Re: Bylaws->Approval->Contract?? (Translations in general)

Re: Bylaws->Approval->Contract?? (Translations in general)

Michael Bimmler
(I especially cc this post to Delphine to somehow "catch her eye" as
there are a few points raised on which she would probably know th
answer)

Well I can only say what I heard from Delphine quite in the beginning
and she said (correct me if I am wrong) that bylaws need to be
approved by board prior to foundation and independently of the
trademark agreement. Remember that just-founded
Serbia/Montenegro-chapter's bylaws were also approved PRIOR to
foundation.
Now I would like to request a kind of status update:
En: Somehow situation is all but clear here. Manuel somewhen said
something about somebody (have I tried out all "Some..." yet?) whom he
knows and who could translate this. Is this now ongoing?  Parallely,
we once decided to collectively translate bylaws. Ilario has started
and I also translated once one and a half paragraphs but I didn't
spend a lot of time on it, as it would be useless if we translate
parallel to Manuel's friend. Now here we definitely have to sort out,
whom is when going to do what, otherwise we'll never have these
english translations.
Fr: Emanuel, you told me once in the beginning of december, that
fr-translation would probably ready by Christmas. Now, could you also
give us an "update", whether french translations could get ready in
due time or not.
It: The very only translations that were ready by end of november,
congratulations and thanks!
I would like to point out, that it makes no sense to me, to just found
the Verein as soon as possible without board approval or translated
bylaws.
I mean, we're not so much in hurry yet.
Regards
Michael

2006/1/22, Robin Schwab <[hidden email]>:

> Dear all
>
> I tried to translate our bylaws but gave up because it's very difficult.
> Then I had the idea to get the English version of the German Wikimedia
> bylaws since these are widely identical to ours. Then I found out that
> the German Wikimedia bylaws only partially exist in English:
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Deutschland/Satzung/English
>
> the same seems to be with the French Wikimedia chapter. The next
> question is: Why does the swiss chapter have to translate its bylaws?
>
> Then I thought that bylaws must be approved before a new chapter can be
> founded. But
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Local_chapter_FAQ
>
> says: "Once your chapter is operational, a contract regarding your
> chapter's logo and trademark use might be made."
>
> This means we're not in a hurry about getting the bylaws approved since
> we are not an operational chapter right now.
>
> If we really need to translate the bylaws it would make sense to work
> together with the German chapter.
>
> Regards
>
> Robin

An eternity is very, very long, especially towards the end

Re: Bylaws->Approval->Contract?? (Translations in general)

Manuel Schneider [Everything Open]
> En: Somehow situation is all but clear here. Manuel somewhen said
> something about somebody (have I tried out all "Some..." yet?) whom he
> knows and who could translate this. Is this now ongoing?
As I told you, I asked a friend who is from Canada and is sometimes working as
translator. As she agreed to do it, but needs some time for it, I gave her
the order to do it.

As soon as I have some news I will post them here.

Greets,

Manuel
All-Things-Open Projektgruppe

[hidden email]
http://www.all-things-open.org/

Re: Bylaws->Approval->Contract?? (Translations in general)

Ilario Valdelli
That Michael says it's correct. Also for Italian Foundation the
approvation from Board was required prior the formal notification.

Ilario

On 1/23/06, Michael Bimmler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > the same seems to be with the French Wikimedia chapter. The next
> > question is: Why does the swiss chapter have to translate its bylaws?
> >
> > Then I thought that bylaws must be approved before a new chapter can be
> > founded. But
> >
> > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Local_chapter_FAQ
> >
> > says: "Once your chapter is operational, a contract regarding your
> > chapter's logo and trademark use might be made."
> >
> > This means we're not in a hurry about getting the bylaws approved since
> > we are not an operational chapter right now.
> >
> > If we really need to translate the bylaws it would make sense to work
> > together with the German chapter.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Robin

> An eternity is very, very long, especially towards the end

Re: Bylaws->Approval->Contract?? (Translations in general)

Delphine Ménard
On 1/23/06, Michael Bimmler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> (I especially cc this post to Delphine to somehow "catch her eye" as
> there are a few points raised on which she would probably know th
> answer)

And it did ;-)

> Well I can only say what I heard from Delphine quite in the beginning
> and she said (correct me if I am wrong) that bylaws need to be
> approved by board prior to foundation and independently of the
> trademark agreement. Remember that just-founded
> Serbia/Montenegro-chapter's bylaws were also approved PRIOR to
> foundation.
[snip]

> I would like to point out, that it makes no sense to me, to just found
> the Verein as soon as possible without board approval or translated
> bylaws.
> I mean, we're not so much in hurry yet.

And I totally agree. Whereas I suppose that by law the bylaws need to
be translated into the official languages (and if not, I would however
strongly encourage it in order to make sure that Wikimedia CH is
"international", the English translation may be  "contributor-made"
for the Foundation to approve the bylaws. However, I remind you that
local chapters are allowed a starting budget from the Foundation. I
fyou find it too difficult to  translate the bylaws in the appropriate
languages, both for the creation of your chapter and for Foundation's
approval, I suggest the following:
1- try to see if people interested in founding the chapter are ready
to help (moneywise) to get a translation
2- ask for the remainder of the money needed to the Foundation as a
"start-up" budget.

> 2006/1/22, Robin Schwab <[hidden email]>:
> > Dear all

> > Then I thought that bylaws must be approved before a new chapter can be
> > founded. But
> >
> > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Local_chapter_FAQ
> >
> > says: "Once your chapter is operational, a contract regarding your
> > chapter's logo and trademark use might be made."

It also says:
 "The Foundation will need to see an English copy of your proposed
bylaws before you may officially be called a Wikimedia chapter."

Delphine
--
~notafish