Question: Should wikimedia wikis such as wikipedia be updated with a user frendly desgn

Question: Should wikimedia wikis such as wikipedia be updated with a user frendly desgn

Paladox
 Hi this is a question but shoulden Wikimedia wikis such as Wikipedia be updated with a user friendly design. Currently vector is coming out of date because now a days you see sites with bruitiful colours not old ones as they were in 2010 when vector came out. We could create another skin to replace vector as we did with monobook or update vector with a new look that has bold colours and goes along with mediawiki code and is also mobile optimised even though we have the mobilefrontend extension some users may not want to install instead hoping the skin is mobile optimised.

Re: Question: Should wikimedia wikis such as wikipedia be updated with a user frendly desgn

Ricordisamoa
There is some work about getting the mobile skin on desktop (T71366
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T71366>), and Blueprint
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Skin:Blueprint> powers the Living Style
Guide.
However, no matter how ancient Vector may look, the little updates it
has received over the years make me think it isn't that bad for those
who use it.

Il 08/09/2015 19:53, Thomas Mulhall ha scritto:
>   Hi this is a question but shoulden Wikimedia wikis such as Wikipedia be updated with a user friendly design. Currently vector is coming out of date because now a days you see sites with bruitiful colours not old ones as they were in 2010 when vector came out. We could create another skin to replace vector as we did with monobook or update vector with a new look that has bold colours and goes along with mediawiki code and is also mobile optimised even though we have the mobilefrontend extension some users may not want to install instead hoping the skin is mobile optimised.

Re: Question: Should wikimedia wikis such as wikipedia be updated with a user frendly desgn

Florian Schmidt
I'm not sure, if an overall new skin is a really good idea. In my opinion, Wikipedia (and other wmf wikis) needs the experienced users, as well as "the person who think, that Wikipedia is written by paid people". While the first group could maybe handle a complete new skin, i'm sure, that all others will be very confused, which is not the goal, i think.

Vector itself doesn't look "so old" in my opinion and with the MediaWiki skin in OOUI it's possible to built a modern UI which perfectly fits into Vector.

While I like new designs, i don't think, that we need a new skin to replace vector (but that's only my opinion)

Gesendet mit meinem HTC

There is some work about getting the mobile skin on desktop (T71366
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T71366>), and Blueprint
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Skin:Blueprint> powers the Living Style
Guide.
However, no matter how ancient Vector may look, the little updates it
has received over the years make me think it isn't that bad for those
who use it.

Il 08/09/2015 19:53, Thomas Mulhall ha scritto:
>   Hi this is a question but shoulden Wikimedia wikis such as Wikipedia be updated with a user friendly design. Currently vector is coming out of date because now a days you see sites with bruitiful colours not old ones as they were in 2010 when vector came out. We could create another skin to replace vector as we did with monobook or update vector with a new look that has bold colours and goes along with mediawiki code and is also mobile optimised even though we have the mobilefrontend extension some users may not want to install instead hoping the skin is mobile optimised.

Re: Question: Should wikimedia wikis such as wikipedia be updated with a user frendly desgn

Magnus Manske-2
Whatever happened to Winter? It's not coming, AFAICT...

On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 2:58 PM Ricordisamoa <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> There is some work about getting the mobile skin on desktop (T71366
> <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T71366>), and Blueprint
> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Skin:Blueprint> powers the Living Style
> Guide.
> However, no matter how ancient Vector may look, the little updates it
> has received over the years make me think it isn't that bad for those
> who use it.
>
> Il 08/09/2015 19:53, Thomas Mulhall ha scritto:
> >   Hi this is a question but shoulden Wikimedia wikis such as Wikipedia
> be updated with a user friendly design. Currently vector is coming out of
> date because now a days you see sites with bruitiful colours not old ones
> as they were in 2010 when vector came out. We could create another skin to
> replace vector as we did with monobook or update vector with a new look
> that has bold colours and goes along with mediawiki code and is also mobile
> optimised even though we have the mobilefrontend extension some users may
> not want to install instead hoping the skin is mobile optimised.

