Question

Tatiana Mitrokhina
Hello dear Wikipedians,

my name is Tatiana.  I've installed German and English wikipedia locally and tried to find out, how the Tables "Page" and "Langlinks" in the database are connected. Do you know, how it functions?
I've made some attemts to get at least a title of the article and correcponding titles of it in other languages.
So I took  a piece of XML dump (German):
- <page>
<title>Actinium</title>
<id>3</id>
- <revision>
<id>27364210</id>
<timestamp>2007-02-04T20:15:45Z</timestamp>
- <contributor>
<username>PortalBot</username>
<id>146374</id> …
And the numerous „id“s …didn’t let me to  get the result.
The matter is:
In the table „page“ page_title is Actinium and page_id is „1368“.
In the table „langlinks“ ll_from  is „3“
As far as I understand from the scheme of the DB table „langlinks“ is connencted only to „page“ table , but how? How page_id= 1368 turns to ll_from=3 and in XML id= 3.

I would appreciate your help greatly.

Tatiana

Heute schon einen Blick in die Zukunft von E-Mails wagen? Versuchen Sie´s mit dem neuen Yahoo! Mail.

Re: Question

alain_desilets
I can't really help you with that, but I am interested in learning more about why you are doing this.

I am doing some research on multilingual wiki and the use of wikipedia as a terminological database:

Translation the Wiki Way:

Making WikiMedia resources more useful for translators

Will you be at WikiMania next week? If so, will you be attending the Hacking Day Extra? There are a number of people who will be there who are interested in  multilngual related wiki stuff.

Best regards,

----
Alain Désilets, National Research Council of Canada
Chair, WikiSym 2007

2007 International Symposium on Wikis
Wikis at Work in the World:
Open, Organic, Participatory Media for the 21st Century

http://www.wikisym.org/ws2007/

Re: Question

Tatiana Mitrokhina
Hallo Alain,

thank you  very much for the Interest and the information about Wikisym.
I'm  a student of Computational Linguistics and writing a Magister Thesis "Datamining for a multilingual Dictionary from the Wikipedia" ("Gewinnung eines multilingualen Wörterbuch aus der mehrsprachigen Wikipedia") at CIS, University of Munich.
In fact, I've already solve the problem in another way, but it is interesting for me, as databases, along with datamining, languages, information retrieval, serach engines, is a sphere of my (future) professional interests.

Best regards,
Tatiana

"Desilets, Alain" <[hidden email]> schrieb:
I can't really help you with that, but I am interested in learning more about why you are doing this.

I am doing some research on multilingual wiki and the use of wikipedia as a terminological database:

Translation the Wiki Way:

Making WikiMedia resources more useful for translators

Will you be at WikiMania next week? If so, will you be attending the Hacking Day Extra? There are a number of people who will be there who are interested in  multilngual related wiki stuff.

Best regards,

----
Alain Désilets, National Research Council of Canada
Chair, WikiSym 2007

2007 International Symposium on Wikis
Wikis at Work in the World:
Open, Organic, Participatory Media for the 21st Century

http://www.wikisym.org/ws2007/

Re: Question

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
I will be at Wikimania .. and give https://mined2mind.com/portal/ a try .. i will be happy to explain what it is all about at Wikimania
Thanks,
    GerardM

NB for the information of transtlators, OmegaT does support the reading of a MediaWIki text as a start for a translation.. :)

On 7/28/07, Desilets, Alain <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Heute schon einen Blick in die Zukunft von E-Mails wagen? Versuchen Sie´s mit dem <a href="http://de.rd.yahoo.com/evt=40591/*http://de.docs.yahoo.com/ymail/landing.html" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">neuen Yahoo! Mail.

<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l" target="_blank">http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l

Re: Question

DaBuum
Hi GerardM,

Do you have some more information about this topic? How to get MediaWiki
text in OmegaT?

Regards,
 Bene

Re: Question

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
It is an option in a menu, what you have to do is provide the URL.
Thanks,
    GerardM

http://www.omegat.org/omegat/omegat.html

On 7/29/07, DaBuum <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi GerardM,

> [...]

Great! How can we meet there?

NB for the information of transtlators, OmegaT does support the reading of a MediaWIki text as a start for a translation.. :)

On 7/28/07, Desilets, Alain <[hidden email]> wrote:
I can't really help you with that, but I am interested in learning more about why you are doing this.

I am doing some research on multilingual wiki and the use of wikipedia as a terminological database:

Translation the Wiki Way:
<A onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://iit-iti.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/publications/nrc-48736_e.html" target=_blank>http://iit-iti.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/publications/nrc-48736_e.html

Making WikiMedia resources more useful for translators

<A onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://wikimania2007.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proceedings:AD1" target=_blank>http://wikimania2007.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proceedings:AD1

<A onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://www.wikisym.org/ws2007/" target=_blank>http://www.wikisym.org/ws2007/

[...]

Heute schon einen Blick in die Zukunft von E-Mails wagen? Versuchen Sie´s mit dem <A onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://de.rd.yahoo.com/evt=40591/*http://de.docs.yahoo.com/ymail/landing.html" target=_blank>neuen Yahoo! Mail.

Re: Question

alain_desilets
I looked around OmegaW and could not find this feature. Can you give me an idea of where to find it?

Thx.

Alain

It is an option in a menu, what you have to do is provide the URL.
Thanks,
    GerardM

http://www.omegat.org/omegat/omegat.html

On 7/29/07, DaBuum <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi GerardM,

I had to ask how it works, and I asked Sabine Cretella who is with the OmegaT project (as well as so many other projects :) )
Thanks,
     Gerard

[8:51:36 PM] Sabine Cretella zegt: first drop down menu
[8:51:43 PM] Sabine Cretella zegt: you first have to creat a project
[8:51:48 PM] Sabine Cretella zegt: once the project is created you say
[8:52:11 PM] Sabine Cretella zegt: project/import from mediawiki
[8:52:18 PM] Sabine Cretella zegt: and you provide the link

On 7/29/07, Desilets, Alain <[hidden email]> wrote:
I looked around OmegaW and could not find this feature. Can you give me an idea of where to find it?

Thx.

Alain

It is an option in a menu, what you have to do is provide the URL.
Thanks,
    GerardM

On 7/29/07, DaBuum <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi GerardM,

BTW: If there are any OmegaWiki people on this list who plan to be at WikiMania, I'd love to meet you guys.

Alain

Thx for the pointers Sabine and Gerard. But I still can't figure out those instructions.

> [8:51:36 PM] Sabine Cretella zegt: first drop down menu

When I go to OmegaWiki, what I see is the attached screen shot.

Where is the "first drop down menu" in that picture?

> [8:51:48 PM] Sabine Cretella zegt: once the project is created you say
> [8:52:11 PM] Sabine Cretella zegt: project/import from mediawiki
> [8:52:18 PM] Sabine Cretella zegt: and you provide the link

Presumably once I have found the "first drop down menu", the rest will be apparent right?

<A onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://www.omegat.org/omegat/omegat.html" target=_blank>http://www.omegat.org/omegat/omegat.html

On 7/29/07, DaBuum <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi GerardM,

As an apetizer, http://www.omegawiki.org/Meta:Wikiproteins is what I will talk about ... I only have half an hour for my presentation.. So I think there will be much to talk about outside of the presentation :) I will also talk for an hour about language related stuff.. this is where I will mention OmegaT supporting MediaWiki translations. There are plans to go beyond what is currently on offer; when the API for writing to MediaWiki is available, we want to include this as well. Also we have dreams about recognizing the domain of a text that is to be translated and provide a dictionary for translators optimized for the domain... We have progressed in this direction.. we are not there yet.
Thanks,
    GerardM

On 7/29/07, Desilets, Alain <[hidden email]> wrote:
BTW: If there are any OmegaWiki people on this list who plan to be at WikiMania, I'd love to meet you guys.

Alain

Thx for the pointers Sabine and Gerard. But I still can't figure out those instructions.

> [8:51:36 PM] Sabine Cretella zegt: first drop down menu

When I go to OmegaWiki, what I see is the attached screen shot.

Where is the "first drop down menu" in that picture?

> [8:51:48 PM] Sabine Cretella zegt: once the project is created you say
> [8:52:11 PM] Sabine Cretella zegt: project/import from mediawiki
> [8:52:18 PM] Sabine Cretella zegt: and you provide the link

Presumably once I have found the "first drop down menu", the rest will be apparent right?

It is an option in a menu, what you have to do is provide the URL.
Thanks,
    GerardM

On 7/29/07, DaBuum <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi GerardM,

You and I should DEFINITELY talk!

My presentation is about evaluating and improving wiki resources (WikiPedia, Wiktionary, OmegaWiki) for the needs of translators.

----