Re: Digital Universe

Daniel P. B. Smith
> Subject: [WikiEN-l] Did I miss the great Digital Universe debate?
>
> I mean [[Digital Universe]], which will be WP in Technicolor
> without errors
> or trolls, or something?  I realise userboxes must be more
> significant ...

I'm not sure I've got it all figured out, but... according to http://
www.digitaluniverse.net/participate/ , "While participation in
discussion about the Digital Universe is free, we do require that you
have a registered account with us. You can also download the free
ManyOne browser..."

The free ManyOne browser, which apparently embodies technology needed
to participate, is only available for Windows 2000 or Windows XP.

While "participation in discussion about the Digital Universe" may be
"free," according to http://isp.earthportal.net/ it appears that
getting that "registered account" costs $7.95 a month.

I have no idea what they think they're doing, but I am not impressed.

Re: Re: Digital Universe

Fred Bauder
You don't have to buy any of it.

Fred

On Jan 8, 2006, at 12:48 PM, Daniel P. B. Smith wrote:

>> Subject: [WikiEN-l] Did I miss the great Digital Universe debate?
>>
>> I mean [[Digital Universe]], which will be WP in Technicolor
>> without errors
>> or trolls, or something?  I realise userboxes must be more
>> significant ...
>>

> I'm not sure I've got it all figured out, but... according to
> http://www.digitaluniverse.net/participate/ , "While participation
> in discussion about the Digital Universe is free, we do require
> that you have a registered account with us. You can also download
> the free ManyOne browser..."
>
> The free ManyOne browser, which apparently embodies technology
> needed to participate, is only available for Windows 2000 or
> Windows XP.
>
> While "participation in discussion about the Digital Universe" may
> be "free," according to http://isp.earthportal.net/ it appears that
> getting that "registered account" costs $7.95 a month.
>
> I have no idea what they think they're doing, but I am not impressed.

Re: Re: Digital Universe

Geoffrey Burling
On Sun, 8 Jan 2006, Daniel P. B. Smith wrote:

> I'm not sure I've got it all figured out, but... according to http://
> www.digitaluniverse.net/participate/ , "While participation in
> discussion about the Digital Universe is free, we do require that you
> have a registered account with us. You can also download the free
> ManyOne browser..."
>
> The free ManyOne browser, which apparently embodies technology needed
> to participate, is only available for Windows 2000 or Windows XP.

I'm surprised by that one. I just happen to know of the developers who
is (or was) working on this project for LMS -- who happens to be a
member not only of the local Linux group here, but also of the local
you-have-to-pay-dues-to-belong Linux business organization.

Then again, he might have been working on the server end of the site, &
not on the browser (which, dollars against donuts is likely a slightly
tweaked variant of IE or Firefox).

Geoff