Raising funds without being quite so annoying to readers

Raising funds without being quite so annoying to readers

WereSpielChequers-2
Picking up on the comment by Tobias about less intrusive fundraising,
I would make sure we are pursuing the following:

1 Build up a past donors database, communicate with them effectively
and then as long as they donate annually make sure they aren't
irritated by ads for people who haven't donated at all. (I gather
something is now being done here, but I know it wasn't in the past).

2 Get tax deductible/refunded status in as many countries as feasible.
Especially countries like the UK where the tax is refunded to the
charity rather than the donor. (I know the UK chapter is working on
this, and that it isn't easy here, but there are probably other
countries with similar systems where we may not even have started).

3 Ramp up Merchandising. Unlike almost any charity I can think of we
can offer Xmas gifts for every taste, including for dads. Middle aged
men are notoriously difficult to buy presents for, we are one of the
few charities that could market calenders, mugs or mousemats suitable
for fans of milhist, wrestling, NASCAR or indeed flowers, waterfalls
and scientific elements. This is a real opportunity for the
fundraising team to work with the Featured content crowd and the
wikiprojects. It could also make a serious contribution to my annual
Xmas present buying headaches.

4 Use IP location to not put up ads in countries where we are unable
to accept donations in the local currency.

Most of the charities I've worked with in the past have not actually
made money on the first donation they get from a new donor, generally
it costs more to recruit a new donor than they give in the first
donation. The real income stream is from repeat donations in future
years and from merchandising. Wikimedia is in the amazing position
that it can get new donors for less than the cost of recruiting them.
However that is only true because the advertising that we do
internally is treated as free. In reality that advertising brings with
it a big overhead in terms of annoyance to both our volunteers and our
readers. I'm not suggesting that we put a monetary value on that
internal webspace, but I would suggest that we measure that annoyance
better and set some targets to minimise it. Money raised per ads
served would help, as would excluding IPs and users who've already
seen an ad and not responded. We might also consider not serving ads
on pages that are disproportionately viewed by minors

WereSpielChequers

> However the main point of mail was to discuss how we're going to raise
> funds without being annoying to readers, and I welcome any input from
> WMF staff, chapters and volunteers :-)
>
> -- Tobias

Re: Raising funds without being quite so annoying to readers

Thomas Dalton
On 5 March 2011 14:05, WereSpielChequers <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Picking up on the comment by Tobias about less intrusive fundraising,
> I would make sure we are pursuing the following:
>
> 1 Build up a past donors database, communicate with them effectively
> and then as long as they donate annually make sure they aren't
> irritated by ads for people who haven't donated at all. (I gather
> something is now being done here, but I know it wasn't in the past).

The first part is certainly being done. The second part is impossible.
How are we supposed to know if a reader has previously donated? All we
have is their IP address, which could very easily have changed since
they donated.

Re: Raising funds without being quite so annoying to readers

Neil Harris
On 05/03/11 14:05, WereSpielChequers wrote:
> Picking up on the comment by Tobias about less intrusive fundraising,
> I would make sure we are pursuing the following:
>
> 1 Build up a past donors database, communicate with them effectively
> and then as long as they donate annually make sure they aren't
> irritated by ads for people who haven't donated at all. (I gather
> something is now being done here, but I know it wasn't in the past).

And also, WMF should make it possible to accept continuing donations as
a subscription on a monthly basis.

For example, $5 a month feels much less painful than $60 once a year.
Continuing donations also don't require a decision to keep on giving --
the donations just continue until canceled.

Building up a base of continuing donors would be almost as good as
having an endowment, and would make financial planning much easier.

-- Neil

Re: Raising funds without being quite so annoying to readers

David Gerard-2
On 5 March 2011 14:19, Neil Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> And also, WMF should make it possible to accept continuing donations as
> a subscription on a monthly basis.

Even better, they should do this already!

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Monthly_donations/en

(a link from http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate with the words
"If you'd like to make an automatic monthly donation please click
here."

- d.

Re: Raising funds without being quite so annoying to readers

theo10011
WereSpielChequers, I believe we either tried or considered all those things
and more.

I think we established continuing donations sometime half-way through the
fundraiser, it mostly depends on the payment intermediaries- Philippe and
Megan really worked hard on getting it. From what I recall, Zack and the
rest of the team considered all those things and many more to reach out to
possible benefactors during the fundraiser. They didn't just consider money
raised per ad, but a whole host of metrics about every banner and every
minute detail.

Do bear in mind that there are a lot of legal limitation when dealing with
such an international user-base - things like merchandising are governed by
non-profit policies, internationalizing is another issue we have to
consider. The foundation is limited in that option and that is where the
chapters need to take the lead in establishing donation infrastructure in
their respective countries.

Theo

On 05/03/11 14:30, David Gerard wrote:

> On 5 March 2011 14:19, Neil Harris<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> And also, WMF should make it possible to accept continuing donations as
>> a subscription on a monthly basis.
>
> Even better, they should do this already!
>
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Monthly_donations/en
>
> (a link from http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate with the words
> "If you'd like to make an automatic monthly donation please click
> here."

Aaargh. How could I have missed that?

Can it be made public how many people have taken up that option, and
what the current monthly income is?

-- Neil