Quick London meet with Sue Gardner - Wed 5th Dec

Quick London meet with Sue Gardner - Wed 5th Dec

David Gerard-2
Sue's in town next week. Wednesday 5th, anyone? What was the pub we
went to (near Holborn I think) that didn't suck? (After going to the
one that did suck.)

Wed 5th afternoon is my works' Christmas party, so expect me to be
mostly trashed and sipping Coke and Red Bull.

- d.

Re: Quick London meet with Sue Gardner - Wed 5th Dec

Katie Chan
On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 16:42 +0000, David Gerard wrote:
> Wed 5th afternoon is my works' Christmas party, so expect me to be
> mostly trashed and sipping Coke and Red Bull.

Shouldn't that be "mostly trashed and getting more trashed"? ;-)

  - Heinrich Heine

Re: Quick London meet with Sue Gardner - Wed 5th Dec

Abigail Brady-2
On Nov 29, 2007 4:42 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sue's in town next week. Wednesday 5th, anyone? What was the pub we
went to (near Holborn I think) that didn't suck? (After going to the
one that did suck.)

The Shakespeare's Head.  Just south on Kingsway from Holborn tube station.

--
Abi

On 29/11/2007, Abigail Brady <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Nov 29, 2007 4:42 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Sue's in town next week. Wednesday 5th, anyone? What was the pub we
> > went to (near Holborn I think) that didn't suck? (After going to the
> > one that did suck.)

> The Shakespeare's Head.  Just south on Kingsway from Holborn tube station.

Signup page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/London#Informal_socials

7pm, Wed 5th Dec. See some of you there!

[cc'd to wikien-l - those of you on wikien-l who are in the UK really
should be on wikimediauk-l. Low traffic, high signal.]

- d.

Re: [WikiEN-l] Quick London meet with Sue Gardner - Wed 5th Dec

Andrew Gray

> On 29/11/2007, Abigail Brady <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Nov 29, 2007 4:42 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > > Sue's in town next week. Wednesday 5th, anyone? What was the pub we
> > > went to (near Holborn I think) that didn't suck? (After going to the
> > > one that did suck.)
>
> > The Shakespeare's Head.  Just south on Kingsway from Holborn tube station.
>

> Signup page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/London#Informal_socials
>
> 7pm, Wed 5th Dec. See some of you there!

7pm? Should be able to make that, or a little later...

--
- Andrew Gray

Re: Quick London meet with Sue Gardner - Wed 5th Dec

Jimmy Wales
There's a wiki-wednesday thing too, right?  I think I may turn up at that...

On 01/12/2007, Jimmy Wales <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There's a wiki-wednesday thing too, right?  I think I may turn up at that...

Er what? ARGH. You're in town too? So it appears.

ARGH ETC. I expect we should put both of you in the same place then.
Shall we cancel the pub and go to WikiWednesday?

- d.

Re: Quick London meet with Sue Gardner - Wed 5th Dec

Andrew Gray
> On 01/12/2007, Jimmy Wales <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > There's a wiki-wednesday thing too, right?  I think I may turn up at that...
>

> Er what? ARGH. You're in town too? So it appears.
>
> ARGH ETC. I expect we should put both of you in the same place then.
> Shall we cancel the pub and go to WikiWednesday?

There doesn't seem to be a defined location or the like yet:

http://www.eu.socialtext.net/wikiwed/index.cgi?london

http://londonwikiwed.ning.com/

I wouldn't cancel until we know quite what's going to replace it! Now
to see if I need to persuade my boss to let me out early...

--
- Andrew Gray

On 01/12/2007, Andrew Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 01/12/2007, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 01/12/2007, Jimmy Wales <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > There's a wiki-wednesday thing too, right?  I think I may turn up at that...

> > Er what? ARGH. You're in town too? So it appears.
> > ARGH ETC. I expect we should put both of you in the same place then.
> > Shall we cancel the pub and go to WikiWednesday?

> There doesn't seem to be a defined location or the like yet:
> http://www.eu.socialtext.net/wikiwed/index.cgi?london
> http://londonwikiwed.ning.com/
> I wouldn't cancel until we know quite what's going to replace it! Now
> to see if I need to persuade my boss to let me out early...

Let's see if we can't get them to come down the pub ;-)

Gordon - you're on the WikiWednesday Facebook - do you know if this
Wednesday's got a venue yet?

- d.

