RFC Discussion Wednesday - new namespace for collaborative judgments about wiki entities

RFC Discussion Wednesday - new namespace for collaborative judgments about wiki entities

Kate Chapman
Hi All,

A reminder that TechCom is hosting a RFC discussion via IRC on
Wednesday. Introduce a new namespace for collaborative judgments about
wiki entities <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T200297>

This meeting is to discuss the use of JADE to record the judgments and
discuss concerns related to this approach.

The meeting is scheduled for 22 August at 2pm PST(21:00 UTC, 23:00 CET)
in #wikimedia-office
If you haven't joined a #wikimediaoffice meeting before more information
can be found here:
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC_office_hours#How_to_participate>

More information regarding the TechCom RFC process is available here:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Technical_Committee/Processes#RFC_process

Thanks,

Kate
--
Kate Chapman TechCom Facilitator (Contractor)

Re: RFC Discussion Wednesday - new namespace for collaborative judgments about wiki entities

Daniel Kinzler-2
While preparing for this meeting, I came across this table which is burried in
the task description:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1y7CPeAFpjOO-FTXLhp9qfO3lx6-OsaroCMNSNJMUFqc/edit#gid=0

This is a decision matrix exploring some alternatives to the current proposal.
If you are interested in the upcoming discussion, perhaps have a look at this as
well.

--
Daniel Kinzler
Principal Platform Engineer

Wikimedia Deutschland
Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.V.

Re: RFC Discussion Wednesday - new namespace for collaborative judgments about wiki entities

Ryan Kaldari-2
It should also be noted that there are some existing stop-gap
implementations for specific use-cases that could effectively be replaced
by JADE such as the PageAssessments extension
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:PageAssessments>, the page tags
system in the PageTriage extension
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:PageTriage>, and ORES' existing
database storage.

On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 12:11 PM Daniel Kinzler <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> While preparing for this meeting, I came across this table which is
> burried in
> the task description:
>

> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1y7CPeAFpjOO-FTXLhp9qfO3lx6-OsaroCMNSNJMUFqc/edit#gid=0
>
> This is a decision matrix exploring some alternatives to the current
> proposal.
> If you are interested in the upcoming discussion, perhaps have a look at
> this as
> well.
>
> Am 20.08.2018 um 23:46 schrieb Kate Chapman:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > A reminder that TechCom is hosting a RFC discussion via IRC on
> > Wednesday. Introduce a new namespace for collaborative judgments about
> > wiki entities <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T200297>
> >
> > This meeting is to discuss the use of JADE to record the judgments and
> > discuss concerns related to this approach.
> >
> > The meeting is scheduled for 22 August at 2pm PST(21:00 UTC, 23:00 CET)
> > in #wikimedia-office
> > If you haven't joined a #wikimediaoffice meeting before more information
> > can be found here:
> > <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC_office_hours#How_to_participate>
> >
> > More information regarding the TechCom RFC process is available here:
> >
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Technical_Committee/Processes#RFC_process
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Kate
> >

> --
> Daniel Kinzler
> Principal Platform Engineer
>
> Wikimedia Deutschland
> Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.V.

Re: RFC Discussion Wednesday - new namespace for collaborative judgments about wiki entities

Adam Wight-2
On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 12:54 PM Ryan Kaldari <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> It should also be noted that there are some existing stop-gap
> implementations for specific use-cases that could effectively be replaced
> by JADE such as the PageAssessments extension
> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:PageAssessments>, the page tags
> system in the PageTriage extension
> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:PageTriage>

Hi, thanks for pointing this out!  Here are the workflows we've identified
so far, and how JADE might affect them in the long-term:

* Huggle: JADE as a communication backend to indicate which pages have been
patrolled, what the damaging/not-damaging conclusion was, and any comments
the patrollers might leave.
* Recent changes patrol: Similar to Huggle.
* New pages patrol: Storage for sharing draftquality and draft topic data.
* Articles for creation: Similar to NPP.
* en:WP:RATER: Shared storage for articlequality data.
* FlaggedRevs: Similar to patrolling.
* PageTriage: Similar to patrolling.
* Wiki Labels: "blind", write-only store for labelers
* ORES training: high-quality data source for human-labeled observations.

> and ORES' existing database storage.

This last one is not a good fit, actually.  The ores_* tables and service
are optimized for bot requirements, for example we'll need to mass purge
all scores produced by an old model when an update is deployed.  These
scores should all be regenerated using the new model.  We're planning to
leave the ORES runtime architecture almost untouched, with one large
exception: JADE data will be provided in parallel, so a request for "all
scores on revision 123456" will give ORES scores and JADE data, and we'll
recommend that the client prefer JADE data since we expect it to be higher
quality.

-Adam

Re: RFC Discussion Wednesday - new namespace for collaborative judgments about wiki entities

Stas Malyshev
Hi!

> Hi, thanks for pointing this out!  Here are the workflows we've identified
> so far, and how JADE might affect them in the long-term:

On a cursory look, there's also some affinity between this and what
Wikibase Quality Constraints extension is doing. Though this data is not
human generated but automatic, but still this is quality-related data
which is linked to page content (and different for each revision AFAIU).
Currently if I understand right it has its own storage.

--
Stas Malyshev