Re: Editing sessions in the new year

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Editing sessions in the new year

WereSpielChequers-2
I'm in, but please not a basement. I have mobile broadband and if I remember to bring it the WiFi will work and it won't be needed.

But mobile broadband abhors basements.

WSC

On 9 December 2011 22:28, Charles Matthews <[hidden email]> wrote:


On 9 December 2011 22:14, HJ Mitchell <[hidden email]> wrote:
My experience of running similar events for WMUK is that if it has WiFi and chairs, we can make it work. A basement could work well if it meets those two criteria.


I've seen the chairs; wifi is hearsay.

Charles 

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org



_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Editing sessions in the new year

Fae-6
On 10 December 2011 11:18, WereSpielChequers
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm in, but please not a basement. I have mobile broadband and if I remember
> to bring it the WiFi will work and it won't be needed.
>
> But mobile broadband abhors basements.
>
> WSC

To clarify the "basement" at the Old Street offices is a very nice
space with modern business quality meeting rooms and a social
sitting/breakout area with vending machines. There is wifi as well as
RJ11 points for broadband (good for Skype?) in the meeting rooms and
screens to project on for a shared discussion. There are 3 meeting
rooms and 2 can be joined to hold 24 people comfortably.

The space is free and we have the benefit of 4 office desks and an
equipped kitchen upstairs (with wifi available and a nice view if
anyone *really* can't stand being in the basement or is desperate to
use their mobile; not sure if a mobile signal works in the basement or
not).

Please email Richard as per this email if you would like him to
confirm any further layout or technical details.

Cheers,
Fae

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

OTRS workshop

HJ Mitchell
Is it safe to say that the weekend of 7-8 January is going to be the date for the OTRS workshop? It seems to have been pencilled in but without being widely publicised. I'll put a geonotice up if we have a date and a venue.

Harry

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OTRS workshop

Gordon Joly
On 11/12/2011 22:57, HJ Mitchell wrote:
Is it safe to say that the weekend of 7-8 January is going to be the date for the OTRS workshop? It seems to have been pencilled in but without being widely publicised. I'll put a geonotice up if we have a date and a venue.

Harry
I believe that something is cooking for the weekend of 14th and 15th January as well...

Gordon

-- 

Gordon Joly
[hidden email]
http://www.joly.org.uk/
Don't Leave Space To The Professionals!

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Editing sessions in the new year

Chris Keating-2
In reply to this post by Fae-6
I was talking to Gordon Joly and Philafrenzy about this at the Wikimeet and I think the collective feeling was that contact before and after an editing session is important as well as the event itself.

I can certainly think of events where lots of people have turned up, but none of the new wannabe Wikipedians has gone on to contribute after the event - perhaps this could be improved by some friendly emails afterwards offering to continue the help offered on the day.

I think we're definitely learning more about how we do these things, and hopefully these events - whatever form they end up taking - will continue that. 

Chris

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Editing sessions in the new year

Roger Bamkin
Suggest the first session might fulfil three needs

1. Get some people trained (ie see above) as a trial to see what skills they need.
2. Get these people started and get them some buddies. The U.S. Campus ambassadors have a virtual help room where people can ask for help
3. Work out how this expands ... because it is going to and we will quickly run out of helpers and organisers if we don't make it scale (I can hear a voice saying "train the trainers")

4. OK lets not foget 1.

Roger

On 12 December 2011 22:44, Chris Keating <[hidden email]> wrote:
I was talking to Gordon Joly and Philafrenzy about this at the Wikimeet and I think the collective feeling was that contact before and after an editing session is important as well as the event itself.

I can certainly think of events where lots of people have turned up, but none of the new wannabe Wikipedians has gone on to contribute after the event - perhaps this could be improved by some friendly emails afterwards offering to continue the help offered on the day.

I think we're definitely learning more about how we do these things, and hopefully these events - whatever form they end up taking - will continue that. 

