Question on article creation policy

Haifeng Zhang
Dear folks,

I'm checking the Article Creation page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Article_creation), and it says:

The ability to create articles directly in mainspace is restricted<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:ACPERM> to autoconfirmed users, though non-confirmed users and non-registered users can submit a proposed article through the Articles for Creation<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_creation> process, where it will be reviewed and considered for publication.

Anyone knows when the restriction (e.g., registered and auto-confirmed) become effective? I tracked the past revisions of the page but found no clue. A more general question is: where to find information about policy changes, e.g., article creation, in Wikipedia?

Thanks,

Haifeng

Re: Question on article creation policy

Aaron Halfaker-2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Autoconfirmed_article_creation_trial

See also
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Autoconfirmed_article_creation_trial
and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Autoconfirmed_article_creation_trial/Post-trial_Research_Report

On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 1:48 PM Haifeng Zhang <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Dear folks,
>
> I'm checking the Article Creation page (
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Article_creation), and it says:
>

> The ability to create articles directly in mainspace is restricted<
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:ACPERM> to autoconfirmed users,
> though non-confirmed users and non-registered users can submit a proposed
> article through the Articles for Creation<
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_creation> process,
> where it will be reviewed and considered for publication.
>

> Anyone knows when the restriction (e.g., registered and auto-confirmed)
> become effective? I tracked the past revisions of the page but found no
> clue. A more general question is: where to find information about policy
> changes, e.g., article creation, in Wikipedia?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Haifeng

Re: Question on article creation policy

Morten Wang
In addition to Aaron's helpful pointers, here are the timestamps (all in
UTC) I've found for when ACTRIAL started and ended, and when the permanent
restriction went into place:

ACTRIAL start: 2017-09-14 22:30:00 or thereabouts, ref the first post by
Kaldari in this archived thread from the ACTRIAL talk page
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Autoconfirmed_article_creation_trial/Archive_4#ACTRIAL_is_live>
.
ACTRIAL end: 2018-03-14 17:30:00 or thereabouts, based on the timestamp of
the first article created by a non-autoconfirmed user after ACTRIAL ended.
ACPERM start: 2018-04-27 00:00:00 or thereabouts, based on the timestamp in
T192455#4162881 <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T192455#4162881>.

You can also see the dates for these in this dashboard showing page
creations by non-autoconfirmed users on enwiki
<https://page-creation.wmflabs.org/#projects=enwiki/metrics=Daily%20Pages%20Created%20in%20the%20Main%20namespace%20(ns%3D0)%20by%20non-autoconfirmed%20users>
.

Cheers,
Morten

Re: Question on article creation policy

Kerry Raymond
Registered means has created a user account.

Confirmation can be done manually or automatically. From memory, it occurs automatically after 10 acceptable edits (I presume this means not-reverted edits) and/or 4 days after creating the user account. I think these values were chosen because past experience shows us that vandals have very little patience and tend to vandalise within their first few edits or first few days so anyone who gets past these milestones probably has good intentions. Confirmation is done manually if the user needs the right to create articles sooner than the automatic process would otherwise assign it; this situation usually arises at edit-a-thons where new participants always have good intentions (I've never seen a vandal come to an event). Administrators and those users who are designated event coordinators (e.g. me) have the ability to confirm an account earlier if there is some good reason.

Where is more information about policy changes in Wikipedia? Good question. After 14 years on-wiki, policies change without my knowledge all the time. It is a very common complaint that policy change takes place without adequate notification to affected WikiProjects, etc, so people can be aware of the proposal and participate in the discussion. And I suspect this situation suits a lot of people who know they are pushing through an unpopular change. There are lots of places where policy changes can be discussed and consensus reached, so it's hard to monitor all of them. Even using a watchlist, some discussion pages are so active, you just cannot keep watching them (when many of the page changes are not of any significance). We lack an effective notification system of issues at a higher level than "page change". There is an expectation that significant discussions should be drawn to the attention of others, but somehow this doesn't always happen.

