Re: Category for monkey selfie of Wikimedians!

Re: Category for monkey selfie of Wikimedians!

Fabian Tompsett
I agree.

We should also make the most of this signifying monkey who is blessing Wikimania 2014 with his smile. The ancient Egyptian deity Thoth often took the foprm of an ape:
"He served as a mediating power, especially between good and evil, making sure neither had a decisive victory over the other.[25] He also served as scribe of the gods,[26] credited with the invention of writing and alphabets (i.e. hieroglyphs) themselves.

(...)

The Greeks further declared him the inventor of astronomy, astrology, the science of numbers, mathematics, geometry, land surveying, medicine, botany, theology, civilized government, the alphabet, reading, writing, and oratory. They further claimed he was the true author of every work of every branch of knowledge, human and divine.[27]"

Clearly Thoth we must regard Thoth as a Wikimedian!

all the best

Fabian Tompsett,
Wikimania Support Team,
Wikimedia UK,
Address: 56-64 Leonard St,
Shoreditch,
London EC2A 4LT
Phone:020 7065 0991
Mobile: 07548 103787

On 8 August 2014 06:52, Subhashish Panigrahi <[hidden email]> wrote:
" <[hidden email]>

Hi all,

Since yesterday, my Facebook wall has been flooded with monkey selfies. It i=
s that media has hyped, there is a need for creating a category. I am propos=
ing this and requesting someone to create a campaign that also keeps the lic=
ense as CC0. Feedbacks welcome.

Best!
Subha=

Re: Category for monkey selfie of Wikimedians!

Michael Peel-2
How about:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Monkey_selfie
(although perhaps that name's a bit too general for Commons...)

Thanks,
Mike

On 8 Aug 2014, at 06:52, Subhashish Panigrahi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> " <[hidden email]>
>
> Hi all,
>
> Since yesterday, my Facebook wall has been flooded with monkey selfies. It i=
> s that media has hyped, there is a need for creating a category. I am propos=
> ing this and requesting someone to create a campaign that also keeps the lic=
> ense as CC0. Feedbacks welcome.
>
> Best!
> Subha=

Re: Category for monkey selfie of Wikimedians!

Richard Symonds-3
I think if it's commons you have to use the latin name for "monkey"

Richard Symonds
Wikimedia UK
0207 065 0992

Wikimedia UK is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513. Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom. Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a global Wikimedia movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).

Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.

On 8 August 2014 11:40, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:
How about:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Monkey_selfie
(although perhaps that name's a bit too general for Commons...)

Thanks,
Mike

On 8 Aug 2014, at 06:52, Subhashish Panigrahi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> " <[hidden email]>
>
> Hi all,
>
> Since yesterday, my Facebook wall has been flooded with monkey selfies. It i=
> s that media has hyped, there is a need for creating a category. I am propos=
> ing this and requesting someone to create a campaign that also keeps the lic=
> ense as CC0. Feedbacks welcome.
>
> Best!
> Subha=

Re: Category for monkey selfie of Wikimedians!

Joseph Fox
Monkius Selfius.

Joe

On 8 August 2014 at 12:28:45 pm, Richard Symonds ([hidden email]) wrote:

I think if it's commons you have to use the latin name for "monkey"

Richard Symonds
Wikimedia UK
0207 065 0992

Wikimedia UK is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513. Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom. Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a global Wikimedia movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).

Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.

On 8 August 2014 11:40, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:
How about:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Monkey_selfie
(although perhaps that name's a bit too general for Commons...)

Thanks,
Mike

On 8 Aug 2014, at 06:52, Subhashish Panigrahi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> " <[hidden email]>
>
> Hi all,
>
> Since yesterday, my Facebook wall has been flooded with monkey selfies. It i=
> s that media has hyped, there is a need for creating a category. I am propos=
> ing this and requesting someone to create a campaign that also keeps the lic=
> ense as CC0. Feedbacks welcome.
>
> Best!
> Subha=

Joseph Fox
Sent with Airmail

Re: Category for monkey selfie of Wikimedians!

Jens Best
Monkius Selfius - It's a (R)Evolution!

See Trailer for the new Movie "Selfie of the Ape - The Copyright Wars"

http://vimeo.com/102892584

Monkius Selfius.

