RSS feed in Ta Wikinews

Sri Sritharan-2
Hello

I'm Kanags, sysop in Tamil Wikinews. I need some help in RSS feeds.

How can we include a short description of each news item (like in English wikinews) in the feed?

We would like to have one such feature in our Tamil Wikinews.

Any suggestion is much appreciated.

Thanks
Sri Sritharan (Kanags)

Re: RSS feed in Ta Wikinews

bawolff
Hi. Currently the english wikinews feed uses a somewhat complicated
process. There's a bot that pulls articles from
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/T:LN into
http://thenewswiki.com/wn/wnfeed.xml which is then fed into the
feedburner feed. (From their the feedburner feed is syndicated into
twitter facebook and identica).

Craig Spurrier is the one who maintains the bot, so he would be the one to ask.

cheers
--
- Bawolff
Caution: The mass of this product contains the energy equivalent of 85

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 9:24 PM, Sri Sritharan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I'm Kanags, sysop in Tamil Wikinews. I need some help in RSS feeds.
>
> How can we include a short description of each news item (like in English
> wikinews) in the feed?
>
> http://feeds.feedburner.com/LatestTamilWikinews
>
> We would like to have one such feature in our Tamil Wikinews.
>
> Any suggestion is much appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Sri Sritharan (Kanags)

Re: RSS feed in Ta Wikinews

Jon Davis-5
We really should lift that from Craig and get it on the toolserver... or a server.

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 19:11, bawolff <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi. Currently the english wikinews feed uses a somewhat complicated
process. There's a bot that pulls articles from
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/T:LN into
http://thenewswiki.com/wn/wnfeed.xml which is then fed into the
feedburner feed. (From their the feedburner feed is syndicated into
twitter facebook and identica).

Craig Spurrier is the one who maintains the bot, so he would be the one to ask.

cheers
--
- Bawolff
Caution: The mass of this product contains the energy equivalent of 85
million tons of TNT per net ounce of weight.

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 9:24 PM, Sri Sritharan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm Kanags, sysop in Tamil Wikinews. I need some help in RSS feeds.
>
> How can we include a short description of each news item (like in English
> wikinews) in the feed?
>
> http://feeds.feedburner.com/LatestTamilWikinews
>
> We would like to have one such feature in our Tamil Wikinews.
>
> Any suggestion is much appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Sri Sritharan (Kanags)

Jon
[[User:ShakataGaNai]]
http://snowulf.com/ - Blog
http://snowulf.imagekind.com/ - Pictures
This has been a test of the emergency sig system.

Re: RSS feed in Ta Wikinews

Sri Sritharan-2
I have another question on feed.

In our Tamil wikinews feed, the link at the left hand top corner points to a broken link (points to tools.wikimedia.org, which does not exist).

How can I change it to point to ta.wikinews.org?

Thanks
Sritharan (Kanags)

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Jon Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:
We really should lift that from Craig and get it on the toolserver... or a server.

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 19:11, bawolff <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi. Currently the english wikinews feed uses a somewhat complicated
process. There's a bot that pulls articles from
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/T:LN into
http://thenewswiki.com/wn/wnfeed.xml which is then fed into the
feedburner feed. (From their the feedburner feed is syndicated into
twitter facebook and identica).

Craig Spurrier is the one who maintains the bot, so he would be the one to ask.

cheers
--
- Bawolff
Caution: The mass of this product contains the energy equivalent of 85
million tons of TNT per net ounce of weight.

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 9:24 PM, Sri Sritharan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm Kanags, sysop in Tamil Wikinews. I need some help in RSS feeds.
>
> How can we include a short description of each news item (like in English
> wikinews) in the feed?
>
> http://feeds.feedburner.com/LatestTamilWikinews
>
> We would like to have one such feature in our Tamil Wikinews.
>
> Any suggestion is much appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Sri Sritharan (Kanags)

Jon
[[User:ShakataGaNai]]
http://snowulf.com/ - Blog
http://snowulf.imagekind.com/ - Pictures
This has been a test of the emergency sig system.

anbudan
Sritharan
http://kanaga_sritharan.tripod.com
http://srinoolakam.blogspot.com

Re: RSS feed in Ta Wikinews

bawolff
CSpurrier's tool needs to be modified. Link should not be broken
though, it just goes to the feed itself, which is not where it should
go. (It should go to the main page of project in question, or be
configurable)
 (Theres the potential a broken feed reader may not recognize entity
references in url, but url itself is fine).

