Random page titles as substitute for long page names?

Random page titles as substitute for long page names?

Josh King
Hi all,

Page titles within the main namespace of my wiki are generally filled with
literature titles, and thus tend to be unfortunately long. As a means of
avoiding this (as well as page collision issues), I was wondering if anyone
had any ideas on how to make the page URI be a random value (such as a
string of 8 random numbers)?

I admit this is somewhat a general mediawiki question, but I felt SMW would
be its best bet of resolution, as I could forsee some potential workarounds
by storing the page title itself in a property.

Thanks,
Josh

Re: Random page titles as substitute for long page names?

Christopher Wilson-3
I've got a semantic wiki that has a random-string generator for page titles
in a particular namespace.

I wound up doing the whole thing in javascript to pre-fill the "name" field
for the form that creates pages in that namespace.

On Sat, Nov 7, 2015 at 8:12 PM, Josh King <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Page titles within the main namespace of my wiki are generally filled with
> literature titles, and thus tend to be unfortunately long. As a means of
> avoiding this (as well as page collision issues), I was wondering if anyone
> had any ideas on how to make the page URI be a random value (such as a
> string of 8 random numbers)?
>
> I admit this is somewhat a general mediawiki question, but I felt SMW would
> be its best bet of resolution, as I could forsee some potential workarounds
> by storing the page title itself in a property.
>
> Thanks,
> Josh

Re: Random page titles as substitute for long page names?

Ad Strack van Schijndel
You should have look at https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Semantic_Forms/Linking_to_forms#The_one-step_process. That shows how to do that with SemanticForms.
Also you might be interested in the Semantic Title extension https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Semantic_Title that lets you have nice page title in combination with the numbered page name.

Ad

> Op 8 nov. 2015 om 06:04 heeft Christopher Wilson <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>
> I've got a semantic wiki that has a random-string generator for page titles
> in a particular namespace.
>
> I wound up doing the whole thing in javascript to pre-fill the "name" field
> for the form that creates pages in that namespace.
>
>> On Sat, Nov 7, 2015 at 8:12 PM, Josh King <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Page titles within the main namespace of my wiki are generally filled with
>> literature titles, and thus tend to be unfortunately long. As a means of
>> avoiding this (as well as page collision issues), I was wondering if anyone
>> had any ideas on how to make the page URI be a random value (such as a
>> string of 8 random numbers)?
>>
>> I admit this is somewhat a general mediawiki question, but I felt SMW would
>> be its best bet of resolution, as I could forsee some potential workarounds
>> by storing the page title itself in a property.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Josh

Re: Random page titles as substitute for long page names?

planetenxin
We are working on this [1]. Use the IDProvider parser functions in
combination with Semantic Forms to create random/UUID page names.
Recommended to use together with Semantic Title Extension [2].

[1] https://github.com/gesinn-it/IDProvider
[2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Semantic_Title

/Alexander

Am 08.11.2015 um 05:12 schrieb Josh King:

> Hi all,
>
> Page titles within the main namespace of my wiki are generally filled with
> literature titles, and thus tend to be unfortunately long. As a means of
> avoiding this (as well as page collision issues), I was wondering if anyone
> had any ideas on how to make the page URI be a random value (such as a
> string of 8 random numbers)?
>
> I admit this is somewhat a general mediawiki question, but I felt SMW would
> be its best bet of resolution, as I could forsee some potential workarounds
> by storing the page title itself in a property.
>
> Thanks,
> Josh

Re: Random page titles as substitute for long page names?

Fannon
Hi Josh,

we've just released the IDProvider extension as version 1.0. The
documentation is now available, too:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:IDProvider

It includes an example how to use it with Semantic Forms info tag, which is
most likely what you needed. If you don't want to add an additional
extension, you can also make use of the <unique number> feature as Ad
Strack van Schijndel already pointed out.

Best,
Simon

> Hi all,
>
> Page titles within the main namespace of my wiki are generally filled with
> literature titles, and thus tend to be unfortunately long. As a means of
> avoiding this (as well as page collision issues), I was wondering if anyone
> had any ideas on how to make the page URI be a random value (such as a
> string of 8 random numbers)?
>
> I admit this is somewhat a general mediawiki question, but I felt SMW would
> be its best bet of resolution, as I could forsee some potential workarounds
> by storing the page title itself in a property.
>
> Thanks,
> Josh

Re: Random page titles as substitute for long page names?