Joe

On 8 August 2014 at 12:28:45 pm, Richard Symonds ([hidden email]) wrote:

I think if it's commons you have to use the latin name for "monkey"

Richard Symonds
Wikimedia UK
0207 065 0992

Wikimedia UK is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513. Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom. Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a global Wikimedia movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).

Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.

On 8 August 2014 11:40, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:
How about:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Monkey_selfie
(although perhaps that name's a bit too general for Commons...)

Thanks,
Mike

On 8 Aug 2014, at 06:52, Subhashish Panigrahi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> " <[hidden email]>
>
> Hi all,
>
> Since yesterday, my Facebook wall has been flooded with monkey selfies. It i=
> s that media has hyped, there is a need for creating a category. I am propos=
> ing this and requesting someone to create a campaign that also keeps the lic=
> ense as CC0. Feedbacks welcome.
>
> Best!
> Subha=

Joseph Fox
Sent with Airmail

Jens Best
Präsidium
Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
web: http://www.wikimedia.de
mail: jens.best@wikimedia.de

Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts
Berlin-Charlottenburg unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig
anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin,
Steuernummer 27/681/51985.

Re: Category for monkey selfie of Wikimedians!

Fabian Tompsett
Or:

Simia Autoritratta

all the best

Fabian Tompsett,
Wikimania Support Team,
Wikimedia UK,
Address: 56-64 Leonard St,
Shoreditch,
London EC2A 4LT
Phone:020 7065 0991
Mobile: 07548 103787

On 8 August 2014 12:29, Joseph Fox <[hidden email]> wrote:
Monkius Selfius.

Joe

On 8 August 2014 at 12:28:45 pm, Richard Symonds ([hidden email]) wrote:

I think if it's commons you have to use the latin name for "monkey"

Richard Symonds
Wikimedia UK
0207 065 0992

Wikimedia UK is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513. Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom. Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a global Wikimedia movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).

Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.

On 8 August 2014 11:40, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:
How about:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Monkey_selfie
(although perhaps that name's a bit too general for Commons...)

Thanks,
Mike

On 8 Aug 2014, at 06:52, Subhashish Panigrahi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> " <[hidden email]>
>
> Hi all,
>
> Since yesterday, my Facebook wall has been flooded with monkey selfies. It i=
> s that media has hyped, there is a need for creating a category. I am propos=
> ing this and requesting someone to create a campaign that also keeps the lic=
> ense as CC0. Feedbacks welcome.
>
> Best!
> Subha=

Joseph Fox
Sent with Airmail

Re: Category for monkey selfie of Wikimedians!

Gordon Joly
On 08/08/14 12:44, Fabian Tompsett wrote:

> *Simia Autoritratta*

Yeah, like Robert Mapplethorpe?

Gordo

Re: Category for monkey selfie of Wikimedians!

Thomas Morton

I find this a bit distasteful, rather akin to rubbing it in the photographers face.

Its fine to take a stand on a point of copyright.

But being dicks about winning is surely not the sort of attitude we want to display? Hardly helps support our stance as serious, rather than trollish.

Tom

On 8 Aug 2014 22:54, "Gordon Joly" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 08/08/14 12:44, Fabian Tompsett wrote:

> *Simia Autoritratta*

Yeah, like Robert Mapplethorpe?

Gordo

Re: Category for monkey selfie of Wikimedians!

Craig Franklin-2
I agree with Tom here, I find the whole monkey selfie thing to be rather tasteless and disrespectful.  You might not agree with the arguments the photographer makes (and I don't), but there's no need for mockery and derision.

Cheers,
Craig

On 9 August 2014 08:24, Thomas Morton <[hidden email]> wrote:

I find this a bit distasteful, rather akin to rubbing it in the photographers face.

Its fine to take a stand on a point of copyright.

But being dicks about winning is surely not the sort of attitude we want to display? Hardly helps support our stance as serious, rather than trollish.

Tom

On 8 Aug 2014 22:54, "Gordon Joly" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 08/08/14 12:44, Fabian Tompsett wrote:

> *Simia Autoritratta*

Yeah, like Robert Mapplethorpe?

Gordo

Re: Category for monkey selfie of Wikimedians!