Re: Quick London meet with Sue Gardner - Wed 5th Dec

Gordon Joly
At 23:14 +0000 1/12/07, Andrew Gray wrote:

>On 01/12/2007, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>  On 01/12/2007, Jimmy Wales <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>  > There's a wiki-wednesday thing too, right?  I think I may turn
>>up at that...
>>

>>  Er what? ARGH. You're in town too? So it appears.
>>
>>  ARGH ETC. I expect we should put both of you in the same place then.
>>  Shall we cancel the pub and go to WikiWednesday?
>
>There doesn't seem to be a defined location or the like yet:
>
>http://www.eu.socialtext.net/wikiwed/index.cgi?london
>
>http://londonwikiwed.ning.com/
>
>I wouldn't cancel until we know quite what's going to replace it! Now
>to see if I need to persuade my boss to let me out early...
>
>--
>- Andrew Gray
>   [hidden email]

Jimmy Wales, at a location near Moorgate - details to be confirmed!!

Yes David, the venue is confirmed and agreed. I am just waiting for
David Terrar to re-confirm.

I have already suggested that Sue is invited along, perhaps as a speaker?

Gordon

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/

Re: Quick London meet with Sue Gardner - Wed 5th Dec

Gordon Joly

>There doesn't seem to be a defined location or the like yet:
>
>http://www.eu.socialtext.net/wikiwed/index.cgi?london
>
>http://londonwikiwed.ning.com/

Did I mention free beer and free pizza?

Gordon

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/

Re: Quick London meet with Sue Gardner - Wed 5th Dec

Gordon Joly

>There doesn't seem to be a defined location or the like yet:
>
>http://www.eu.socialtext.net/wikiwed/index.cgi?london

Venue confirmed: NYK Shipping.

Sign up required on the webpage (linked from above URI).

Gordon

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/

A personal apology, and some planning information

Jimmy Wales

I fell ill with the flu and just could not pull myself together to make
it to wikiwednesday, and on top of that I really didn't end up meeting
with any wikipedians at all while I was in town.  This is tragic.

I will be back!

http://www.tot2008.com/

1st April 2008.

I intend to spend about a week in London at that time.

Maybe more, I dunno.

--Jimbo

Re: A personal apology, and some planning information

David Gerard-2
On 08/12/2007, Jimmy Wales <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I fell ill with the flu and just could not pull myself together to make
> it to wikiwednesday, and on top of that I really didn't end up meeting
> with any wikipedians at all while I was in town.  This is tragic.

For the WikiWednesday, Alison did a covering talk then Sue showed up
right at the end of her bit to do a talk herself. It was pretty good
:-) Talking about how Wikipedia/Wikimedia works, what a tiny and
underresourced organisation WMF is and to give us money. I said "and
please give us money" enough times, I think.

(Magnus Manske came down from Cambridge and I found out why
MediaWiki's written in PHP. See, Nupedia was written in PHP, Magnus
learnt PHP to patch the code, UseMod was getting limiting so Magnus
wrote a new wiki script to learn PHP in ... *shudder* Like building a
skyscraper from Lego and gaffer tape. And now we live in it.)

- d.

At 09:39 +0000 9/12/07, David Gerard wrote:

>(Magnus Manske came down from Cambridge and I found out why
>MediaWiki's written in PHP. See, Nupedia was written in PHP, Magnus
>learnt PHP to patch the code, UseMod was getting limiting so Magnus
>wrote a new wiki script to learn PHP in ... *shudder* Like building a
>skyscraper from Lego and gaffer tape. And now we live in it.)

And then somebody said - we can use this for Wikimedia Commons!

Gordo

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/

Re: A personal apology, and some planning information

Magnus Manske-2
On Dec 9, 2007 7:34 PM, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> wrote:
> At 09:39 +0000 9/12/07, David Gerard wrote:
> >
> >(Magnus Manske came down from Cambridge and I found out why
> >MediaWiki's written in PHP. See, Nupedia was written in PHP, Magnus
> >learnt PHP to patch the code, UseMod was getting limiting so Magnus
> >wrote a new wiki script to learn PHP in ... *shudder* Like building a
> >skyscraper from Lego and gaffer tape. And now we live in it.)

Aahhhh... good ol' times...

> And then somebody said - we can use this for Wikimedia Commons!

Well, now you're just pulling my leg.

Oh wait...

Magnus

Re: A personal apology, and some planning information

Gordon Joly

>>  And then somebody said - we can use this for Wikimedia Commons!
>
>Well, now you're just pulling my leg.
>
>Oh wait...
>
>Magnus

Pull the other one?