Chris

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org




--
Roger Bamkin
01332 702993
0758 2020815
Google+:Victuallers
Skype:Victuallers1
Flickr:Victuallers2


_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OTRS workshop

Michael Peel-4
In reply to this post by HJ Mitchell

On 11 Dec 2011, at 22:57, HJ Mitchell wrote:

> Is it safe to say that the weekend of 7-8 January is going to be the date for the OTRS workshop? It seems to have been pencilled in but without being widely publicised. I'll put a geonotice up if we have a date and a venue.

Yes - those dates are now confirmed, and we've booked meetings rooms at the WMUK office. If someone could put up a geonotice advertising the workshop, that would be fantastic. It might be worth covering a larger-than-normal geographical area for this, given the rarity of these workshops, potential interest from the continent, and ease of travel from the continent (e.g. it's cheaper and easier to travel to London from Paris than Glasgow...)?

On 12 Dec 2011, at 16:48, Gordon Joly wrote:

> I believe that something is cooking for the weekend of 14th and 15th January as well...

Cool - will this be going above and beyond the regular London wikimeet?

Thanks,
Mike


_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Editing sessions in the new year

Gordon Joly
In reply to this post by Chris Keating-2
On 12/12/2011 22:44, Chris Keating wrote:

> I was talking to Gordon Joly and Philafrenzy about this at the
> Wikimeet and I think the collective feeling was that contact before
> and after an editing session is important as well as the event itself.
>
> I can certainly think of events where lots of people have turned up,
> but none of the new wannabe Wikipedians has gone on to contribute
> after the event - perhaps this could be improved by some friendly
> emails afterwards offering to continue the help offered on the day.
>
> I think we're definitely learning more about how we do these things,
> and hopefully these events - whatever form they end up taking - will
> continue that.
>
> Chris

Yes, we should be a little more formal. Assess skills (and requirements)
before the event, and get proper feedback on the session, and then a few
weeks later.

Also, stick to a standard package to be delivered (they already exist?).
As I mentioned on Sunday, I spent four two hour sessions with a local
community group (a few years back) teaching very basic wiki skills. I
had installed Mediawiki, with a view to using it as a blog, website and
later a community archive.

Note: we did not go anywhere near Wikipedia. I was training them in
editing skills alone, using Mediawiki. A few years before that (ten
years ago?) we had used TWiki for another project in the same community.
Hence, we did not cover the standards and procedures Wikipedia (e.g. The
Five Pillars).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWiki

Gordo

--

Gordon Joly
[hidden email]
http://www.joly.org.uk/
Don't Leave Space To The Professionals!


_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OTRS workshop

Gordon Joly
In reply to this post by Michael Peel-4
On 13/12/2011 00:48, Michael Peel wrote:
> On 12 Dec 2011, at 16:48, Gordon Joly wrote:
>
>> >  I believe that something is cooking for the weekend of 14th and 15th January as well...
> Cool - will this be going above and beyond the regular London wikimeet?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
Rumours of a 2 day "unconference" coupled with the London Wikimeet....

Gordo

--

Gordon Joly
[hidden email]
http://www.joly.org.uk/
Don't Leave Space To The Professionals!


_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OTRS workshop

HJ Mitchell
In reply to this post by Michael Peel-4

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: HJ Mitchell <[hidden email]>
To: Michael Peel <[hidden email]>
Sent: Tuesday, 13 December 2011, 13:38
Subject: Re: [Wikimediauk-l] OTRS workshop

I've put a geonotice up, but it only reaches the UK - my technical skills do not extend to finding coordinates for European IP addresses and translating that into something that won't get me yelled at for breaking the geonotice! ;) If anybody knows how to do it but lacks admin tools to edit the MediaWiki page, ping me.

Since OTRS is cross-Wikimedia, we should probably publicise this on Meta, but I don't know where specifically. I'll also send it to the OTRS mailing list.

Harry 


From: Michael Peel <[hidden email]>
To: HJ Mitchell <[hidden email]>; [hidden email]
Sent: Tuesday, 13 December 2011, 0:48
Subject: Re: [Wikimediauk-l] OTRS workshop


On 11 Dec 2011, at 22:57, HJ Mitchell wrote:

> Is it safe to say that the weekend of 7-8 January is going to be the date for the OTRS workshop? It seems to have been pencilled in but without being widely publicised. I'll put a geonotice up if we have a date and a venue.