Josh King
Thank you all, and I apologize for the belated reply!

I believe Ad's suggestion of using the "one step" process of SF works well
enough for me as it allows me to pad the title with a unique number
automatically, and through the Semantic Title extension I can change the
display title throughout the wiki.

However, now I feel like I'm running into a problem. When attempting to
link to the form via the onestep process:

{{#formlink:form=FormName|link text=Create Summary|link type=button}}

for the form page "Form:FormName", the button created by the #formlink
parser just redirects me to my wiki's homepage. Meanwhile, #forminput works
fine.

I must be missing something silly here, and forgive me if so, but any ideas
on the issue?

Thanks for all the *amazing* support!
-Josh

On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 3:22 AM, Simon Heimler <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Josh,
>
> we've just released the IDProvider extension as version 1.0. The
> documentation is now available, too:
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:IDProvider
>
> It includes an example how to use it with Semantic Forms info tag, which
> is most likely what you needed. If you don't want to add an additional
> extension, you can also make use of the <unique number> feature as Ad
> Strack van Schijndel already pointed out.
>
> Best,
> Simon

>> Hi all,
>>
>> Page titles within the main namespace of my wiki are generally filled with
>> literature titles, and thus tend to be unfortunately long. As a means of
>> avoiding this (as well as page collision issues), I was wondering if
>> anyone
>> had any ideas on how to make the page URI be a random value (such as a
>> string of 8 random numbers)?
>>
>> I admit this is somewhat a general mediawiki question, but I felt SMW
>> would
>> be its best bet of resolution, as I could forsee some potential
>> workarounds
>> by storing the page title itself in a property.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Josh

Re: Random page titles as substitute for long page names?

Josh King
....aaaaand nevermind! Apparently changing the link type from "button" to
"post button" resolved the issue. Not sure why though. Anyways thanks!

-Josh

On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 7:29 PM, Josh King <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you all, and I apologize for the belated reply!
>
> I believe Ad's suggestion of using the "one step" process of SF works well
> enough for me as it allows me to pad the title with a unique number
> automatically, and through the Semantic Title extension I can change the
> display title throughout the wiki.
>
> However, now I feel like I'm running into a problem. When attempting to
> link to the form via the onestep process:
>
> {{#formlink:form=FormName|link text=Create Summary|link type=button}}
>
> for the form page "Form:FormName", the button created by the #formlink
> parser just redirects me to my wiki's homepage. Meanwhile, #forminput works
> fine.
>
> I must be missing something silly here, and forgive me if so, but any
> ideas on the issue?
>
> Thanks for all the *amazing* support!
> -Josh
>

> On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 3:22 AM, Simon Heimler <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Josh,
>>
>> we've just released the IDProvider extension as version 1.0. The
>> documentation is now available, too:
>>
>> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:IDProvider
>>
>> It includes an example how to use it with Semantic Forms info tag, which
>> is most likely what you needed. If you don't want to add an additional
>> extension, you can also make use of the <unique number> feature as Ad
>> Strack van Schijndel already pointed out.
>>
>> Best,
>> Simon

>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Page titles within the main namespace of my wiki are generally filled
>>> with
>>> literature titles, and thus tend to be unfortunately long. As a means of
>>> avoiding this (as well as page collision issues), I was wondering if
>>> anyone
>>> had any ideas on how to make the page URI be a random value (such as a
>>> string of 8 random numbers)?
>>>
>>> I admit this is somewhat a general mediawiki question, but I felt SMW
>>> would
>>> be its best bet of resolution, as I could forsee some potential
>>> workarounds
>>> by storing the page title itself in a property.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Josh

Re: Random page titles as substitute for long page names?

Yaron Koren-2
Hi Josh,

I'm guessing you ran into this issue:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Semantic_Forms/Known_bugs_and_planned_features

It's unfortunate, but changing to the "short URL" style will make it go
away - and you'll have nicer-looking URLs.

-Yaron