Re: Audio derivatives, turning on MP3/AAC & mobile app feature request.

Re: Audio derivatives, turning on MP3/AAC & mobile app feature request.

Michael Dale-4
+correct content-type this time ;) Note this has already been merged,
but still worth mention for visibility.

On 2/1/13 12:10 PM, Michael Dale wrote:

> We are about to merge in support for audio derivatives to Timed Media
> Handler (TMH). The big value here, I think is encoding to AAC or MP3
> and adding a /listen to this article/ feature to the mobile app.
> https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/39363/
>
> This can really help with improving accessibility of Wiktionary
> pronunciation media files as well.
>
> Also AAC / m4v ingestion, could make audio recordings a lot easier to
> import into the site, i.e a "record a reading of this article" mobile
> app feature #2  ;)
>
> There are already thousands of spoken articles, with some promotion
> their could probably be a lot be more:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Spoken_articles
>
> The software patent situation for mp3 is sad, considering how long the
> mp3 format has been around:
> http://www.tunequest.org/a-big-list-of-mp3-patents/20070226/
>
> I think AAC is a similar situation, encoder wise:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Audio_Coding#Licensing_and_patents
>
> But fundamentally Wikimedia is not "distributing" these encoders and
> there are no royalties for media distribution. Likewise we are not
> shipping decoders ( the decoders are in browser or the mobile OS )
>
> I don't know why Wikimedia's commitment to being accessible in royalty
> free formats, somehow also precludes making content accessible for
> folks on platforms that ~don't~ decode royalty free formats. But
> hopefully we can change that over time.
>
> Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I hope we could come
> out of this thread with rough consensus to enable these formats to
> help increase the reach of audio works.
>
> peace,
> --michael

Re: Audio derivatives, turning on MP3/AAC & mobile app feature request.

Platonides
Your system does not seem to support OGG audio format. Downloading this
file without ogg support may need a significant amount of space and
bandwith. Downloading article.wav ... 20%

Re: Audio derivatives, turning on MP3/AAC & mobile app feature request.

Brion Vibber
On Feb 2, 2013 1:45 PM, "Platonides" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Your system does not seem to support OGG audio format. Downloading this
> file without ogg support may need a significant amount of space and
> bandwith. Downloading article.wav ... 20%

Something tells me that won't be feasible for video. :)

-- brion

Re: Audio derivatives, turning on MP3/AAC & mobile app feature request.

Yuvi Panda
Just to be sure that I'm reading this right - nothing actually changed yet.
We still are a free-formats-only shop for A/V. Right?

--
Yuvi Panda T
http://yuvi.in/blog

Re: Audio derivatives, turning on MP3/AAC & mobile app feature request.

Max Semenik
On 03.02.2013, 2:02 Brion wrote:

> On Feb 2, 2013 1:45 PM, "Platonides" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Your system does not seem to support OGG audio format. Downloading this
>> file without ogg support may need a significant amount of space and
>> bandwith. Downloading article.wav ... 20%

> Something tells me that won't be feasible for video. :)

We've no idea if your system supports OGG videos, so here's an .iso
with a video DVD inside.

--
Best regards,
  Max Semenik ([[User:MaxSem]])

On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 1:31 PM, Max Semenik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 03.02.2013, 2:02 Brion wrote:
>
> > On Feb 2, 2013 1:45 PM, "Platonides" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Your system does not seem to support OGG audio format. Downloading this
> >> file without ogg support may need a significant amount of space and
> >> bandwith. Downloading article.wav ... 20%
>
> > Something tells me that won't be feasible for video. :)
>
> We've no idea if your system supports OGG videos, so here's an .iso
> with a video DVD inside.

Hehehe :)

On a more serious note -- over on the Mobile apps team we're currently
working on Android and iOS uploader apps for Commons. Currently we only
support images, but it would be *awesome* to support videos and audio.

There's been some preliminary work on transcoding audio to Ogg Vorbis on
Android, which we could probably rig up on iOS as well, but for video it's
probably not feasible to do WebM encoding in software on a relatively slow
ARM processor.

Native support for ingesting MP4 and AAC would simplify audio and
especially video upload as well. Even if this happens separately from
playback, it would be very valuable.

-- brion

Re: Audio derivatives, turning on MP3/AAC & mobile app feature request.

Yuri Astrakhan
It seems Opus is going full speed ahead with both Mozilla and Chrome
already supporting it in beta. Any plans for that?

http://www.infoworld.com/d/applications/webrtc-creates-interop-between-chrome-and-firefox-212230
http://news.slashdot.org/story/13/02/04/1944217/firefox-and-chrome-can-talk-to-each-other

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 5:09 PM, Brion Vibber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 1:31 PM, Max Semenik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> this
> >
> > > Something tells me that won't be feasible for video. :)
> >
> > We've no idea if your system supports OGG videos, so here's an .iso
> > with a video DVD inside.
> >

> Hehehe :)
>
> On a more serious note -- over on the Mobile apps team we're currently
> working on Android and iOS uploader apps for Commons. Currently we only
> support images, but it would be *awesome* to support videos and audio.
>
> There's been some preliminary work on transcoding audio to Ogg Vorbis on
> Android, which we could probably rig up on iOS as well, but for video it's
> probably not feasible to do WebM encoding in software on a relatively slow
> ARM processor.
>
> Native support for ingesting MP4 and AAC would simplify audio and
> especially video upload as well. Even if this happens separately from
> playback, it would be very valuable.
>
> -- brion

Re: Audio derivatives, turning on MP3/AAC & mobile app feature request.

Michael Dale-4
Yes' all that changed is we added support for audio derivatives. We have
not enabled mp3 or AAC. The same code can be used for flac -> ogg or
whatever we configure.