Re: About this mailing list, was: Re: Two use cases for Wiktionary RDF

Re: About this mailing list, was: Re: Two use cases for Wiktionary RDF

Sébastien Druon
Hi all!

Generally, topics about structuring the wiktionary information are
important to all the people needing free/open dictionary resources.

I have read somewhere there is an initiative to specify a new wiktionary
database containing all languages (allowing easier handling of
translations) and structured data, but I cannot find the reference anymore.
Does anyone have a link?

On 11 February 2012 08:40, Sébastien Druon <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
> interesting, that you posted on this list. It is the discussion list
> list for Wiktionary in general.
> I did a mail count for this list for 2011 and this is the result:
> 29 mails total
> 11 were general announcements such as the Wikimania
> 10 were about Wiktionary issues
> 8 were about information extraction of Wiktionary (Mostly caused by us
> and the Wiktionary RDF Extraction announcement).
>
> 2010 looks similar.
>
> I was wondering, if the extraction of data from Wiktionary could become
> a main topic on this list.
>
> Shall we merge communities into this list?
>
> 1. There is a DBpedia Wiktionary  to RDF list with 18 members here:
>
> 2. Then some people might join from http://linguistics.okfn.org/
> This is a Working Group for Open Data in Linguistics and there are maybe
> 5-10 people there that are interested in extraction of structured data
> from Wiktionary.
>
> 3. People from many approaches such as
> http://code.google.com/p/wikokit/ (does not seem to have a mailing list)
> could be redirected here.
>
> In the end all want to get structured data out  of Wiktionary. If this
> would be possible, the number of Wiki editors would also increase.
>
> What do you think? I am not sure about all ramification, but focusing
> all efforts on Wiktionary-l would be nice and would benefit Wiktionary.
> Sebastian
>

> On 01/11/2012 03:50 PM, Thomas Schandl wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I recently found your very interesting projects as I was looking for
> > semantically rich dumps of Wiktionary, and I wanted to tell you about my
> > use cases.
> >
> > I work for the Semantic Web Company (we are also partners in the LOD2
> > project) and we have a term and phrase extractor, which we want to
> > improve by enriching the extraction model with their various grammatical
> > forms of the model's terms.
> >
> > So additions we are most interested in are declinations, tenses and
> > synonyms for German and English.
> > Another use case would be to use Wiktionary data to suggest translations
> > of controlled terms in a thesaurus. So the available translations would
> > be great to have in RDF, too.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Thomas
>

> --
> Dipl. Inf. Sebastian Hellmann
> Department of Computer Science, University of Leipzig
> Projects: http://nlp2rdf.org , http://dbpedia.org
> Homepage: http://bis.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/SebastianHellmann
> Research Group: http://aksw.org

Re: About this mailing list, was: Re: Two use cases for Wiktionary RDF

Sebastian Hellmann
Hi Sébastien,
you might mean the wiki data project by WikiMedia :
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/New_Wikidata

For Wikipedia Infoboxes the Wikidata tool will be great.
But almost all data in Wiktionary is structured. So I am not sure if
this can be completely migrated...
Sebastian

On 02/11/2012 08:48 AM, Sébastien Druon wrote:

> [...]
>>> synonyms for German and English.
>>> Another use case would be to use Wiktionary data to suggest translations
>>> of controlled terms in a thesaurus. So the available translations would
>>> be great to have in RDF, too.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Thomas
>>
>> --
>> Dipl. Inf. Sebastian Hellmann
>> Department of Computer Science, University of Leipzig
>> Projects: http://nlp2rdf.org , http://dbpedia.org
>> Homepage: http://bis.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/SebastianHellmann
>> Research Group: http://aksw.org

Dipl. Inf. Sebastian Hellmann
Projects: http://nlp2rdf.org , http://dbpedia.org
Homepage: http://bis.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/SebastianHellmann
Research Group: http://aksw.org

Re: About this mailing list, was: Re: Two use cases for Wiktionary RDF

Amgine-3
On 12-02-10 11:48 PM, Sébastien Druon wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Generally, topics about structuring the wiktionary information are
> important to all the people needing free/open dictionary resources.
>
> I have read somewhere there is an initiative to specify a new wiktionary
> database containing all languages (allowing easier handling of
> translations) and structured data, but I cannot find the reference anymore.
> Does anyone have a link?

I suspect you may be referring to the OmegaWiki project:
http://www.omegawiki.org/

Although this is based on Mediawiki, it has fundamental modifications
for its implementation.

Amgine