Fabian Tompsett
I am sorry but I do not quite get Tom and Craig's point here. It's not about "winning" and am not sure why you suggest that the selfie's involve mockery and derision.

The image of the monkey constitutes a very old archetype dating back to ancient Egypt, where the monkey was known as Thoth. According to Wikipedia, the Greeks "he was the true author of every work of every branch of knowledge, human and divine." An interesting take on copyright: the monkey takes it all!

In fact the putative £10,000 lost revenue Slater claims he has lost, was always speculative. I reckon the publicity he has gained is more than adequate recompense, and maybe he was aware of the weakness of case and gaining the publicity was his purpose in taking the action.

all the best

Fabian Tompsett,
Wikimania Support Team,
Wikimedia UK,
Address: 56-64 Leonard St,
Shoreditch,
London EC2A 4LT
Phone:020 7065 0991
Mobile: 07548 103787

On 9 August 2014 01:37, Craig Franklin <[hidden email]> wrote:
I agree with Tom here, I find the whole monkey selfie thing to be rather tasteless and disrespectful.  You might not agree with the arguments the photographer makes (and I don't), but there's no need for mockery and derision.

Cheers,
Craig

On 9 August 2014 08:24, Thomas Morton <[hidden email]> wrote:

I find this a bit distasteful, rather akin to rubbing it in the photographers face.

Its fine to take a stand on a point of copyright.

But being dicks about winning is surely not the sort of attitude we want to display? Hardly helps support our stance as serious, rather than trollish.

Tom

On 8 Aug 2014 22:54, "Gordon Joly" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 08/08/14 12:44, Fabian Tompsett wrote:

> *Simia Autoritratta*

Yeah, like Robert Mapplethorpe?

Gordo

Re: Category for monkey selfie of Wikimedians!

Thomas Morton

Ironically, that doesn't fit in this case, because the monkey doesn't hold the copyright :)

As to your other point, that's one of my most hated arguments we band around on Wikimedia projects. Its really not conducive to attracting anyone.

The point is, we've taken a stance on a point of copyright. Its not appropriate to be rude or unpleasant about it, unless that's the image you wish to portray.

I know it's in fun, but that's not really an excuse. Ultimately there is a photographer who is unhappy about that point, and it a) only serves go make him more unhappy for no purpose (which is obnoxious) and b) damages our perception in the public eye as making a serious point. Instead we risk coming off being lumped in with the copyright infringers (pirate bay etc.) And trolls.

Tom

On 9 Aug 2014 02:00, "Fabian Tompsett" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am sorry but I do not quite get Tom and Craig's point here. It's not about "winning" and am not sure why you suggest that the selfie's involve mockery and derision.

The image of the monkey constitutes a very old archetype dating back to ancient Egypt, where the monkey was known as Thoth. According to Wikipedia, the Greeks "he was the true author of every work of every branch of knowledge, human and divine." An interesting take on copyright: the monkey takes it all!

In fact the putative £10,000 lost revenue Slater claims he has lost, was always speculative. I reckon the publicity he has gained is more than adequate recompense, and maybe he was aware of the weakness of case and gaining the publicity was his purpose in taking the action.

all the best

Fabian Tompsett,
Wikimania Support Team,
Wikimedia UK,
Address: 56-64 Leonard St,
Shoreditch,
London EC2A 4LT
Phone:020 7065 0991
Mobile: 07548 103787

On 9 August 2014 01:37, Craig Franklin <[hidden email]> wrote:
I agree with Tom here, I find the whole monkey selfie thing to be rather tasteless and disrespectful.  You might not agree with the arguments the photographer makes (and I don't), but there's no need for mockery and derision.

Cheers,
Craig

On 9 August 2014 08:24, Thomas Morton <[hidden email]> wrote:

I find this a bit distasteful, rather akin to rubbing it in the photographers face.

Its fine to take a stand on a point of copyright.

But being dicks about winning is surely not the sort of attitude we want to display? Hardly helps support our stance as serious, rather than trollish.

Tom

On 8 Aug 2014 22:54, "Gordon Joly" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 08/08/14 12:44, Fabian Tompsett wrote:

> *Simia Autoritratta*

Yeah, like Robert Mapplethorpe?

