Re: Application to become a Guarantor Member of Wiki Educational Resources Ltd

Re: Application to become a Guarantor Member of Wiki Educational Resources Ltd

Kaihsu Tai
Is there any indication when I am likely to have a
confirmation of the receipt of my applications please?
Thanks.

Wikimedia UK info, 2007-11-23 13:07:53-0000:

--
2007-12-10  Human Rights Day  http://www.un.org/events/humanrights/
military involvement in universities  http://www.studywarnomore.org.uk/

Re: Application to become a Guarantor Member of Wiki Educational Resources Ltd

Sean Whitton (Xyrael)
Hello,

As I understand it, the current situation is such that without the
board fully staffed the forms cannot be looked into at all. However I
am assured by David that it is being worked on (it is presently down
to his partner to move things on, but she is being held back by
illness).

So hopefully things will be moving soon.

Sean

On 12/6/07, Kaihsu Tai <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there any indication when I am likely to have a
> confirmation of the receipt of my applications please?
> Thanks.
>
> Wikimedia UK info, 2007-11-23 13:07:53-0000:
> > Further to the previous mail, at present we are currently unable to
> > confirm receipt of your application.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > WMUK
> >

> > On Thu, November 22, 2007 17:25, Kaihsu Tai wrote:
> > > Hello, could I please have a reply to this query? Thank you.
> > >
> > > Kaihsu Tai, 2007-10-29 18:00:40+0000:

> --
> 2007-12-10  Human Rights Day  http://www.un.org/events/humanrights/
> military involvement in universities  http://www.studywarnomore.org.uk/

Re: Application to become a Guarantor Member of Wiki Educational Resources Ltd

Thomas Dalton
> As I understand it, the current situation is such that without the
> board fully staffed the forms cannot be looked into at all.

That sounds like a catch-22. How is the board going to become fully
staffed if new members can't join? Are there current members
interested in becoming board members?

Re: Application to become a Guarantor Member of Wiki Educational Resources Ltd

Alison M. Wheeler
(Notices this was sent to list aswell)

I've answered this directly to Kaihsu Tai already, but basically this
appears to have been my over-formal response being misunderstood.

"unable to confirm receipt" basically meant that unlike some other
applications we hadn't received the documents relating to this particular
application, probably due to a failure of the post (which sadly seems to
happen too often ime)

The situation via-a-vis the recent delays is, we believe, about to improve
and I shall write to the list after Xmas with a full update.

Regards

Alison Wheeler
WMUK

On Thu, December 6, 2007 12:16, Kaihsu Tai wrote:
> Is there any indication when I am likely to have a
> confirmation of the receipt of my applications please?
> Thanks.
>
> Wikimedia UK info, 2007-11-23 13:07:53-0000:
>> Further to the previous mail, at present we are currently unable to
>> confirm receipt of your application.

Re: Application to become a Guarantor Member of Wiki Educational Resources Ltd

Kaihsu Tai
Thanks for the clarification and sorry for the
misunderstanding. Today I have sent a new set of application
with the cheque by recorded post.

By the way, may I point out one of my earlier comments:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_UK#membership_fee
‘This make me sound skint but I think 25 GBP/a is a bit
steep, especially as Wikimedia UK does not operate any of
the Wikimedia projects and does not pay a donation to
Wikimedia Foundation. We have (yet) no clear indication of
the possible Wikimedia UK projects and the budget. Wikimedia
UK is not a charity yet. I shall pay for this year (seed
fund) but will have to think as carefully in coming years. I
would suggest a one-tier membership fee of 15 GBP with no
concession offers, starting calendar year 2008. – Kaihsu
13:42, 5 October 2007 (UTC)’

Cheers.

Alison Wheeler, 2007-12-06 14:34:33-0000:

> (Notices this was sent to list aswell)
>
> I've answered this directly to Kaihsu Tai already, but basically this
> appears to have been my over-formal response being misunderstood.
>
> "unable to confirm receipt" basically meant that unlike some other
> applications we hadn't received the documents relating to this particular
> application, probably due to a failure of the post (which sadly seems to
> happen too often ime)
>
> The situation via-a-vis the recent delays is, we believe, about to improve
> and I shall write to the list after Xmas with a full update.
>
> Regards
>
> Alison Wheeler
> WMUK
>

> On Thu, December 6, 2007 12:16, Kaihsu Tai wrote:
> > Is there any indication when I am likely to have a
> > confirmation of the receipt of my applications please?
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Wikimedia UK info, 2007-11-23 13:07:53-0000:
> >> Further to the previous mail, at present we are currently unable to
> >> confirm receipt of your application.

2007-12-10  Human Rights Day  http://www.un.org/events/humanrights/
military involvement in universities  http://www.studywarnomore.org.uk/

Re: Application to become a Guarantor Member of Wiki Educational Resources Ltd

Gordon Joly
At 14:34 +0000 6/12/07, Alison Wheeler wrote:

>(Notices this was sent to list aswell)
>
>I've answered this directly to Kaihsu Tai already, but basically this
>appears to have been my over-formal response being misunderstood.
>
>"unable to confirm receipt" basically meant that unlike some other
>applications we hadn't received the documents relating to this particular
>application, probably due to a failure of the post (which sadly seems to
>happen too often ime)
>
>The situation via-a-vis the recent delays is, we believe, about to improve
>and I shall write to the list after Xmas with a full update.
>
>Regards
>
>Alison Wheeler
>WMUK

Happy New Year all!

