RSS Feed on Category

Verhoeven, Peter
Hi,

It is possible to subscribe to a RSS Feed Recent Changes and New Pages.
Is there also a way to add RSS Feeds for Recent Changes and New Pages
within a specific category?

Regards Peter Verhoeven

This message and attachment(s) are intended solely for use by the addressee and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law.

If you are not the intended recipient or agent thereof responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone and with a 'reply' message.

Thank you for your co-operation.

Re: RSS Feed on Category

Brianna Laugher
2009/8/31 Verhoeven, Peter <[hidden email]>:
> Hi,
>
> It is possible to subscribe to a RSS Feed Recent Changes and New Pages.
> Is there also a way to add RSS Feeds for Recent Changes and New Pages
> within a specific category?

Hi,

AFAIK there is no way to do either of these things with MediaWiki by
itself. However, there is a toolserver tool that does something a bit
similar.

"Catfood" by Magnus Manske http://toolserver.org/~magnus/catfood.php
creates a feed for pages added to a category. Note this is a bit
different to "new pages": the pages could have existed for a long
time, but only recently be added to a category.

e.g.
Feed of images added to the Featured Pictures category on Commons:
http://toolserver.org/~magnus/catfood.php?category=Featured_pictures_on_Wikimedia_Commons

Feed of articles added to the Linguistics category on simple.wikipedia:
http://toolserver.org/~magnus/catfood.php?language=simple&project=wikipedia&category=Linguistics&depth=0&namespace=0&user=&size=300&last=10&doit=Do+it
(it seemed to be choking a bit on en.wikipedia, but in theory that
should also work)

Catfood is open source, and I think it wouldn't be difficult to adapt
it for your wiki. You can then use JavaScript to insert an automatic
link into the toolbox for category pages. (Like
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Screenshot_of_JavaScript_Catfood.png
- follow the links from here)

Re recent changes to a category, from what I understand, this won't
exist any time soon. A hacky solution might be:
* create a page that contains a link to every page in a category
* have a bot update the page every so often
* Use the RelatedChanges feed for that page.

cheers
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/

Re: RSS Feed on Category

Lane, Ryan
> It is possible to subscribe to a RSS Feed Recent Changes and
> New Pages.
> Is there also a way to add RSS Feeds for Recent Changes and New Pages
> within a specific category?

I can think of a couple of ways you can do this for new pages. Both are a
little overkill:

1. Use DynamicPageList[1], and wrap the output using WikiArticleFeeds[2]
2. Use Semantic Mediawiki[3], and query on modification date with an output
format of rss

[1] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:DynamicPageList
[2] http://jimbojw.com/wiki/index.php?title=WikiArticleFeeds
[3] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Semantic_MediaWiki

V/r,

Ryan Lane

Re: RSS Feed on Category

Matthias Korn-5
If I understand you correctly this is what the News extension can do,
though you have to provide the categories manually.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:News

Best,
Matthias

Am Mon, 31 Aug 2009 14:09:53 +0200
schrieb "Verhoeven, Peter" <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> It is possible to subscribe to a RSS Feed Recent Changes and New
> Pages. Is there also a way to add RSS Feeds for Recent Changes and
> New Pages within a specific category?
>
> Regards Peter Verhoeven

Rock in China
http://wiki.rockinchina.com/