Re: Coordinating Google translation kit articles

Re: Coordinating Google translation kit articles

Ravi shankar-12
Hi all,

regarding the mail below:

Sundar and I have initiated contacts with Google on coordinating their article contributions.

Google has agreed in principle for the demands below.

We hope we can update all Indian Wikis about the progress in this collaboration, say in a month or two. Then it may be a good model for all Indian Wikis to follow. So, it may be a good idea for all Indian Wikis to wait during this period so Google need not have to do the same consensus evolving approach with many wikis.

Thanks,

ravi

Re: Coordinating Google translation kit articles

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
While there may be reasons to wait for Google, there is nothing stopping you to use this time to localise for your language ... As you may have read on my blog, the localisation for mobile MediaWiki is now also complete for Bangla, for Telugu there are four messages left to do.
Thanks
    GerardM

http://ultimategerardm.blogspot.com

On 22 February 2010 10:19, Ravi shankar <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Your friend in time,

Cherian/Srikanth/R/

Wikipedia on YOUR MIND? Join us on Twitter....

Re: Coordinating Google translation kit articles

Shiju Alex
There should be proper co-ordination between each language community and the Google.

In Malayalam Wikipedia, we already tried collaborative translation of some English Wiki articles 2 years back. But that was a failure and we dropped that. One of the main issue with word-to-word translation is that the entire article will have the sentences constructed with artificial words and phrases. The reader will run away from that type of articles.

If there is no proper agreement between wiki community and Google the community may resist. For the sake of Google translation, Wikis should not not be flooded with articles. Some wikis might be interested in using this service to increase the article count. But not all communities will agree to that.

The problem of paid translation and word-to-word translation are many. Each language community might have different issues regarding word-to-word translation/paid translation. Each of them need to be addressed separately.

So it is very important that Google agrees to the point mentioned in the below mail, and there should be proper communication between Google and respective language communities.

Shiju

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 2:49 PM, Ravi shankar <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

regarding the mail below:

Sundar and I have initiated contacts with Google on coordinating their article contributions.

Google has agreed in principle for the demands below.

We hope we can update all Indian Wikis about the progress in this collaboration, say in a month or two. Then it may be a good model for all Indian Wikis to follow. So, it may be a good idea for all Indian Wikis to wait during this period so Google need not have to do the same consensus evolving approach with many wikis.

Thanks,

ravi

Re: Coordinating Google translation kit articles

Srikanth Ramakrishnan
Shiju,
Can't we just go ahead normally? If these Google guys make mistakes, we just correct them and go on. If they resist, then explain or warn them?
Regards,

On 23 February 2010 21:08, Shiju Alex <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Jyothis Edathoot-2
While we welcome the efforts and contributions, all wikis may not be equipped with enuf active users to handle such a  flood. if a flood of low quality articles or translations come by, such projects may take (much) longer to recover and regain the drop of quality. While quantity benefits out of such a flood, that may end up compromising the quality of the wiki. It may not always in th interest of the local community.

Regards,
Jyothis.
Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 23, 2010, at 3:03 PM, Srikanth Ramakrishnan <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Casey Brown-5
On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 4:19 AM, Ravi shankar <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> 1. Google should appoint one coordinator each for every Indian language wiki
>> where they contribute articles. This coordinator should be available to
>> reach by mail and be adequately responsive (Say, once a week at least). He
>> will take feedback from the wiki community and pass it to the paid
>> contributors.

It's probably best that they subscribe to this list too.

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

Re: Coordinating Google translation kit articles

Srikanth Ramakrishnan
Well, if I am correct Tinucherian does have the email of Mr. Jagjit or Mr. Srinidhi, who represented Google at the December Wikipedia Bangalore Meetup, if we can get these guys to like, sign up for this list, then We're all for it ...