Alison  - any news?

Gordon

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/

Re: Application to become a Guarantor Member of Wiki Educational Resources Ltd

Kaihsu Tai
I hope to get confirmation of my membership soon.

Kaihsu Tai, 2007-12-07 14:54:22+0000:

At 21:09 +0000 2/1/08, Gordon Joly wrote:

>At 14:34 +0000 6/12/07, Alison Wheeler wrote:
>>(Notices this was sent to list aswell)
>>
>>I've answered this directly to Kaihsu Tai already, but basically this
>>appears to have been my over-formal response being misunderstood.
>>
>>"unable to confirm receipt" basically meant that unlike some other
>>applications we hadn't received the documents relating to this particular
>>application, probably due to a failure of the post (which sadly seems to
>>happen too often ime)
>>
>>The situation via-a-vis the recent delays is, we believe, about to improve
>>and I shall write to the list after Xmas with a full update.
>>
>>Regards
>>
>>Alison Wheeler
>>WMUK
>>

>Happy New Year all!
>
>Alison  - any news?
>
>Gordon

Any  further news?

Gordo

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/

On Thu, January 10, 2008 10:31, Gordon Joly wrote:
> At 21:09 +0000 2/1/08, Gordon Joly wrote:
>>Alison  - any news?
>>Gordon
>
> Any  further news?
> Gordo

Apologies for missing the earlier reply. We're hoping for a happier New
Year and that everything will properly get under way now. At the end of
December we welcomed a new - and experienced - Treasurer who is going to
get the whole banking mess sorted and we're just trying to fix a date for
the Directors to meet to make that all happen.

I'm really hoping this time that we shall have some good news for you all
waiting patiently in the next month or so.

Regards

Alison
WMUK

At 11:35 +0000 10/1/08, Alison Wheeler wrote:

>On Thu, January 10, 2008 10:31, Gordon Joly wrote:
>>  At 21:09 +0000 2/1/08, Gordon Joly wrote:
>>>Alison  - any news?
>>>Gordon
>>
>>  Any  further news?
>>  Gordo
>
>Apologies for missing the earlier reply. We're hoping for a happier New
>Year and that everything will properly get under way now. At the end of
>December we welcomed a new - and experienced - Treasurer who is going to
>get the whole banking mess sorted and we're just trying to fix a date for
>the Directors to meet to make that all happen.
>
>I'm really hoping this time that we shall have some good news for you all
>waiting patiently in the next month or so.
>
>Regards
>
>Alison
>WMUK

Ah, yes. Paul Sinclair.

Gordo

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/

Re: Application to become a Guarantor Member of Wiki Educational Resources Ltd

Kaihsu Tai
It has been more than a month and I still do not know
whether I am a (Guarantor) Member of Wikimedia UK or not....
:(

Sorry for being pushy.

Kaihsu Tai, 2008-01-04 11:22:42+0000:

On Wed, January 16, 2008 11:13, Kaihsu Tai wrote:

> It has been more than a month and I still do not know
> whether I am a (Guarantor) Member of Wikimedia UK or not....
> :(
>
> Sorry for being pushy.
>
> Kaihsu Tai, 2008-01-04 11:22:42+0000:
>> I hope to get confirmation of my membership soon.
>>
>> Kaihsu Tai, 2007-12-07 14:54:22+0000:
>> > Thanks for the clarification and sorry for the
>> > misunderstanding. Today I have sent a new set of application
>> > with the cheque by recorded post.
>> >
>> > By the way, may I point out one of my earlier comments:
>> > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_UK#membership_fee
>> > ‘This make me sound skint but I think 25 GBP/a is a bit
>> > steep, especially as Wikimedia UK does not operate any of
>> > the Wikimedia projects and does not pay a donation to
>> > Wikimedia Foundation. We have (yet) no clear indication of
>> > the possible Wikimedia UK projects and the budget. Wikimedia
>> > UK is not a charity yet. I shall pay for this year (seed
>> > fund) but will have to think as carefully in coming years. I
>> > would suggest a one-tier membership fee of 15 GBP with no
>> > concession offers, starting calendar year 2008. – Kaihsu
>> > 13:42, 5 October 2007 (UTC)’
>> >
>> > Cheers.
>> >
>> > Alison Wheeler, 2007-12-06 14:34:33-0000:

>> this

>> particular
>> seems to

>> improve

Re: Application to become a Guarantor Member of Wiki Educational Resources Ltd

Gordon Joly
At 14:34 +0000 6/12/07, Alison Wheeler wrote:

>(Notices this was sent to list aswell)
>
>I've answered this directly to Kaihsu Tai already, but basically this
>appears to have been my over-formal response being misunderstood.
>
>"unable to confirm receipt" basically meant that unlike some other
>applications we hadn't received the documents relating to this particular
>application, probably due to a failure of the post (which sadly seems to
>happen too often ime)
>
>The situation via-a-vis the recent delays is, we believe, about to improve
>and I shall write to the list after Xmas with a full update.
>
>Regards
>
>Alison Wheeler
>WMUK
>

>On Thu, December 6, 2007 12:16, Kaihsu Tai wrote:
>>  Is there any indication when I am likely to have a
>>  confirmation of the receipt of my applications please?
>>  Thanks.
>>
>>  Wikimedia UK info, 2007-11-23 13:07:53-0000:
>>>  Further to the previous mail, at present we are currently unable to
>  >> confirm receipt of your application.

