Question for the WM 2014 London team

Muhammad Yahia
Hi all,

I received this question about visas for Iranian citizens and am passing it along:

As it stands now, UK visa requirements for Iranian citizens is to have a bank account with (on average) 10000 USD or equivalent in the last six months, plus proof of ownership of a property in Iran, the documents have to be translated and notarized.

Most of the volunteers interested in getting scholarship for WM or trying to arrange travel on their own are mostly young people who do not satisfy either conditions, is there something that the UK team can do about that? can they get confirmation that if they apply these requirements will be waived or something similar?

Thanks!
--
Best Regards,
Muhammad Yahia

Re: Question for the WM 2014 London team

Ellie Young
I will be sure to take this up when we are putting together instructions this Spring.  UK Immigation has agreed to
put together a "how to apply" guide for our event.  I will be sure this issue get put to them.

Ellie

WMF Conference Coordinator

On Jan 12, 2014, at 2:08 PM, Muhammad Yahia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I received this question about visas for Iranian citizens and am passing it along:
>
> As it stands now, UK visa requirements for Iranian citizens is to have a bank account with (on average) 10000 USD or equivalent in the last six months, plus proof of ownership of a property in Iran, the documents have to be translated and notarized.
>
> Most of the volunteers interested in getting scholarship for WM or trying to arrange travel on their own are mostly young people who do not satisfy either conditions, is there something that the UK team can do about that? can they get confirmation that if they apply these requirements will be waived or something similar?
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Best Regards,
> Muhammad Yahia

Re: Question for the WM 2014 London team

Aude-2
On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 5:31 PM, Ellie Young <[hidden email]> wrote:
I will be sure to take this up when we are putting together instructions this Spring.  UK Immigation has agreed to
put together a "how to apply" guide for our event.  I will be sure this issue get put to them.

I wouldn't wait until spring to bring this up with UK immigration.

It's not too soon to start now.  The process for folks in Iran can take quite a while (if similar to the process for Wikimania 2012 in the US) but I think can be successful.

People in Iran will need to travel (at least once) to a UK consulate in Turkey or UAE to apply.

Cheers,
Katie

@wikimediadc / @wikidata

Re: Question for the WM 2014 London team

Ellie Young
I have already brought this up with them and waiting to hear back (first response didn't sound like there was much we can do frankly...)   My comment about the spring is that is when we will have  a guide for our attendees who need visas.  They  said it would be ready in the next couple of months.  We won't be notifying people about their scholarships until April.

And while we are on this subject, I want to reiterate  that we expect individuals to cover their own visa expenses as well as contacting the British Consulate on their own or through a visa service in their home country. The UK accepts applications for visas 90 days prior to the expected date of entering the UK (applying before doesn't do any good.)

Ellie

@wikimediadc / @wikidata

Re: Question for the WM 2014 London team

Muhammad Yahia
If this is similar to US visa process, I would think an invitation from WM UK would be enough to waive those requirements, that of course has to be arranged with the British government.

@wikimediadc / @wikidata

Best Regards,
Muhammad Yahia

Re: Question for the WM 2014 London team

Nkansah Rexford

Do the invitation letter really change a thing? I will be surprised to see a consular waive all those requirements because of a 1-paged white paper with black in on, signed by an organization called Wikimedia UK.

For instance, in Ghana, consulate don't care who or what is inviting you, nor even take delight in reading the letter.

If the requirements say get a certain amount and or fulfil certain requirements, please get that with you.

Consular even reject visa from applicants invited by United Nations, so I'm still wondering how much impact a letter can do.

Get your documents right. Its not easy, but it'll save you from disappointments.

Rexford | Africa Center | wikiafrica.net | sent from Tab

On Jan 13, 2014 3:31 AM, "Muhammad Yahia" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> As it stands now, UK visa requirements for Iranian citizens is to have a bank account with (on average) 10000 USD or equivalent in the last six months, plus proof of ownership of a property in Iran, the documents have to be translated and notarized.
>
> Most of the volunteers interested in getting scholarship for WM or trying to arrange travel on their own are mostly young people who do not satisfy either conditions, is there something that the UK team can do about that? can they get confirmation that if they apply these requirements will be waived or something similar?
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Best Regards,
> Muhammad Yahia

@wikimediadc / @wikidata

Best Regards,
Muhammad Yahia

Re: Question for the WM 2014 London team

In addition, there might be other better ways of handling issues for such applicants wanting to attend the Wikimania other than just sending a signed letter to be given to the embassy.

Perhaps, the Wikimedia UK, sending specific details of those they've awarded scholarship to the originating country's embassy will give the embassy a fair idea of the one applying.

Details like, passport details, itenary ticket, accommodation, length of stay, arrangements to bring the attendee back, track record of returnees of such conferences, and what the embassy should do to wikimedia uk if it happens the person doesn't back.

And these details should be sent directly to the embassy.

