Raining in Cape Town

Romaine Wiki-2
Hi all,

An hour ago I arrived in Cape Town, in the rain!
People with happy faces in the rain.

Even while it is dark here, the Table Mountain in full dark is extremely beautiful thanks to the clouds behind it.

The staff of the hotel is exited for all you to come next week!

Welcome all to South Africa!

Greetings,

Romaine

Re: Raining in Cape Town

Mina Theofilatou-2
Hello Romaine!

Rain is not a problem... when there are happy faces :)

I will be packing tomorrow and I was wondering whether I will be needing my heavy winter jacket, or whether a lighter one will do... is it just rainy, or also cold and windy?

Looking forward to seeing everyone again. I will be there on the 16th around noon, if there are any casual meet-ups for the evening I will be happy to be there :)

Best,
Mina (Greece)

On Fri, 13 Jul 2018, 23:24 Romaine Wiki, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

An hour ago I arrived in Cape Town, in the rain!
People with happy faces in the rain.

Even while it is dark here, the Table Mountain in full dark is extremely beautiful thanks to the clouds behind it.

The staff of the hotel is exited for all you to come next week!

Welcome all to South Africa!

Greetings,

Romaine

Re: Raining in Cape Town

Charlie Kritschmar
I'm here already as well and the weather is beautiful so far!

If anyone who's here already is interested in exploring the city together for a few hours Sundau or Tuesday, give me a shout.

Looking forward to the conference and meeting you all soon \o/

Best
Charlie

On 14 Jul 2018 00:10, "Mina Theofilatou" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Mina,

Depends on what you plan to do. In the city it is a reasonable temperature and a lighter jacket will do. But on top of Table Mountain it was very cold and very windy today.

Casual meetups certainly take place every evening at the bar of the Southern Sun Cape Sun hotel. I can buy you a drink if you come there.

Romaine

[...]

Andy Mabbett-2
How did you get to Table Mountain from the city centre?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

On Sat, 14 Jul 2018 18:49 Romaine Wiki, <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Kerry Raymond
Here are the options

https://www.tablemountain.net/content/page/getting-here

Sent from my iPad

On 14 Jul 2018, at 8:21 pm, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Ciell Wikipedia
Taxis are a few dollars for a ride around town departing the Cape Sun Hotel, most trustworthy is Unioncab. But at the hotel they'll gladly book for you.
Uber is cheaper yes, but has a bit of a reputation.
The hop on/hop of bus goes to the cable carts off Table Mountain as well, but I've heard that they only go untill next Sunday the 22nd.

Vriendelijke groet,
Ciell

[...]

Hi Andy,

I took the CitySightseeing tour as it took me also to other interesting places I wanted to see and to have an overview of the city. It brings you directly to the lower station of the cable car.
Besides the clouded mountain I especially enjoyed the beach with rushing waves.

Romaine

[...]

Cable car, Was: Raining in Cape Town

Kerry Raymond

Yes, the cable car is closed for annual maintenance from Mon 23 July to 5 August, so do not delay your visit until after Wikimania.

Kerry

Sent from my iPad

On 14 Jul 2018, at 9:55 pm, Romaine Wiki <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Re: Cable car, Was: Raining in Cape Town

Andy Mabbett-2
I'm at the cable car now and the queues are over an hour long. Return trip is 293 Rand.

Bus 107 from civic centre runs every 30 minutes today. 30 Rand each way for single tickets, pay at kiosk before boarding

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing