't ban photography in the
conference centre?

On 22 September 2011 21:13, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What photography policy? Surely they don't ban photography in the
> conference centre?

Not that I'm aware of but you can't keep Wikipedians in the conference
center at all times. I admit that during the last GLAM conference the
only photo that I took that has been uploaded is
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AHOTWgold_lama.JPG  but wikipedians
do like taking photos of things and taking photos of things is a big
part of our dealings with GLAMs.

--
geni

On 22 September 2011 21:37, geni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 22 September 2011 21:13, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> What photography policy? Surely they don't ban photography in the
>> conference centre?
>
> Not that I'm aware of but you can't keep Wikipedians in the conference
> center at all times. I admit that during the last GLAM conference the
> only photo that I took that has been uploaded is
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AHOTWgold_lama.JPG  but wikipedians
> do like taking photos of things and taking photos of things is a big
> part of our dealings with GLAMs.

I really can't see a problem. I think Wikipedians are capable of
understanding rules about where you can and can't take photos.

Re: Question: Dates for GLAMWIKI 2012 ?

Fae-6
Photography in general spaces is fine in the BL and their conference
centre. They only have concerns for special exhibitions and the
reading rooms. The GLAMwiki conference would not be about BL artefacts
so I cannot see this as a major obstacle; unless we want to be a bit
pointy and refuse a free host because we would like their policy to
improve. I would be happy for offers of help to find alternative hosts
of a similar reputation if we can get them for free.

Cheers,
Fae

On 22 September 2011 21:42, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I really can't see a problem. I think Wikipedians are capable of
> understanding rules about where you can and can't take photos.

We have quite a number of photos that suggest otherwise. For example
photography is banned in HMS Victory:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Commemorative_plaque_aboard_HMS_Victory_-_geograph.org.uk_-_648677.jpg
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Batterie_inférieure_-_Victory.jpg

and of course they threw Liam out for taking pics.

--
geni

Re: Question: Dates for GLAMWIKI 2012 ?

Richard Symonds-2
AFAI Knew, photography is forbidden on Victory only within the Shrine to
Nelson - I've taken photographs openly in front of crew members and not been
stopped.

On 22 September 2011 21:42, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I really can't see a problem. I think Wikipedians are capable of
> understanding rules about where you can and can't take photos.

We have quite a number of photos that suggest otherwise. For example
photography is banned in HMS Victory:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Commemorative_plaque_aboard_HMS_Victo
ry_-_geograph.org.uk_-_648677.jpg
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Batterie_inférieure_-_Victory.jpg

and of course they threw Liam out for taking pics.

--
geni

Re: Question: Dates for GLAMWIKI 2012 ?

Fae-6
Just to clarify, I have never had any problem taking photographs in
the BL of non-exhibition items. For example the statues, tapestries
and paintings in the Foyer and main public spaces, the building itself
and artefacts on long term display (such as the Perkins D cylinder
press). Objects such as the philatelic collections on public display
next to the cafe have specific signs asking you to not take
photographs (due to light sensitivity and because some of the
artefacts are not out of copyright).

Examples:
* http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:British_Library_Philatelic_Collection_exhibition.jpg
* http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:British_Library_book_transport.jpg
* http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:British_Library_artworks_on_display
* http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Sculptures_in_the_British_Library

Of course, if I were challenged I would follow the advice given,
though as with any institution individual security guards or other
staff can make mistakes and might not be all that clear as to how to
interpret the official policy.

Cheers,
Fae