Informing the embassy beforehand is far professional looking and indicates seriousness on the part of the inviting organization, than emailing a letter for the applicant to hold in his hand and give to the embassy.

I'm in Ghana, and I know how it is on the ground. I went through hell to get visa from south Africa embassy. The UK can be 5x worse.

If the best the inviting organization can do is send a letter, then there's little the applicant here can do.

On Jan 13, 2014 9:32 AM, "Nkansah Rexford" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

> As it stands now, UK visa requirements for Iranian citizens is to have a bank account with (on average) 10000 USD or equivalent in the last six months, plus proof of ownership of a property in Iran, the documents have to be translated and notarized.
>
> Most of the volunteers interested in getting scholarship for WM or trying to arrange travel on their own are mostly young people who do not satisfy either conditions, is there something that the UK team can do about that? can they get confirmation that if they apply these requirements will be waived or something similar?
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Best Regards,
> Muhammad Yahia

@wikimediadc / @wikidata

Best Regards,
Muhammad Yahia

Re: Question for the WM 2014 London team

Abbas Mahmood
Most of the UK Embassies worldwide (including Ghana) outsource their visa application handling to VFS Global, so sending the documents directly to the Embassy won't work...

Abbas.

Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 10:52:06 +0200
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Wikimania-l] Question for the WM 2014 London team

> [...]

> As it stands now, UK visa requirements for Iranian citizens is to have a bank account with (on average) 10000 USD or equivalent in the last six months, plus proof of ownership of a property in Iran, the documents have to be translated and notarized.
>
> Most of the volunteers interested in getting scholarship for WM or trying to arrange travel on their own are mostly young people who do not satisfy either conditions, is there something that the UK team can do about that? can they get confirmation that if they apply these requirements will be waived or something similar?
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Best Regards,
> Muhammad Yahia

@wikimediadc / @wikidata

Best Regards,
Muhammad Yahia

Re: Question for the WM 2014 London team

Well, don't be tricked!

They have outsourced the COLLECTION of the visa from the public to vfs, but it is the embassy that ISSUES the visa.

The vfs people, EVERYDAY, send in applications they've received to the embassy they work for. When the visa is processed and is ready, the vfs people will go and collect from the embassy, and the applicant will go and collect the issued visa from VFS, thinking the vfs people issued it.

If the vfs people issue visa, then why don't the embassy close, after all someone is doing the job?

I was at the embassy, about 3 times, and I saw vfs car, bring in the application.

They've outsourced the collection, so that people don't overcrowd the embassy residence all the times.

For Ghana, that's how it is. For other countries, I have no idea. Perhaps, the consular is resting, whiles vfs issues visa.

Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 10:52:06 +0200
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]

Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 10:52:06 +0200
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]

> [...]

> As it stands now, UK visa requirements for Iranian citizens is to have a bank account with (on average) 10000 USD or equivalent in the last six months, plus proof of ownership of a property in Iran, the documents have to be translated and notarized.
>
> Most of the volunteers interested in getting scholarship for WM or trying to arrange travel on their own are mostly young people who do not satisfy either conditions, is there something that the UK team can do about that? can they get confirmation that if they apply these requirements will be waived or something similar?
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Best Regards,
> Muhammad Yahia

@wikimediadc / @wikidata

Best Regards,
Muhammad Yahia

Re: Question for the WM 2014 London team

My dear Rexford,

Please read my email again. I clearly used the word _application_. I am very well aware of who processes and issues the visa. My point was that you can not simply bend protocol and forward your application documents directly to the embassy when there is a structure in place to do just that.

Abbas.

Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 10:52:06 +0200
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]

> [...]

> As it stands now, UK visa requirements for Iranian citizens is to have a bank account with (on average) 10000 USD or equivalent in the last six months, plus proof of ownership of a property in Iran, the documents have to be translated and notarized.
>
> Most of the volunteers interested in getting scholarship for WM or trying to arrange travel on their own are mostly young people who do not satisfy either conditions, is there something that the UK team can do about that? can they get confirmation that if they apply these requirements will be waived or something similar?
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Best Regards,
> Muhammad Yahia

@wikimediadc / @wikidata

Best Regards,
Muhammad Yahia

Re: Question for the WM 2014 London team

My dear Abbas,

My last email isn't referring to the _usual_ application. I'm saying those documents should be there "in front" of the consular _before_ the applicant is there with his/her _usual_ application.

Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 10:52:06 +0200
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]

> [...]

> As it stands now, UK visa requirements for Iranian citizens is to have a bank account with (on average) 10000 USD or equivalent in the last six months, plus proof of ownership of a property in Iran, the documents have to be translated and notarized.
>
> Most of the volunteers interested in getting scholarship for WM or trying to arrange travel on their own are mostly young people who do not satisfy either conditions, is there something that the UK team can do about that? can they get confirmation that if they apply these requirements will be waived or something similar?
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Best Regards,
> Muhammad Yahia

@wikimediadc / @wikidata

Best Regards,
Muhammad Yahia

Re: Question for the WM 2014 London team

Chris Keating-2

Hi Muhammad,

I was just looking on the UK Border Agency website and could not see any mention of 10,000 USD requirements or property ownership. Do you have any further info?

