Re: Durova's real name

WJhonson
Durova, in an interview, posted on YouTube, states her own real full  name.

The identification of Durova, is now strewn widely across the  internet.

Can we not repeat her own real full name in-Wiki ?

Will Johnson

favorites at AOL Food.

Re: Durova's real name

Todd Allen
On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 7:30 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Durova, in an interview, posted on YouTube, states her own real full  name.
>
> The identification of Durova, is now strewn widely across the  internet.
>
> Can we not repeat her own real full name in-Wiki ?
>
> Will Johnson
>

> **************Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family
> favorites at AOL Food.

I know her real name, and have for some time. That doesn't mean we
need to publicize it further.

I don't particularly care if someone uses my real name, after all, I
use it on a public mailing list, so I don't particularly intend to
keep it a secret. But if I said "Please do not use my real name
on-wiki," I would -still- expect those wishes to be respected.

--
Freedom is the right to say that 2+2=4. From this all else follows.

Re: Durova's real name

Sarah-128
On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 8:30 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Durova, in an interview, posted on YouTube, states her own real full  name.
>
>  The identification of Durova, is now strewn widely across the  internet.
>
>  Can we not repeat her own real full name in-Wiki ?
>
>  Will Johnson

I can't see any reason to publish her name onwiki if she doesn't want
it (and I don't know whether she does).

It does get harder to maintain a right to pseudonymity if you're
deliberately linking your real name to the pseudonym elsewhere, but
I'd still say if there's no need to post the real name onwiki, and the
person doesn't want it, we should err in their favor.

Sarah

Re: Durova's real name

Steve Summit
This strikes me as a rampantly imponderable question.

On the one hand, if Durova had in fact revealed her real name
publicly, it seems to me she has little right to object to people
using it.

But on the other hand, if she objects to people using it, it
seems to me one would have to be a real churl to insist on doing
so anyway.

Re: Durova's real name

White Cat
We should avoid obsessing with other peoples personal information unless
there is an article about them on the article namespace.

   - White Cat

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 4:30 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Durova, in an interview, posted on YouTube, states her own real full  name.
>
> The identification of Durova, is now strewn widely across the  internet.
>
> Can we not repeat her own real full name in-Wiki ?
>
> Will Johnson
>

> **************Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family
> favorites at AOL Food.

Re: Durova's real name

Ray Saintonge
SlimVirgin wrote:

> On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 8:30 PM,  wrote:
>
>> Durova, in an interview, posted on YouTube, states her own real full  name.
>>
>>  The identification of Durova, is now strewn widely across the  internet.
>>
>>  Can we not repeat her own real full name in-Wiki ?
>>
> I can't see any reason to publish her name onwiki if she doesn't want
> it (and I don't know whether she does).
>
> It does get harder to maintain a right to pseudonymity if you're
> deliberately linking your real name to the pseudonym elsewhere, but
> I'd still say if there's no need to post the real name onwiki, and the
> person doesn't want it, we should err in their favor.
I generally support this view, and it seems that most of us who are
willing to respect another editor as a person would do that naturally.
If we know her name, so what?  Those whose motives I would most distrust
are the ones who would persist in startlingly unnecessary actions or
revelations.

Ec

Re: Durova's real name

White Cat
Also people assume she used the real name, it could still be a pseudonym...

   - White Cat

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 7:55 AM, Ray Saintonge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> SlimVirgin wrote:
> > On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 8:30 PM,  wrote:
> >
> >> Durova, in an interview, posted on YouTube, states her own real full
>  name.
> >>
> >>  The identification of Durova, is now strewn widely across the
>  internet.
> >>
> >>  Can we not repeat her own real full name in-Wiki ?
> >>
> > I can't see any reason to publish her name onwiki if she doesn't want
> > it (and I don't know whether she does).
> >
> > It does get harder to maintain a right to pseudonymity if you're
> > deliberately linking your real name to the pseudonym elsewhere, but
> > I'd still say if there's no need to post the real name onwiki, and the
> > person doesn't want it, we should err in their favor.
> I generally support this view, and it seems that most of us who are
> willing to respect another editor as a person would do that naturally.
> If we know her name, so what?  Those whose motives I would most distrust
> are the ones who would persist in startlingly unnecessary actions or
> revelations.
>
> Ec

Re: Durova's real name

Majorly
2008/5/18 <[hidden email]>:

> Durova, in an interview, posted on YouTube, states her own real full  name.
>
> The identification of Durova, is now strewn widely across the  internet.
>
> Can we not repeat her own real full name in-Wiki ?

