Re: [Commons-l] Advice Needed

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Rahul Maliakkal, 10/04/2013 19:27:
> As we all know right now uploading an audio file is only possible in
> .ogg format.
>
> In my GSOC project , i plan on adding *.wav support* to commons ,since
> its not patent encumbered i think it should be fine

Context: "Pronunciation Recording Extension"
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Rahul21/Gsoc

> I would like to get the communities feedback on this.

Is the reason that the dependencies you found all require this format?

Nemo

Re: [Commons-l] Advice Needed

Sebastian Hellmann
Well, I guess this should be researched quite well, before investing
time in this feature:

>       WAV
>
> WAVEform audio format <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAV> (WAV) is a
> Microsoft <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft> and IBM
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM> audio file format
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_format> for storing audio on PCs.
> It is the main format used on Microsoft Windows
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Windows> systems for raw audio
> storage. The WAV format is most commonly used with an uncompressed,
> lossless storage method (pulse-code modulation) resulting in
> comparatively large audio files. Today, the WAV audio format is no
> longer popular being superseded by other more efficient means of audio
> storage.^[19]
> <http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/FOSS_Open_Standards/Comparison_of_File_Formats#cite_note-19>

from
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/FOSS_Open_Standards/Comparison_of_File_Formats#WAV

So who wants "wav" files actually, they are normally very large as well.

The legal status is not so obvious. Maybe you even need a lawyer to
judge this correctly.
Again, is .wav really so popular,  that it justifies the effort?

All the best,
Sebastian

Am 10.04.2013 19:40, schrieb Federico Leva (Nemo):

> Rahul Maliakkal, 10/04/2013 19:27:
>> As we all know right now uploading an audio file is only possible in
>> .ogg format.
>>
>> In my GSOC project , i plan on adding *.wav support* to commons ,since
>> its not patent encumbered i think it should be fine
>
> Context: "Pronunciation Recording Extension"
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Rahul21/Gsoc
>
>> I would like to get the communities feedback on this.
>
> Is the reason that the dependencies you found all require this format?
>
> Nemo

Dipl. Inf. Sebastian Hellmann
Projects: http://nlp2rdf.org , http://linguistics.okfn.org ,
http://dbpedia.org/Wiktionary , http://dbpedia.org
Homepage: http://bis.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/SebastianHellmann
Research Group: http://aksw.org

Re: [Commons-l] Advice Needed

Amgine-3

On 10/04/13 02:22 PM, Sebastian Hellmann wrote:
> Well, I guess this should be researched quite well, before
> investing time in this feature:

> from
> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/FOSS_Open_Standards/Comparison_of_File_Formats#WAV
>

> So who wants "wav" files actually, they are normally very large as
> well.
>
> The legal status is not so obvious. Maybe you even need a lawyer
> to judge this correctly. Again, is .wav really so popular,  that it
> justifies the effort?
>
> All the best, Sebastian

wav, being lossless and uncompressed, is popularly used as a 'staging
format' by many varieties of software. It is likely Rahul is
interested in using wav because that is the raw output codec of an
existing js recording library, and so the script would not need to
further process the data.

I believe you might guess from the wav standard being included in the
wikibook on FOSS Open Standards that while the standard is maintained
by Microsoft and IBM, it is not encumbered by licenses for writing
tools to use it.

On the other hand, Commons does not currently allow wav files.  "On
Wikimedia Commons, the file types we accept are: Ogg (using FLAC,
Speex, Opus or Vorbis codecs), WebM (using Vorbis), or MIDI (with
extension .mid)"[1] Rather than spend time petitioning commons to
support wav files, I would suggest the tool be implemented with the
current regime. Keeping the format-shifting a modular system may allow
for future changes to the commons regime.

Amgine

[1] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:File_types#Sound

Re: [Commons-l] Advice Needed

mathieu lovato stumpf guntz
Le 2013-04-10 19:40, Federico Leva (Nemo) a écrit :

> Rahul Maliakkal, 10/04/2013 19:27:
>> As we all know right now uploading an audio file is only possible in
>> .ogg format.
>>
>> In my GSOC project , i plan on adding *.wav support* to commons
>> ,since
>> its not patent encumbered i think it should be fine
>
> Context: "Pronunciation Recording Extension"
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Rahul21/Gsoc
>
>> I would like to get the communities feedback on this.
>
> Is the reason that the dependencies you found all require this
> format?
>
> Nemo

As a side work, could you spend some time on gathering information on
the state of speech synthesis free sofwares ?
You can check
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiktionary_future#Speech_synthesis. for
a longer explanation of this topic.

--