Radio Wales interview as ogg

David Gerard-2
For those who missed it, I've put my segment up:

http://static.rocknerd.org/david/radiowales-q0-mono.ogg

Ogg Vorbis, 2,311,827 bytes.

- d.

Re: Radio Wales interview as ogg

David Gerard
David Gerard ([hidden email]) [060323 12:16]:

> For those who missed it, I've put my segment up:
> http://static.rocknerd.org/david/radiowales-q0-mono.ogg
> Ogg Vorbis, 2,311,827 bytes.

Apparently there's no mailing list for cy:. But I chatted with Telsa on IRC
about this a coupla nights ago and she says she'll shop the URL around the
Welsh Nationalist-inclined bloggers, which may help recruitment for cy:.

Telsa also says the big problem with cy: is that it's really badly written
for the most part ... basically, that it needs some native speakers who are
good writers to give it a top-to-bottom revision and set the standard.
Which is actually quite feasible with 4,000 articles, if the editors can be
found. I know no Welsh myself or I'd dive in ...

- d.

Re: Radio Wales interview as ogg

Jimmy Wales

I recommend to contact Suw Charman.  She's knows some Welsh, is in
contact with the Welsh community, is a big fan of Wikipedia, and the
head of Open Rights Group in London.  Someone the UK chapter should
know, for sure.

David Gerard wrote:

> David Gerard ([hidden email]) [060323 12:16]:
>

>>For those who missed it, I've put my segment up:
>>http://static.rocknerd.org/david/radiowales-q0-mono.ogg
>>Ogg Vorbis, 2,311,827 bytes.
>

> Apparently there's no mailing list for cy:. But I chatted with Telsa on IRC
> about this a coupla nights ago and she says she'll shop the URL around the
> Welsh Nationalist-inclined bloggers, which may help recruitment for cy:.
>
> Telsa also says the big problem with cy: is that it's really badly written
> for the most part ... basically, that it needs some native speakers who are
> good writers to give it a top-to-bottom revision and set the standard.
> Which is actually quite feasible with 4,000 articles, if the editors can be
> found. I know no Welsh myself or I'd dive in ...
>

> - d.

jwales.vcf (286 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Radio Wales interview as ogg

Gordon Joly
At 10:15 -0800 24/3/06, Jimmy Wales wrote:
>I recommend to contact Suw Charman.  She's knows some Welsh, is in
>contact with the Welsh community, is a big fan of Wikipedia, and the
>head of Open Rights Group in London.  Someone the UK chapter should
>know, for sure.

Dear Nascent Wikimedia UK,

Is anybody who

a) lives in Wales

b) speaks Welsh

c) both

reading this?

Gordo

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/

Re: Radio Wales interview as ogg

Sam Korn
On 3/24/06, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is anybody who
>
> a) lives in Wales
>
> b) speaks Welsh
>
> c) both
>
> reading this?

a) Yes.

                              b) No. (well, two or three words, but
road signs aren't greatly helpful).

Happy to be of service however and whenever.

--
Sam

Re: Radio Wales interview as ogg

Arkady Rose-2
Gordon Joly wrote:

> a) lives in Wales
>
> b) speaks Welsh
>
> c) both
>
> reading this?
No to (a), but my daughters are which is why I am working on (b) myself.
 I've recommended to both of them plus their step-mother that they get
involved with cy: and I intend to myself as my Welsh gets up to scratch.
They live in Carmarthenshire where everyne is *very* Welsh indeed and
you'll hear Welsh spoken as a first language with English very much
second, so knowing Welsh is a must.

-a

Re: Radio Wales interview as ogg

Chris McKenna
On Sat, 25 Mar 2006, David Gerard wrote:

> Telsa also says the big problem with cy: is that it's really badly written
> for the most part ... basically, that it needs some native speakers who are
> good writers to give it a top-to-bottom revision and set the standard.
> Which is actually quite feasible with 4,000 articles, if the editors can be
> found. I know no Welsh myself or I'd dive in ...

I know a bit of Welsh, but I'm nowhere near fluent enough to even attempt
to write a bad article. This is something I hope to rectify, but living in
a part of England where the Welsh are disliked more than the French
opportunities are rare.

--
Chris 'Awkward' McKenna

[hidden email]
www.sucs.org/~cmckenna

but with the heart

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Re: Radio Wales interview as ogg

Gordon Joly

So there is nobody ready this who is a fluent Welsh speaker?

Gordo

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/

Re: Radio Wales interview as ogg

Gordon Joly

Is anybody in

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Welsh_Wikipedians

a fluent Welsh speaker?

Gordo

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006, Gordon Joly wrote:

> Is anybody in
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Welsh_Wikipedians
>
> a fluent Welsh speaker?
>
> Gordo

Based on user pages with babel templates:
User:CatatonicStupor in in category:User cy-3
User:GHThomas is apparently a native speaker
User:Gareth Wyn is as well (and also claims to be active on cy)
User:Lewisdg2000 also speaks Welsh natively
User:Ynysgrif lives in East Sussex but speaks Welsh natively

There is also, I've just discovered, a Welsh Wikipedians' Noticeboard -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Welsh_Wikipedians%27_notice_board

--
Chris 'Awkward' McKenna

[hidden email]
www.sucs.org/~cmckenna

but with the heart

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Re: Radio Wales interview as ogg

Telsa Gwynne
I must not IRC after midnight, because obviously I cannot communicate
properly then. (Then again, this is not limited to after midnight..)

Ar Sat, Mar 25, 2006 02:58:36AM +1100, ysgrifennodd David Gerard:

> Apparently there's no mailing list for cy:. But I chatted with Telsa on IRC
> about this a coupla nights ago and she says she'll shop the URL around the
> Welsh Nationalist-inclined bloggers, which may help recruitment for cy:.

Well, I said "Welsh language" rather than nationalist. I realise that
to some there's no difference, but...

> Telsa also says the big problem with cy: is that it's really badly written
> for the most part ... basically, that it needs some native speakers who are
> good writers to give it a top-to-bottom revision and set the standard.
> Which is actually quite feasible with 4,000 articles, if the editors can be
> found. I know no Welsh myself or I'd dive in ...

I nearly fainted when I saw that as "Telsa says". To clarify, I was
relaying the opinion of someone else, for whom Welsh is their first
language, who has seen cy: and who commented to me about it. I am in
no position to comment on other people's writing, and I know it.

Since I don't want half the Welsh-speaking online world thinking
I have the cheek to comment on their writing, I thought I'd better
make that clear.

Telsa

On 26/03/06, Telsa Gwynne <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I must not IRC after midnight, because obviously I cannot communicate
> properly then. (Then again, this is not limited to after midnight..)

7am isn't much better, really ...

> > Telsa also says the big problem with cy: is that it's really badly written

> I nearly fainted when I saw that as "Telsa says". To clarify, I was
> relaying the opinion of someone else, for whom Welsh is their first
> language, who has seen cy: and who commented to me about it. I am in
> no position to comment on other people's writing, and I know it.

*ahem* I have licensed Telsa to put as much blame for this as is
needed on me, and to add the sentence "also, David shags goats" if
it'll help.

> Since I don't want half the Welsh-speaking online world thinking
> I have the cheek to comment on their writing, I thought I'd better
> make that clear.

It wouldn't be the finest in public relations either, really ...

"It's wonderful it's reached 4000 articles. It will be EVEN BETTER if
we can find good writers of clear encyclopaedic Welsh prose to MAKE IT
EVEN BETTER and set a great standard for the future. Yay!"

Perhaps take out the "yay!" Resist the urge to add any of
"incentivise", "proactive" or "synergy."

- d.