I'm not entirely sure why you'd ever need to use her real name on-wiki.
She's known as Durova, as much as I am known as Majorly/Al Tally. I use my
real name on these lists and some other places, but never on-wiki, and
personally I'd prefer people didn't use it.

--
Alex Newman
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Majorly

Re: Durova's real name

Anthony-73
On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 9:30 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Durova, in an interview, posted on YouTube, states her own real full  name.
>
> The identification of Durova, is now strewn widely across the  internet.
>
> Can we not repeat her own real full name in-Wiki ?

As the projects have not adopted any sort of real name policy, I'd say
it's up to her.

Personally I do find it somewhat annoying, but I don't see any reason
why we shouldn't respect her wishes.  Do you?

Anthony

Re: Durova's real name

Thomas Dalton
> Durova, in an interview, posted on YouTube, states her own real full  name.
>
>  The identification of Durova, is now strewn widely across the  internet.
>
>  Can we not repeat her own real full name in-Wiki ?

I would say you could use her real full name on-wiki, but only if
doing so significantly aids the project in some way (and that seems
unlikely). All else being equal, there is no reason not to follow her
wishes.

Re: Durova's real name

Matthew Brown-5
On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 6:26 AM, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I would say you could use her real full name on-wiki, but only if
> doing so significantly aids the project in some way (and that seems
> unlikely). All else being equal, there is no reason not to follow her
> wishes.

Agreed.  It is polite to refer to people as they wish to be addressed,
within reasonable bounds.  Deliberately using someone's real name
instead of their chosen handle is uncivil unless there's good reason
to do so.

-Matt

Re: Durova's real name

Casey Brown-3
On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 9:30 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Durova, in an interview, posted on YouTube, states her own real full  name.
>
> The identification of Durova, is now strewn widely across the  internet.
>
> Can we not repeat her own real full name in-Wiki ?
>
> Will Johnson

I do have to say that I appreciate you not using her real name in this
post, but I have no idea why you spammed it to so many (some
off-topic) mailing lists.

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.

Re: Durova's real name

Anthony-73
On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 1:54 PM, Matthew Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 6:26 AM, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I would say you could use her real full name on-wiki, but only if
>> doing so significantly aids the project in some way (and that seems
>> unlikely). All else being equal, there is no reason not to follow her
>> wishes.
>
> Agreed.  It is polite to refer to people as they wish to be addressed,
> within reasonable bounds.  Deliberately using someone's real name
> instead of their chosen handle is uncivil unless there's good reason
> to do so.

Really?  I'd say the default position is that it's fine to use
someone's real first name when addressing them, if that name is
publicly known and unless they have requested otherwise.

In this particular case I know that User:Durova does object to being
referred to by her name.  So I respect that, and I generally try not
to use her name at all, pseudonym or otherwise, because I feel silly
referring to someone by their handle.

This said, "Durova" is at least a semi-reasonable handle.  If someone
requested that I refer to them on-wiki as "Lord Voldemort" I think I'd
have to refuse.  I say this with apologies to [[User:Lord Voldemort]].

Re: Durova's real name

WJhonson

In a message dated 5/18/2008 11:12:59 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
[hidden email] writes:

I do  have to say that I appreciate you not using her real name in this
post, but  I have no idea why you spammed it to so many (some
off-topic) mailing  lists.>>

That was a mistake.  I pulled up an old email and just responded to  it,
changing the subject line, without noticing that it had so many cc's.

Will Johnson

favorites at AOL Food.