Re: Question: Should wikimedia wikis such as wikipedia be updated with a user frendly desgn

S Page-3
(adding Design list)

On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 9:06 AM, Magnus Manske <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Whatever happened to Winter? It's not coming, AFAICT...

Yes. See the "Winter" thread on the design mailing list:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/design/2015-July/thread.html

There are three avenues for appearance development
* User JS+CSS and gadgets.
* Iterate on Vector as Beta features (sadly "Compact personal bar" and
"Fixed header" are no longer offered as Beta Features due to bugs).
* Prototype and refine new skins.

Regards,

--
=S Page  WMF Tech writer

Re: Question: Should wikimedia wikis such as wikipedia be updated with a user frendly desgn

Antoine Musso-3
Le 08/09/2015 19:53, Thomas Mulhall a écrit :
>  Hi this is a question but shoulden Wikimedia wikis such as Wikipedia be updated with
a user friendly design. Currently vector is coming out of date because
now a days you see sites with bruitiful colours not old ones as they
were in 2010 when vector came out. We could create another skin to
replace vector as we did with monobook or update vector with a new look
that has bold colours and goes along with mediawiki code and is also
mobile optimised even though we have the mobilefrontend extension some
users may not want to install instead hoping the skin is mobile optimised.

Hello,

Others in the thread mentioned ongoing work via MediaWiki skins.

There is another total conversion that more and more folks around me are
using: Wikiwand.

http://www.wikiwand.com/en/MediaWiki

Comes as Android/IOS apps and extensions for Chrome, Firefox, Safari.

I really like the simple design and all the tiny tricks they came up
with.   Note each articles at the top shows potential connections, which
is a good way to get lost in the encyclopedia :-}

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso

Re: Question: Should wikimedia wikis such as wikipedia be updated with a user frendly desgn

Vivek Ghaisas
I've been meaning to ask about this on the mailing list, but have people
seen http://www.wikipediaredefined.com/ ?

"Imagine you were granted the magic power to change any website in the
whole world-wide web the way you like it, to make it better,
more functional, more useful, better looking, more pleasing or disrupting
to the eye. We've also played that game. And we've chosen Wikipedia."

Certainly worth taking a look at, even though there are things that many
(including me) may not agree with.

--
Vivek Ghaisas
(polybuildr)

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 2:41 AM, Antoine Musso <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 08/09/2015 19:53, Thomas Mulhall a écrit :
> >  Hi this is a question but shoulden Wikimedia wikis such as Wikipedia be
> updated with
> a user friendly design. Currently vector is coming out of date because
> now a days you see sites with bruitiful colours not old ones as they
> were in 2010 when vector came out. We could create another skin to
> replace vector as we did with monobook or update vector with a new look
> that has bold colours and goes along with mediawiki code and is also
> mobile optimised even though we have the mobilefrontend extension some
> users may not want to install instead hoping the skin is mobile optimised.
>
> Hello,
>
> Others in the thread mentioned ongoing work via MediaWiki skins.
>
> There is another total conversion that more and more folks around me are
> using: Wikiwand.
>
> http://www.wikiwand.com/en/MediaWiki
>
> Comes as Android/IOS apps and extensions for Chrome, Firefox, Safari.
>

> I really like the simple design and all the tiny tricks they came up
> with.   Note each articles at the top shows potential connections, which
> is a good way to get lost in the encyclopedia :-}
>

> --
> Antoine "hashar" Musso

Re: Question: Should wikimedia wikis such as wikipedia be updated with a user frendly desgn

Daniel Friesen-2
Yes, a lot of people have already seen it and the bunch of other
Unsolicited Wikipedia Redesigns[1]

Wikipedia Redefined also got the "honor" of having what's wrong with it
explicitly picked out:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2012-August/121650.html

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Unsolicited_redesigns