Re: Category for monkey selfie of Wikimedians!

Re: Category for monkey selfie of Wikimedians!

Michael Peel-2

> On 12 Aug 2014, at 07:53, Osama Khalid <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Aug 08, 2014 at 11:24:25PM +0100, Thomas Morton wrote:
>> But being dicks about winning is surely not the sort of attitude we
>> want to display? Hardly helps support our stance as serious, rather
>> than trollish.
>
> That photographer who took copyright way too seriously didn't deserve
> respect.  It's really silly that when he is actually dragging people
> into court, we hesitate to use a simple social defense such as this
> one.

Because Wikimedians don't take copyright way too seriously. ;-)

On that note - how sure are we that the post-processing done to the photo was sufficiently minimal to avoid generating a copyright in its own right?

Thanks,
Mike

Re: Category for monkey selfie of Wikimedians!

Pine W
I expect the photographer would have made that claim already if he did significant post-processing and that WMF would have considered this in their decision.

Pine

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 11:57 PM, Mike Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12 Aug 2014, at 07:53, Osama Khalid <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Aug 08, 2014 at 11:24:25PM +0100, Thomas Morton wrote:
>> But being dicks about winning is surely not the sort of attitude we
>> want to display? Hardly helps support our stance as serious, rather
>> than trollish.
>
> That photographer who took copyright way too seriously didn't deserve
> respect.  It's really silly that when he is actually dragging people
> into court, we hesitate to use a simple social defense such as this
> one.

Because Wikimedians don't take copyright way too seriously. ;-)

On that note - how sure are we that the post-processing done to the photo was sufficiently minimal to avoid generating a copyright in its own right?

Thanks,
Mike

Re: Category for monkey selfie of Wikimedians!

Chris McKenna-2
From everything I've read the only post-processing claimed is rotating and cropping.

Ten copies of the photo were printed out and stuck on to boards. As of the end of yesterday 3 had been found among the stuff that made it back to WIkimedia UK (although not all the boxes have been opened yet) suggesting that the monkey selfie may appear in other locations yet.

The photos were printed out by Wikimania staff/volunteers, but who had the idea to do so I don't know.

On 12 August 2014 08:01, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
I expect the photographer would have made that claim already if he did significant post-processing and that WMF would have considered this in their decision.

Pine

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 11:57 PM, Mike Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12 Aug 2014, at 07:53, Osama Khalid <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Aug 08, 2014 at 11:24:25PM +0100, Thomas Morton wrote:
>> But being dicks about winning is surely not the sort of attitude we
>> want to display? Hardly helps support our stance as serious, rather
>> than trollish.
>
> That photographer who took copyright way too seriously didn't deserve
> respect.  It's really silly that when he is actually dragging people
> into court, we hesitate to use a simple social defense such as this
> one.

Because Wikimedians don't take copyright way too seriously. ;-)

On that note - how sure are we that the post-processing done to the photo was sufficiently minimal to avoid generating a copyright in its own right?

Thanks,
Mike

Chris McKenna
Wikimania 2014 Support
Wikimedia UK
[hidden email]

tel: +44 (0) 20 7065 0990

Wikimedia UK is a Charitable Company registered in England and Wales.
Registered Company No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513.
Registered Office: 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom.

Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a global Wikimedia movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).
Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.

Re: Category for monkey selfie of Wikimedians!

John Mark Vandenberg
On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 2:01 PM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I expect the photographer would have made that claim already if he did
> significant post-processing and that WMF would have considered this in their
> decision.

A WMF legal opinion only applies to the WMF, and will be grounded in
the copyright law of the US.

OTOH, the UK copyright law is much less clear in this area, and I get
the impression that the UK chapter didnt obtain their own legal advice
on this issue.

--
John Vandenberg