Re: BBC Newsnight tonight! re: flagged revs

Re: BBC Newsnight tonight! re: flagged revs

Mike Peel
The latest estimate is 2 weeks time, or probably a bit later. A trial
of it on a test wiki started today.

For "etc", skim through the press articles:
http://news.google.co.uk/news/more?
pz=1&ned=uk&cf=all&ncl=d6UGVLeRTwDpYhM4J3t9zU3iTWx6M

Mike

On 25 Aug 2009, at 19:31, David Gerard wrote:

> This is telly and Very Important. I'll have my suit and tie ...
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsnight
>
> Perhaps I'll get Paxmanned!
>
> I NEED INFORMATION.
>
> * When's Flagged Revs being switched on?
> * Where's the latest version of *precisely what's happening*?
> * etc?
>
> I can arse it through for Radio 5, but Newsnight is a bit scary!
>

> - d.

Re: BBC Newsnight tonight! re: flagged revs

Ian A. Holton
Just a quick questin: Why are you doing this, David? Not that I think you are a bad choice (not at all!), but afaik you were the press contact for the "old" Wikimedia UK.

Maybe it is time to tell the press and get some people from the current board some airtime, i.e free publicity and establishing some involved board memebers.

Ian
[[U:Poeloq]]

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 8:34 PM, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:
The latest estimate is 2 weeks time, or probably a bit later. A trial
of it on a test wiki started today.

For "etc", skim through the press articles:
http://news.google.co.uk/news/more?
pz=1&ned=uk&cf=all&ncl=d6UGVLeRTwDpYhM4J3t9zU3iTWx6M

Mike

On 25 Aug 2009, at 19:31, David Gerard wrote:

> This is telly and Very Important. I'll have my suit and tie ...
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsnight
>
> Perhaps I'll get Paxmanned!
>
> I NEED INFORMATION.
>
> * When's Flagged Revs being switched on?
> * Where's the latest version of *precisely what's happening*?
> * etc?
>
> I can arse it through for Radio 5, but Newsnight is a bit scary!
>

> - d.

Ian A Holton
Basler-Landstrasse 19a - 79111 Freiburg - Germany
+49 761  4587907-0 (Landline)
+49 761  4587907-9 (Fax)
+49 157  77247397  (Mobile)

"What the liberal must ask,
first of all, is not how fast or how far
we should move,
but where we should move."
-F.A von Hayek

2009/8/25 Michael Peel <[hidden email]>:

> The latest estimate is 2 weeks time, or probably a bit later. A trial
> of it on a test wiki started today.

And this is the proposal that's being tried:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Flagged_protection_and_patrolled_revisions

So, two months of it live to see how this runs?

Another thought: this is actually more open than just locking the article. :-)

- d.

Re: BBC Newsnight tonight! re: flagged revs

Thomas Dalton
2009/8/25 David Gerard <[hidden email]>:

> This is telly and Very Important. I'll have my suit and tie ...
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsnight
>
> Perhaps I'll get Paxmanned!
>
> I NEED INFORMATION.
>
> * When's Flagged Revs being switched on?
> * Where's the latest version of *precisely what's happening*?
> * etc?
>
> I can arse it through for Radio 5, but Newsnight is a bit scary!

For those not familiar with British TV, Newsnight is probably the most
highbrow current affairs program we have. This is a very big deal!
Best of luck to you David, I know you'll do a fantastic job.

2009/8/25 Ian A. Holton <[hidden email]>:

> Just a quick questin: Why are you doing this, David? Not that I think you
> are a bad choice (not at all!), but afaik you were the press contact for the
> "old" Wikimedia UK.

Basically because they called my number, after Mike Peel put them onto
me. So I supply backup for WMUK as needed in practice. I'm in London
(Newsnight is recorded at TV Centre), Mike's in Manchester, Andrew's
in Nottingham ...

Before WMUK at all, I was a press volunteer for WMF, and still am.
That's the capacity I do press in.

> Maybe it is time to tell the press and get some people from the current
> board some airtime, i.e free publicity and establishing some involved board
> memebers.

More and more has been done by current WMUK people, which is good as
it takes load off me! But once your number's in the media's address
books, your phone will ring forever. Alison still gets calls too ...

- d.