Did I miss the full update?

Gordo

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/

Re: Update-ish

Alison M. Wheeler
On Wed, February 13, 2008 13:47, Gordon Joly wrote:
> At 14:34 +0000 6/12/07, Alison Wheeler wrote:
>>and I shall write to the list after Xmas with a full update.
>
> Did I miss the full update?

Not quite yet, but we had an in-person Board meeting last weekend and
activity on the cause of the delays is now under way and *hopefully* it
won't be too much longer before everything comes clear!

Alison

Re: Update-ish

Sean Whitton (Xyrael)
Hello,

Any further news on this?

Being 17, £15 is not a drop in the bucket and I am getting tired of
having to figure it into all my financial calculations as an unpaid
cheque :(

Sean

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 2:19 PM, Alison Wheeler
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, February 13, 2008 13:47, Gordon Joly wrote:
>  > At 14:34 +0000 6/12/07, Alison Wheeler wrote:
>  >>and I shall write to the list after Xmas with a full update.
>  >
>  > Did I miss the full update?
>
>  Not quite yet, but we had an in-person Board meeting last weekend and
>  activity on the cause of the delays is now under way and *hopefully* it
>  won't be too much longer before everything comes clear!
>
>  Alison

Re: Update-ish

Sean Whitton (Xyrael)
So first I send my e-mail I intended for the list to Gordo, then my
apology for that intended for him to the list...

My e-mail was merely:

'Alison? David? James?'

Thanks.

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 10:54 AM, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> wrote:

> At 12:46 +0000 24/2/08, Sean Whitton wrote:
>  >Hello,
>  >
>  >Any further news on this?
>  >
>  >Being 17, £15 is not a drop in the bucket and I am getting tired of
>  >having to figure it into all my financial calculations as an unpaid
>  >cheque :(
>  >
>  >Sean
>

>  I think this deserves an answer....
>
>  Gordo
>

>  --
>  "Think Feynman"/////////
>  http://pobox.com/~gordo/
>  [hidden email]///

Re: Update-ish

Alison M. Wheeler
On Wed, February 27, 2008 20:38, Sean Whitton wrote:
> My e-mail was merely:
>
> 'Alison? David? James?'

I emailed our new Treasurer when the first request was posted to ask him
to reply to the list; I'll drop him a reminder note. As I understand it
though, *no* cheques sent as membership subscriptions have been presented
and all are now outside the six month period of their validity. As such,
as soon as we are able to properly accept applications again we shall
'start afresh' as regards to the finances, and it is safe to presume that
your bank accounts have not had WMUK-related deductions.

btw, James resigned last year with pressure of work (job change, as I
understand it) This list had the details but they are also on the website
at www.wikimedia.org.uk

Alison

Re: Update-ish

Thomas Dalton
> I emailed our new Treasurer when the first request was posted to ask him
>  to reply to the list; I'll drop him a reminder note. As I understand it
>  though, *no* cheques sent as membership subscriptions have been presented
>  and all are now outside the six month period of their validity. As such,
>  as soon as we are able to properly accept applications again we shall
>  'start afresh' as regards to the finances, and it is safe to presume that
>  your bank accounts have not had WMUK-related deductions.

So Sean should cancel the cheque and remove it from his accounts?

Re: Update-ish

Gordon Joly
At 22:16 +0000 27/2/08, Alison Wheeler wrote:

>On Wed, February 27, 2008 20:38, Sean Whitton wrote:
>>  My e-mail was merely:
>>
>>  'Alison? David? James?'
>
>I emailed our new Treasurer when the first request was posted to ask him
>to reply to the list; I'll drop him a reminder note. As I understand it
>though, *no* cheques sent as membership subscriptions have been presented
>and all are now outside the six month period of their validity. As such,
>as soon as we are able to properly accept applications again we shall
>'start afresh' as regards to the finances, and it is safe to presume that
>your bank accounts have not had WMUK-related deductions.
>
>btw, James resigned last year with pressure of work (job change, as I
>understand it) This list had the details but they are also on the website
>at www.wikimedia.org.uk
>
>Alison
>
>____________

Does a bank account exist (today, Friday 29th February 2008)?

And, as I can see from the application form and elsewhere, remains
only a company limited by guarantee, and not a charity?

Gordo

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/

Re: Update-ish

Sean Whitton (Xyrael)
On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 3:36 PM, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> wrote:
[snip]
>  Does a bank account exist (today, Friday 29th February 2008)?

I spoke to David about this - no.

Sean