Gordo

Re: Category for monkey selfie of Wikimedians!

Tom Morris-5
Thomas Morton wrote:
> I find this a bit distasteful, rather akin to rubbing it in the
> photographers face.
>
> Its fine to take a stand on a point of copyright.
>
> But being dicks about winning is surely not the sort of attitude we want
> to display? Hardly helps support our stance as serious, rather than
> trollish.

Agreed. It is rather tacky, juvenile and slightly unpleasant. Be
magnanimous in victory and all that. It'd be nice to know who thought
"take a photo with the monkey selfie" was a useful and productive piece
of free culture activism. Because it just makes us look like mean jerks.

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>

Re: Category for monkey selfie of Wikimedians!

Joseph Fox
I’ll agree with that, Tom. It strikes me as the social media team jumping at a chance to go viral - which in fairness is sort of their job. It sucks that these kinds of roles can be as unintentionally dickish as in this case.

Joe

On 11 August 2014 at 12:01:38 am, Tom Morris ([hidden email]) wrote:

Thomas Morton wrote:
> I find this a bit distasteful, rather akin to rubbing it in the
> photographers face.
>
> Its fine to take a stand on a point of copyright.
>
> But being dicks about winning is surely not the sort of attitude we want
> to display? Hardly helps support our stance as serious, rather than
> trollish.

Agreed. It is rather tacky, juvenile and slightly unpleasant. Be
magnanimous in victory and all that. It'd be nice to know who thought
"take a photo with the monkey selfie" was a useful and productive piece
of free culture activism. Because it just makes us look like mean jerks.

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>

Joseph Fox
Sent with Airmail

Re: Category for monkey selfie of Wikimedians!

Luca Martinelli

I think this is just a bit of overreacting. I don't feel like a jerk because I took a #monkeyselfie, it's just a joke. I don't think the photographer will get mad at us for this, nor that he will feel mocked by an innocent game. It's about fun, not about copyright law.

L.

Il 11/ago/2014 00:01 "Tom Morris" <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
Thomas Morton wrote:
> I find this a bit distasteful, rather akin to rubbing it in the
> photographers face.
>
> Its fine to take a stand on a point of copyright.
>
> But being dicks about winning is surely not the sort of attitude we want
> to display? Hardly helps support our stance as serious, rather than
> trollish.

Agreed. It is rather tacky, juvenile and slightly unpleasant. Be
magnanimous in victory and all that. It'd be nice to know who thought
"take a photo with the monkey selfie" was a useful and productive piece
of free culture activism. Because it just makes us look like mean jerks.

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>

Re: Category for monkey selfie of Wikimedians!

Rebecca Cotton
Did I miss something? Afaik he's probably still taking Wikimedia to court. So where is the "winning" here?

Cheers, Rebecca

PS: that aside: you can have a picture with a monkey taking a selfie!! For most of us that is probably the closest we'll ever get to being in a monkey selfie! (It is ok though not to be excited about this)

On August 11, 2014 12:01:26 AM GMT+01:00, Tom Morris <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thomas Morton wrote:
I find this a bit distasteful, rather akin to rubbing it in the
photographers face.

Its fine to take a stand on a point of copyright.

But being dicks about winning is surely not the sort of attitude we want
to display? Hardly helps support our stance as serious, rather than
trollish.

Agreed. It is rather tacky, juvenile and slightly unpleasant. Be
magnanimous in victory and all that. It'd be nice to know who thought
"take a photo with the monkey selfie" was a useful and productive piece
of free culture activism. Because it just makes us look like mean jerks.

Re: Category for monkey selfie of Wikimedians!

Lodewijk

Correct me if i'm wrong, but to the best of my knowledge this was mostly spontaneous during the hackathon? If it was social media team then it wad a job well done, but that ix not how i perceived it.

Lodewijk

Thomas Morton wrote:
> I find this a bit distasteful, rather akin to rubbing it in the
> photographers face.
>
> Its fine to take a stand on a point of copyright.
>
> But being dicks about winning is surely not the sort of attitude we want
> to display? Hardly helps support our stance as serious, rather than
> trollish.