You are aware that the feed is using english category names, with an
english description, and ordering by last edit?
(Specificly you are using a feed with the following parameters: Get 20
articles from tamil language wikinews in category Published and not in
Category:Disputed Category:No_publish or Category:Brief, ordered by
last touch (aka last edit, or last time cache was flushed, etc) sorted
by oldest edit first, with the title of the feed set to "Latest in
Tamil Wikinews", and the description of the feed set to "Wikinews, the
free news source you can write. For more information, or to see all
stories, visit http://ta.wikinews.org" )

(Normally you'd want to order by the date the article was "published"
(aka the date the article was added to the tamil equivalent to
category:Published), not the last edit date. Otherwise if someone
edits the article a year after it was written, the edit date (last
touched date actually, things other then edits [like ?action=purge]
can reset this) would reset the date. This is probably not what you
want. Also, considering this is a feed for the tamil language, one
would think that you would want to use the translation of the word
publish for the category, not the english word. Similiarly you would
not want to exclude categories which probably do not exist on tamil
wikinews. Last of all, you definitly would not want to order them
ascending (oldest articles first). Normally feeds show latest news,
not oldest news.

Also If you plan to directly use the toolserver feed, it might be best
to link to the toolserver instead of feedburner.
--

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 3:53 AM, Sri Sritharan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have another question on feed.
>
> In our Tamil wikinews feed, the link at the left hand top corner points to a
> broken link (points to tools.wikimedia.org, which does not exist).
>
> How can I change it to point to ta.wikinews.org?
>
> http://feeds.feedburner.com/LatestTamilWikinews
>
> Thanks
> Sritharan (Kanags)
>
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Jon Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> We really should lift that from Craig and get it on the toolserver... or a
>> server.
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 19:11, bawolff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi. Currently the english wikinews feed uses a somewhat complicated
>>> process. There's a bot that pulls articles from
>>> http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/T:LN into
>>> http://thenewswiki.com/wn/wnfeed.xml which is then fed into the
>>> feedburner feed. (From their the feedburner feed is syndicated into
>>> twitter facebook and identica).
>>>
>>> Craig Spurrier is the one who maintains the bot, so he would be the one
>>> to ask.
>>>
>>> cheers
>>> --
>>> - Bawolff
>>> Caution: The mass of this product contains the energy equivalent of 85
>>> million tons of TNT per net ounce of weight.

>> --
>> Jon
>> [[User:ShakataGaNai]]
>> http://snowulf.com/ - Blog
>> http://snowulf.imagekind.com/ - Pictures
>> This has been a test of the emergency sig system.

> anbudan
> Sritharan
> http://kanaga_sritharan.tripod.com
> http://srinoolakam.blogspot.com

Re: RSS feed in Ta Wikinews

Craig Spurrier
At the moment, the toolserver based RSS feed does not support category
names in other scripts. It should be able to handle other scripts for
the tile and description though. Getting this fixed is fairly high on my
priority list, so hopeful English categories will only be temporary.
-Craig

bawolff wrote:

> CSpurrier's tool needs to be modified. Link should not be broken
> though, it just goes to the feed itself, which is not where it should
> go. (It should go to the main page of project in question, or be
> configurable)
>  (Theres the potential a broken feed reader may not recognize entity
> references in url, but url itself is fine).
>
> You are aware that the feed is using english category names, with an
> english description, and ordering by last edit?
> (Specificly you are using a feed with the following parameters: Get 20
> articles from tamil language wikinews in category Published and not in
> Category:Disputed Category:No_publish or Category:Brief, ordered by
> last touch (aka last edit, or last time cache was flushed, etc) sorted
> by oldest edit first, with the title of the feed set to "Latest in
> Tamil Wikinews", and the description of the feed set to "Wikinews, the
> free news source you can write. For more information, or to see all
> stories, visit http://ta.wikinews.org" )
>
> (Normally you'd want to order by the date the article was "published"
> (aka the date the article was added to the tamil equivalent to
> category:Published), not the last edit date. Otherwise if someone
> edits the article a year after it was written, the edit date (last
> touched date actually, things other then edits [like ?action=purge]
> can reset this) would reset the date. This is probably not what you
> want. Also, considering this is a feed for the tamil language, one
> would think that you would want to use the translation of the word
> publish for the category, not the english word. Similiarly you would
> not want to exclude categories which probably do not exist on tamil
> wikinews. Last of all, you definitly would not want to order them
> ascending (oldest articles first). Normally feeds show latest news,
> not oldest news.
>

> Also If you plan to directly use the toolserver feed, it might be best
> to link to the toolserver instead of feedburner.
> --
> - Bawolff
> Caution: The mass of this product contains the energy equivalent of 85
> million tons of TNT per net ounce of weight.