Re: BBC Newsnight tonight! re: flagged revs

Thomas Dalton
2009/8/25 Ian A. Holton <[hidden email]>:
> Just a quick questin: Why are you doing this, David? Not that I think you
> are a bad choice (not at all!), but afaik you were the press contact for the
> "old" Wikimedia UK.

He's doing it because he is very good at it! While David was involved
with the old WMUK, he has also been a WMF press contact for years.

On 25 Aug 2009, at 19:43, David Gerard wrote:

> 2009/8/25 Michael Peel <[hidden email]>:
>
>> The latest estimate is 2 weeks time, or probably a bit later. A trial
>> of it on a test wiki started today.
>

> And this is the proposal that's being tried:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
> Wikipedia:Flagged_protection_and_patrolled_revisions
>
> So, two months of it live to see how this runs?

Yup

> Another thought: this is actually more open than just locking the
> article. :-)

I've been trying to push precisely that point. People view this as a
bad thing, but as long as Wikipedia doesn't apply it to everything
and uses it to replace the current protection of articles, then it
could work very well.

Unfortunately, I've yet to find a page that describes how wide-spread
the flagged protection is intended to be...

Mike

Re: BBC Newsnight tonight! re: flagged revs

Mike Peel
I just want to confirm everything that David's saying. In addition,
after today's volume of phone calls, I need to recover, and really
lack the energy to go on TV at that time of night. ;-)

Mike

On 25 Aug 2009, at 19:48, David Gerard wrote:

> 2009/8/25 Ian A. Holton <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Just a quick questin: Why are you doing this, David? Not that I
>> think you
>> are a bad choice (not at all!), but afaik you were the press
>> contact for the
>> "old" Wikimedia UK.
>

> Basically because they called my number, after Mike Peel put them onto
> me. So I supply backup for WMUK as needed in practice. I'm in London
> (Newsnight is recorded at TV Centre), Mike's in Manchester, Andrew's
> in Nottingham ...
>
> Before WMUK at all, I was a press volunteer for WMF, and still am.
> That's the capacity I do press in.
>

>> Maybe it is time to tell the press and get some people from the
>> current
>> board some airtime, i.e free publicity and establishing some
>> involved board
>> memebers.
>

> More and more has been done by current WMUK people, which is good as
> it takes load off me! But once your number's in the media's address
> books, your phone will ring forever. Alison still gets calls too ...
>

> - d.

Re: BBC Newsnight tonight! re: flagged revs

Jonathan Hall-7
On Tue, August 25, 2009 7:52 pm, Michael Peel wrote:
>> Another thought: this is actually more open than just locking the
>> article. :-)
>
> I've been trying to push precisely that point. People view this as a
> bad thing, but as long as Wikipedia doesn't apply it to everything
> and uses it to replace the current protection of articles, then it
> could work very well.

I would push the "alternative to protection" angle. It should be used like
a taser should be used - as an alternative to shooting people, not as a
routine tool.

> Unfortunately, I've yet to find a page that describes how wide-spread
> the flagged protection is intended to be...

I've noticed a dearth of information on that too.

Jonathan G Hall <[hidden email]>

Re: BBC Newsnight tonight! re: flagged revs

2009/8/25 Michael Peel <[hidden email]>:

> I just want to confirm everything that David's saying. In addition,
> after today's volume of phone calls, I need to recover, and really
> lack the energy to go on TV at that time of night. ;-)

Yes. When there's a media feeding frenzy, it's all-hands time! As I
posted here about the IWF kerfuffle ...

Mike's been directing this one and the WMUK phone seems to be where
more of the action is these days. So that's good.

- d.

Re: BBC Newsnight tonight! re: flagged revs

Thomas Dalton
Well done, David, good work! It's a pity you weren't able to emphasise
the "this is better than what we had before" point more, but at least
you managed to mention it. However, it sounded like the plan was to
have all BLPs flag protected, but I don't see that on the description
of the trial. In fact, it doesn't seem to mention it having anything
to do with BLPs other than BLP being one of the policies an article
needs to satisfy to be flagged.

Re: BBC Newsnight tonight! re: flagged revs

Chris Down-2
Also watched it with interest, I was also shaking my head when she said that free editing had been a 'mirage' all along. I think the point that this was just a short trial and was not something that would come quickly was not emphasised enough, but meh.

But yes, I certainly would not be brave enough to step up and talk about FlaggedRevs. Great work, David. :)

- Chris