Agreed. It is rather tacky, juvenile and slightly unpleasant. Be
magnanimous in victory and all that. It'd be nice to know who thought
"take a photo with the monkey selfie" was a useful and productive piece
of free culture activism. Because it just makes us look like mean jerks.

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>

Joseph Fox
Sent with Airmail

Re: Category for monkey selfie of Wikimedians!

Joseph Fox
Pretty sure this was spontaneous but I can't imagine for a moment the social media team had nothing to do with it - the photo was printed in colour dozens of times purely for this!

Joe

Thomas Morton wrote:
> I find this a bit distasteful, rather akin to rubbing it in the
> photographers face.
>
> Its fine to take a stand on a point of copyright.
>
> But being dicks about winning is surely not the sort of attitude we want
> to display? Hardly helps support our stance as serious, rather than
> trollish.

Agreed. It is rather tacky, juvenile and slightly unpleasant. Be
magnanimous in victory and all that. It'd be nice to know who thought
"take a photo with the monkey selfie" was a useful and productive piece
of free culture activism. Because it just makes us look like mean jerks.

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>

Joseph Fox
Sent with Airmail

Re: Category for monkey selfie of Wikimedians!

Lodewijk

I'm confident hackers know how to use a printer ;) but you may have a point, they mifht have prdferred a device.

On Aug 12, 2014 12:21 AM, "Joseph Fox" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Pretty sure this was spontaneous but I can't imagine for a moment the social media team had nothing to do with it - the photo was printed in colour dozens of times purely for this!
>
> Joe
>
> Joseph Fox
> enwp.org/user:foxj
>

> On 11 August 2014 23:05, Lodewijk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Correct me if i'm wrong, but to the best of my knowledge this was mostly spontaneous during the hackathon? If it was social media team then it wad a job well done, but that ix not how i perceived it.
>>
>> Lodewijk
>>
>> On Aug 11, 2014 12:07 AM, "Joseph Fox" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I’ll agree with that, Tom. It strikes me as the social media team jumping at a chance to go viral - which in fairness is sort of their job. It sucks that these kinds of roles can be as unintentionally dickish as in this case.
>>>
>>> Joe

>>> --
>>> Joseph Fox
>>> Sent with Airmail

Re: Category for monkey selfie of Wikimedians!

Luca Martinelli
Dear Joseph,

I am confident that your point, now that the conference is over, is
clear. Can we please drop this thread, since what is done, is done,
and since that many wikipedians did not share your point of view, and
they made it clear by shooting so many monkey selfies?

Thanks a lot,

L.

> Pretty sure this was spontaneous but I can't imagine for a moment the social
> media team had nothing to do with it - the photo was printed in colour
> dozens of times purely for this!
>
> Joe
>
> Joseph Fox
> enwp.org/user:foxj
>

> On 11 August 2014 23:05, Lodewijk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Correct me if i'm wrong, but to the best of my knowledge this was mostly
>> spontaneous during the hackathon? If it was social media team then it wad a
>> job well done, but that ix not how i perceived it.
>>
>> Lodewijk
>>
>> On Aug 11, 2014 12:07 AM, "Joseph Fox" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I’ll agree with that, Tom. It strikes me as the social media team jumping
>>> at a chance to go viral - which in fairness is sort of their job. It sucks
>>> that these kinds of roles can be as unintentionally dickish as in this case.
>>>
>>> Joe

>>> Agreed. It is rather tacky, juvenile and slightly unpleasant. Be
>>> magnanimous in victory and all that. It'd be nice to know who thought
>>> "take a photo with the monkey selfie" was a useful and productive piece
>>> of free culture activism. Because it just makes us look like mean jerks.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Tom Morris
>>> <http://tommorris.org/>

>>> --
>>> Joseph Fox
>>> Sent with Airmail

Luca "Sannita" Martinelli
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utente:Sannita

Re: Category for monkey selfie of Wikimedians!

Osama Khalid-2
On Fri, Aug 08, 2014 at 11:24:25PM +0100, Thomas Morton wrote:
> But being dicks about winning is surely not the sort of attitude we
> want to display? Hardly helps support our stance as serious, rather
> than trollish.

That photographer who took copyright way too seriously didn't deserve
respect.  It's really silly that when he is actually dragging people
into court, we hesitate to use a simple social defense such as this
one.