Re: RSS feed in Ta Wikinews

Sri Sritharan-2
Dear Craig & Bawolff

Thank you for your help in this matter. I've changed the (CSpurrier's) tool to (simple) default.

I'll wait till Craig fix his tool to point the link to the first page of the ta.wikinews.org.

Thanks for the help.
Regards
Sritharan (Kanags)

bawolff wrote:
> CSpurrier's tool needs to be modified. Link should not be broken
> though, it just goes to the feed itself, which is not where it should
> go. (It should go to the main page of project in question, or be
> configurable)
>  (Theres the potential a broken feed reader may not recognize entity
> references in url, but url itself is fine).
>
> You are aware that the feed is using english category names, with an
> english description, and ordering by last edit?
> (Specificly you are using a feed with the following parameters: Get 20
> articles from tamil language wikinews in category Published and not in
> Category:Disputed Category:No_publish or Category:Brief, ordered by
> last touch (aka last edit, or last time cache was flushed, etc) sorted
> by oldest edit first, with the title of the feed set to "Latest in
> Tamil Wikinews", and the description of the feed set to "Wikinews, the
> free news source you can write. For more information, or to see all
> stories, visit http://ta.wikinews.org" )
>
> (Normally you'd want to order by the date the article was "published"
> (aka the date the article was added to the tamil equivalent to
> category:Published), not the last edit date. Otherwise if someone
> edits the article a year after it was written, the edit date (last
> touched date actually, things other then edits [like ?action=purge]
> can reset this) would reset the date. This is probably not what you
> want. Also, considering this is a feed for the tamil language, one
> would think that you would want to use the translation of the word
> publish for the category, not the english word. Similiarly you would
> not want to exclude categories which probably do not exist on tamil
> wikinews. Last of all, you definitly would not want to order them
> ascending (oldest articles first). Normally feeds show latest news,
> not oldest news.
>

> Also If you plan to directly use the toolserver feed, it might be best
> to link to the toolserver instead of feedburner.
> --
> - Bawolff
> Caution: The mass of this product contains the energy equivalent of 85
> million tons of TNT per net ounce of weight.

Re: RSS feed in Ta Wikinews

bawolff
I think Craig is mistaken on lack of support for non-en scripts.

http://toolserver.org/~cspurrier/rss/rss.php?lang=ta&family=wikinews&categories=%E0%AE%86%E0%AE%AA%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%AA%E0%AE%BF%E0%AE%B0%E0%AE%BF%E0%AE%95%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%95%E0%AE%BE&limit=25&title=Latest+in+Tamil+Wikinews

Appears to be supporting using Category:ஆப்பிரிக்கா

Just make sure the url values are properly urlencoded.

--

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 8:26 PM, Sri Sritharan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> > can reset this) would reset the date. This is probably not what you
>> > want. Also, considering this is a feed for the tamil language, one
>> > would think that you would want to use the translation of the word
>> > publish for the category, not the english word. Similiarly you would
>> > not want to exclude categories which probably do not exist on tamil
>> > wikinews. Last of all, you definitly would not want to order them
>> > ascending (oldest articles first). Normally feeds show latest news,
>> > not oldest news.
>> >

>> > Also If you plan to directly use the toolserver feed, it might be best
>> > to link to the toolserver instead of feedburner.
>> > --
>> > - Bawolff
>> > Caution: The mass of this product contains the energy equivalent of 85
>> > million tons of TNT per net ounce of weight.

Dear Bawolff

Yes you are correct. The url values should be urlencoded. Now it's working fine.

Still i'm awaiting an answer for my initial question. Why the link in the feed points to http://tools.wikimedia.org . It must point to ta.wikinews.org

Thanks
sri (Kanags)