Does the policy work? Yes and no. Very few articles survive the Articles for Creation process. If you review there (as I have done), you realise pretty quickly that new users almost always create articles about living people and current organisations, many of which appear to run-of-the-mill, e.g. a local dental practice group, a financial planner, etc. Although you usually have no concrete evidence (unless their user name is the same or a variant of the article title), nonetheless you tend to suspect this is people writing about themselves or their organisation and that there is conflict of interest and promotional intent. Some of them are well-written according to our Manual of Style, which tends to make you suspect undisclosed paid editing could be involved. So faced with the deluge of such articles, the reviewer quickly becomes conditioned to click "not accepted - insufficient citations to reliable sources" (which is code for an option you don’t get "I really doubt this is an encyclopaedic topic"). While the user can revise it and resubmit the draft, it generally gets rejected again and again. Eventually the user gives up and the draft is deleted after six months inactivity. Because the reviewing at AfC is rather soul-destroying (or so I find), reviewers decide to do something else with their time than monitor this stream of CoI dross, and so AfC is perpetually short of reviewers and there is usually a huge backlog of AfC reviews pending (which further discourages the contributing user). So back to the question of "does this policy work?". The answer is Yes it works in that it protects Wikipedia from content we do not want. The answer is No it doesn't work as genuine good faith users attempting to create an article on a topic that probably is encyclopedic are not noticed and given genuine assistance due to the conditioning of the reviewers and we lose those well-intentioned people as contributors because of this bad experience. It also burns out a lot of AfC reviewers along the way. What's the way to fix it? I wish I knew.

Kerry

Re: Question on article creation policy

Su-Laine Brodsky
Hi Haifeng,

Re :  A more general question is: where to find information about policy changes, e.g., article creation, in Wikipedia?

The Wikipedia Signpost usually covers major policy changes like this one (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost)

As Kerry pointed out though, more subtle policy changes happen without much publicity. If changes are contentious enough, they might appear in an RfC or The Village Pump, so those are some other areas to look.

Cheers,
Su-Laine

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 9, 2019, at 11:48 AM, Haifeng Zhang <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear folks,
>
> I'm checking the Article Creation page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Article_creation), and it says:
>

> The ability to create articles directly in mainspace is restricted<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:ACPERM> to autoconfirmed users, though non-confirmed users and non-registered users can submit a proposed article through the Articles for Creation<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_creation> process, where it will be reviewed and considered for publication.
>

> Anyone knows when the restriction (e.g., registered and auto-confirmed) become effective? I tracked the past revisions of the page but found no clue. A more general question is: where to find information about policy changes, e.g., article creation, in Wikipedia?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Haifeng

Re: Question on article creation policy

Haifeng Zhang
Thanks a lot for providing all these information!

Was there a major change in article creation policy in early 2007?

Can anonymous users create new pages before then?

Best,

Haifeng Zhang
________________________________
Re :  A more general question is: where to find information about policy changes, e.g., article creation, in Wikipedia?

The Wikipedia Signpost usually covers major policy changes like this one (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost)

As Kerry pointed out though, more subtle policy changes happen without much publicity. If changes are contentious enough, they might appear in an RfC or The Village Pump, so those are some other areas to look.

Cheers,
Su-Laine

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 9, 2019, at 11:48 AM, Haifeng Zhang <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear folks,
>
> I'm checking the Article Creation page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Article_creation), and it says:
>

> The ability to create articles directly in mainspace is restricted<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:ACPERM> to autoconfirmed users, though non-confirmed users and non-registered users can submit a proposed article through the Articles for Creation<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_creation> process, where it will be reviewed and considered for publication.
>

> Anyone knows when the restriction (e.g., registered and auto-confirmed) become effective? I tracked the past revisions of the page but found no clue. A more general question is: where to find information about policy changes, e.g., article creation, in Wikipedia?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Haifeng

Re: Question on article creation policy

Su-Laine Brodsky
Hi Haifeng,

The history of the following page might indicate when policies changed around the access levels required to create articles: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:User_access_levels .

Cheers,
Su-Laine

> On Aug 11, 2019, at 9:25 AM, Haifeng Zhang <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks a lot for providing all these information!
>
> Was there a major change in article creation policy in early 2007?
>
> Can anonymous users create new pages before then?
>

> Best,
>
> Haifeng Zhang
> ________________________________

WereSpielChequers-2
Hi Haifeng,

IP editors were able to create new articles until December 2005.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Wikipedia

There was a sea change on the pedia in 2007, and the number of active
editors reached its highest peak then - even the 2015/2016 rally didn't get
back to that level. I don't think that we have consensus as to what changed
in 2007 and why things changed in 2007, I suspect it was multifaceted, but
one factor will turnout to be the switch from the previous SOFIXIT culture
to the current SOTEMPLATEITFORHYPOTHETICALOTHERSTOFIX culture.

Jonathan