Re: Durova's real name

Simon Walker-4
2008/5/18 Majorly <[hidden email]>:

> I'm not entirely sure why you'd ever need to use her real name on-wiki.
> She's known as Durova, as much as I am known as Majorly/Al Tally. I use my
> real name on these lists and some other places, but never on-wiki, and
> personally I'd prefer people didn't use it.
>
> --
> Alex Newman
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Majorly
to me on-wiki. While this is a public list, to some extent it's still
private, because I doubt many people who aren't wikipedians themselves have
signed up to this list. Still, back to the point, I feel that Durova's
identity should be kept quiet. If Durova wants to reveal her identity, then
she can do it herself - she is quite capable of that. She does not need
someone else to publicise it for her.

Stwalkerster

Re: Durova's real name

WJhonson
In a message dated 5/18/2008 1:19:17 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
[hidden email] writes:

Still,  back to the point, I feel that Durova's
identity should be kept quiet. If  Durova wants to reveal her identity, then
she can do it herself - she is  quite capable of that. She does not need
someone else to publicise it for  her.>>
-----
She has revealed her identity.
Just not on-wiki.
In an interview, speaking as a Wikipedian, she identifies with her on-wiki
name and her off-wiki name.

That's the point of this thread.  Not that someone *found out* who she  was
surrepticiously, but that she herself revealed it.

Will Johnson

favorites at AOL Food.

Re: Durova's real name

Todd Allen
On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 3:01 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In a message dated 5/18/2008 1:19:17 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
> [hidden email] writes:
>
> Still,  back to the point, I feel that Durova's
> identity should be kept quiet. If  Durova wants to reveal her identity, then
> she can do it herself - she is  quite capable of that. She does not need
> someone else to publicise it for  her.>>
> -----
> She has revealed her identity.
> Just not on-wiki.
> In an interview, speaking as a Wikipedian, she identifies with her on-wiki
> name and her off-wiki name.
>
> That's the point of this thread.  Not that someone *found out* who she  was
> surrepticiously, but that she herself revealed it.
>
> Will Johnson
>

> **************Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family
> favorites at AOL Food.

And so she did. That does not change the fact that, if she prefers to
be referred to as "Durova" on-wiki, we should respect that wish. Why
shouldn't we?

--
Freedom is the right to say that 2+2=4. From this all else follows.

Re: Durova's real name

michael west-3
2008/5/18 Todd Allen <[hidden email]>:

> On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 3:01 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > In a message dated 5/18/2008 1:19:17 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
> > [hidden email] writes:
> >
> > Still,  back to the point, I feel that Durova's
> > identity should be kept quiet. If  Durova wants to reveal her identity,
> then
> > she can do it herself - she is  quite capable of that. She does not need
> > someone else to publicise it for  her.>>
> > -----
> > She has revealed her identity.
> > Just not on-wiki.
> > In an interview, speaking as a Wikipedian, she identifies with her
> on-wiki
> > name and her off-wiki name.
> >
> > That's the point of this thread.  Not that someone *found out* who she
>  was
> > surrepticiously, but that she herself revealed it.
> >
> > Will Johnson
> >

> > **************Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on
> family
> > favorites at AOL Food.
> > (http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight?NCID=aolfod00030000000001)
> >

> And so she did. That does not change the fact that, if she prefers to
> be referred to as "Durova" on-wiki, we should respect that wish. Why
> shouldn't we?

Is this a wind up? I thought Durova was some Russian guy who learns us
badsites. Before anyone else outs 'emselves could they at least post under a
new name.

Re: Durova's real name

Majorly
2008/5/18 <[hidden email]>:

> She has revealed her identity.
> Just not on-wiki.
> In an interview, speaking as a Wikipedian, she identifies with her on-wiki
> name and her off-wiki name.
>
> That's the point of this thread.  Not that someone *found out* who she  was
> surrepticiously, but that she herself revealed it.
>
> Will Johnson

I have revealed my identity. That doesn't mean you have the right to start
spreading it around.

2008/5/18 Anthony <[hidden email]>:

>  This said, "Durova" is at least a semi-reasonable handle.  If someone
>  requested that I refer to them on-wiki as "Lord Voldemort" I think I'd
>  have to refuse.  I say this with apologies to [[User:Lord Voldemort]].

You could call him "Tom", though he might fly into a rage and turn you
into a newt ...

- d.