(I appreciate that it will still be difficult for Iranians to get a visa even if that isn't the case...)

On 12 Jan 2014 22:08, "Muhammad Yahia" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hey Chris,

That was the information relayed to me, I will ask the person who asked the question for the source. It maybe be at the UAE/Turkey embassy website.

On 12 Jan 2014 22:08, "Muhammad Yahia" <<a href="javascript:_e({}, &#39;cvml&#39;, &#39;shipmaster@gmail.com&#39;);" target="_blank">shipmaster@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Chris,

I just got a reply:

Several people who applied for a visa from Iran last year got these 'verbal' requirements from the UAE/Turkey embassies. These are based on the information here

They were told that these requirements are designed to satisfy the following clause from the same website:

"The person who is 'sponsoring' your visit cannot give a guarantee that you will comply with the terms of your visa, or that you will leave the UK at the end of your visit.

They can help you with your application and provide you with the relevant supporting documents listed in our guidance, but you must provide these documents to us yourself."

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 2:45 PM, Muhammad Yahia <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hmmmm. As far as I can see from http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/visiting/general/requirements/ the general requirement is to prove a number of things, which are listed below.

I am no expert but it seems to me that the "10,000 USD and a house in Iran" is a suggestion of proving that
a) you have enough money to sustain you for the 6-month period of a tourist visa
b) you have good reasons to return to Iran after Wikimania

I would hope that there are other ways to demonstrate these things - .e.g.  suggest that with a letter of invitation it would be possible to argue that you only need the funds to live for the week of Wikimania.

Though sadly I can't guarantee that the UK Border Agency will be sensible.....

Chris

  • you are 18 or over;
  • you intend to visit the UK for no more than 6 months (or 12 months if you will be accompanying an academic visitor);
  • you intend to leave the UK at the end of your visit;
  • you have enough money to support and accommodate yourself without working or help from public funds, or you and any dependants will be supported and accommodated by relatives or friends;
  • you can meet the cost of the return or onward journey; and
  • you are not in transit to a country outside the 'Common Travel Area' (Ireland, the UK, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands).

You must also be able to show that, during your visit, you do not intend to:

  • live in the UK for extended periods through frequent or successive visits;
  • take paid or unpaid employment, produce goods or provide services, including the selling of goods or services directly to members of the public;
  • do a course of study, as long as this study is not the main reason for your visit (see 'permitted study' below);
  • marry or register a civil partnership, or give notice of marriage or civil partnership;
  • carry out the activities of a business visitor, a sports visitor or an entertainer visitor; or
  • receive private medical treatment.

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 3:50 PM, Muhammad Yahia <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Muhammad Yahia, 14/01/2014 16:50:
> "The person who is 'sponsoring' your visit cannot give a guarantee that
> you will comply with the terms of your visa, or*that you will leave the
> UK at the end of your visit*.

Then it's easy, we ensure they have a return ticket and we promise block
on all Wikimedia projects if they don't leave UK. It's like capital
sentence, who wouldn't comply?

Nemo

Re: Question for the WM 2014 London team

Amir Sarabadani-2

On Jan 18, 2014 10:24 PM, "Federico Leva (Nemo)" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Muhammad Yahia, 14/01/2014 16:50:
>>
>> "The person who is 'sponsoring' your visit cannot give a guarantee that
>> you will comply with the terms of your visa, or*that you will leave the
>> UK at the end of your visit*.
>

> Then it's easy, we ensure they have a return ticket and we promise block on all Wikimedia projects if they don't leave UK. It's like capital sentence, who wouldn't comply?

It's enough for me but I don't think that promise convices people in embassy.
> Nemo

Re: Question for the WM 2014 London team

Sven Manguard

It's also not at all a valid blocking reason, and shouldn't be one.

Sven

On Jan 18, 2014 2:26 PM, "Amir Ladsgroup" <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jan 18, 2014 10:24 PM, "Federico Leva (Nemo)" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Muhammad Yahia, 14/01/2014 16:50:
>>
>> "The person who is 'sponsoring' your visit cannot give a guarantee that
>> you will comply with the terms of your visa, or*that you will leave the
>> UK at the end of your visit*.
>

> Then it's easy, we ensure they have a return ticket and we promise block on all Wikimedia projects if they don't leave UK. It's like capital sentence, who wouldn't comply?

It's enough for me but I don't think that promise convices people in embassy.
> Nemo

Re: Question for the WM 2014 London team

Deryck Chan
It is a valid blocking reason. It falls under the category of "cross-wiki abuse" in the clause "inappropriate use of user rights with access to private information". Wikimania is officially a Wikimedia project even though it's offline. ;)

Deryck