Re: Deleting unused accounts

Bugzilla from sy1234@gmail.com
On 1/4/06, Rob Church <[hidden email]> wrote:
> About an hour ago, I checked in a PHP script which checks the database
> for users who haven't made edits, and deletes them. It runs from the
> command line (phpShell seems fine with it, too) and works relatively
> quickly.

Other feature ideas:

* Delete a specific user
* Delete a regex of users -- build the list and display it, and then
ask for confirmation on that list (probably an overkill feature)
* Perform deletions based on their last visit -- i.e. delete a user
which hasn't visited in x amount of time.
* Email a user that is to be deleted.  "Hi there, you haven't visited
example.com so your account has been automatically deleted."

There is no real inline functionality to pull up an overview list of
users and display information about their last login, last edit or the
like.. a separate script to do that would be cool.  Then the deletion
script could use the user display script to get its information, and
act accordingly.

All of that available through mediawiki itself would be cool.  Is it
possible to have a special page which acts as a simple gateway to any
script in the maintenance directory?

Re: Deleting unused accounts

Rob Church
Oooh, feedback...

* I'm working on a simple DeleteUser special page. It's got pushed to
the back burner due to other concerns right now, but I'll check it in
at some point.

* I was toying with the idea of deleting users who hadn't edited
within a certain time period as it is...

Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep it all in mind for the next incarnation. ;-)

Rob Church

On 07/01/06, Sy Ali <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/4/06, Rob Church <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > About an hour ago, I checked in a PHP script which checks the database
> > for users who haven't made edits, and deletes them. It runs from the
> > command line (phpShell seems fine with it, too) and works relatively
> > quickly.
>
> Other feature ideas:
>
> * Delete a specific user
> * Delete a regex of users -- build the list and display it, and then
> ask for confirmation on that list (probably an overkill feature)
> * Perform deletions based on their last visit -- i.e. delete a user
> which hasn't visited in x amount of time.
> * Email a user that is to be deleted.  "Hi there, you haven't visited
> example.com so your account has been automatically deleted."
>
> There is no real inline functionality to pull up an overview list of
> users and display information about their last login, last edit or the
> like.. a separate script to do that would be cool.  Then the deletion
> script could use the user display script to get its information, and
> act accordingly.
>
> All of that available through mediawiki itself would be cool.  Is it
> possible to have a special page which acts as a simple gateway to any
> script in the maintenance directory?

Re: Deleting unused accounts

Kyle Lutze
is the plan to have this lock usernames too? I think it would be cool to
make a page that says: user account unavailible due to such and such
reason, like all of the accounts that try to impersonate jimbo that
curps keeps blocking, etc. possibly blocking other names that have a 99%
chance of being used as a sockpuppet account in the future too? such as
by sollog.

Just a though.
Kyle

Rob Church wrote:

> Oooh, feedback...
>
> * I'm working on a simple DeleteUser special page. It's got pushed to
> the back burner due to other concerns right now, but I'll check it in
> at some point.
>
> * I was toying with the idea of deleting users who hadn't edited
> within a certain time period as it is...
>
> Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep it all in mind for the next incarnation. ;-)
>

> Rob Church
>
> On 07/01/06, Sy Ali <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>On 1/4/06, Rob Church <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>>About an hour ago, I checked in a PHP script which checks the database
>>>for users who haven't made edits, and deletes them. It runs from the
>>>command line (phpShell seems fine with it, too) and works relatively
>>>quickly.
>>
>>Other feature ideas:
>>
>>* Delete a specific user
>>* Delete a regex of users -- build the list and display it, and then
>>ask for confirmation on that list (probably an overkill feature)
>>* Perform deletions based on their last visit -- i.e. delete a user
>>which hasn't visited in x amount of time.
>>* Email a user that is to be deleted.  "Hi there, you haven't visited
>>example.com so your account has been automatically deleted."
>>
>>There is no real inline functionality to pull up an overview list of
>>users and display information about their last login, last edit or the
>>like.. a separate script to do that would be cool.  Then the deletion
>>script could use the user display script to get its information, and
>>act accordingly.
>>
>>All of that available through mediawiki itself would be cool.  Is it
>>possible to have a special page which acts as a simple gateway to any
>>script in the maintenance directory?

Re: Deleting unused accounts

Rob Church
Er, no...this is a maintenance script to delete unused accounts from
the database. ;-)

Rob Church

On 1/7/06, Kyle Lutze <[hidden email]> wrote:
> is the plan to have this lock usernames too? I think it would be cool to
> make a page that says: user account unavailible due to such and such
> reason, like all of the accounts that try to impersonate jimbo that
> curps keeps blocking, etc. possibly blocking other names that have a 99%
> chance of being used as a sockpuppet account in the future too? such as
> by sollog.

That would be a good feature request for mediawiki itself.

Maybe a list of regexes of usernames.  I could think of a number of
cussword or political usernames which ought to be banned.

This would be important for particularly high-popularity wikis.  I
wouldn't need to use it, but it would be a sensible feature to see.

With a basic search, it looks like this feature has not been requested yet:
http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=specific&order=relevance+desc&bug_status=__open__&product=&content=username+blacklist

Request it.. report back, and I'll vote on it.  =)