Re: Cannot edit pages: Fatal Error + upgrading

Re: Cannot edit pages: Fatal Error + upgrading

FreeAll Support

Thanks again...

Well, I'll upgrade first.
How do I upgrade - just run over all of the files? (overwrite) or should I
do something special? (- no documentation at media-wiki's site...)

When I say a clean server, I actually mean that no wiki was installed on my
space on the server... the server is not mine - it's on some third-party
hosting service (as I said before - called LunarPages)

I have no idea how exactly the PHP is configured, but as far as I know the
installation worked just fine (I was using an FTP software to upload the
files).

That's it for now, if you have any recommendations about upgrading, I'll be
happy, thanks.

Peleg.

-----

Message: 4
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 16:20:46 -0800
From: Brion Vibber <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Mediawiki-l] Cannot edit pages: Fatal Error
To: MediaWiki announcements and site admin list
        <[hidden email]>

FreeAll Support wrote:
> The URL: arkana.freeall.org/arkanapedia It's in Hebrew...
>
> The version of MediaWiki is the latest. I downloaded it this week.
> 1.5.5, I think.

1.5.5 is a version behind; the current release is 1.5.6, released January
19.

> Because - I haven't changed any code, and couldn't be any mix cause
> the installation is completely new, on a clean server...

When you say it's "a clean server", what does this mean?

Did you install Linux yourself on it, and know exactly how PHP is
configured? Do you run it yourself, or is it an account on some third-party
hosting service?

Are you familiar with its configuration? What's PHP's include_path set to?
Is the override in MediaWiki's config failing? Might it be loading some
other file for this? Have you checked to confirm that the files were all
uploaded correctly?

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: Cannot edit pages: Fatal Error + upgrading

Brion Vibber
FreeAll Support wrote:
> Thanks again...
>
> Well, I'll upgrade first.
> How do I upgrade - just run over all of the files? (overwrite) or should I
> do something special? (- no documentation at media-wiki's site...)

a) Read the file UPGRADING
b) Read the many, many documentation pages on the site.
c) Use Google to find them if you have trouble.

> When I say a clean server, I actually mean that no wiki was installed on my
> space on the server... the server is not mine - it's on some third-party
> hosting service (as I said before - called LunarPages)
>
> I have no idea how exactly the PHP is configured, but as far as I know the
> installation worked just fine (I was using an FTP software to upload the
> files).

You should check the configuration, then. phpinfo()

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)