Yes - those dates are now confirmed, and we've booked meetings rooms at the WMUK office. If someone could put up a geonotice advertising the workshop, that would be fantastic. It might be worth covering a larger-than-normal geographical area for this, given the rarity of these workshops, potential interest from the continent, and ease of travel from the continent (e.g. it's cheaper and easier to travel to London from Paris than Glasgow...)?

On 12 Dec 2011, at 16:48, Gordon Joly wrote:

> I believe that something is cooking for the weekend of 14th and 15th January as well...

Cool - will this be going above and beyond the regular London wikimeet?

Thanks,
Mike






_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Editor retention

Rich Farmbrough
In reply to this post by Gordon Joly
I have recently watched the SG presentation to WMUK, and I think the
only way to improve editor retention is to watch some stories, and
change the systems. I have today undeleted an admittedly rather crap
article, but which was no way a candidate for speedy as vandalism, and
changed the wording of one of the warning templates.  (All spurred by
the user pages of the dozen editors I welcomed while listening to Sue.)  
These are, however somewhat random activities.

As you may know I have attempted to champion simplicity in a hundred
different ways, with more success in some cases than others. This
together with a more welcoming culture is the key.  The cultural problem
is two-fold, firstly systems are more abrasive than we would like,
template wording etc, and secondly some editors are less welcoming than
we would like.  Most of this is for good reason, mainly dealing with
years of vandals and trolls, but it has to change - and in a way this
would be a reversion to earlier culture, though there never was a golden
age, there was certainly a more vociferous party urging us down that route.

How can we promote this change effectively?


_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Editor retention

Harry Burt
Does anyone know how the idea that we might limit article creation to autoconfirmed users whilst directing non-autoconfirmed users to a special holding area (AfC or similar) evolved once the Foundation refused to endorse it as stated?

--
Harry Burt (User:Jarry1250)

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 9:10 PM, Richard Farmbrough <[hidden email]> wrote:
[snip]

How can we promote this change effectively?



_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Editor retention

Chris Keating-2
In reply to this post by Rich Farmbrough
It's good to see this conversation starting!

In Sue's presentation she made the point that the Foundation would value help from the chapters in addressing the editor retention problem. Some of us on the Board have been scratching our heads about this as we do even less on-wiki than the Foundation does, and the value of us passing a Board resolution saying editor decline is very bad and someone should do something about it is limited. ;-)

So as well as thoughts on what the community as a whole can do, it would be useful to hear views on what the Chapter in particular might usefully do.

Chris



_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Editor retention

HJ Mitchell
From a chapter perspective, getting people aware that the chapter exists and that some Wikipedians do things in "real life" might help encourage retention by getting people along to meetups, events, etc where they can meet and talk to other Wikipedians.

Just an idea.

Harry


From: Chris Keating <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Sent: Wednesday, 4 January 2012, 21:30
Subject: Re: [Wikimediauk-l] Editor retention

It's good to see this conversation starting!

In Sue's presentation she made the point that the Foundation would value help from the chapters in addressing the editor retention problem. Some of us on the Board have been scratching our heads about this as we do even less on-wiki than the Foundation does, and the value of us passing a Board resolution saying editor decline is very bad and someone should do something about it is limited. ;-)

So as well as thoughts on what the community as a whole can do, it would be useful to hear views on what the Chapter in particular might usefully do.

Chris



_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org



_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Editor retention

Charles Matthews


On 4 January 2012 21:40, HJ Mitchell <[hidden email]> wrote:
From a chapter perspective, getting people aware that the chapter exists and that some Wikipedians do things in "real life" might help encourage retention by getting people along to meetups, events, etc where they can meet and talk to other Wikipedians.


I would say that's true enough: incrementally, getting editors to treat other editors onwiki as colleagues, rather than scolding them as a matter of course, is helped by meeting them IRL. And for that a range of events is a plus. Not all held in pubs, given that many editors are under drinking age, or otherwise not comfortable with the setting.

It's that time of year for New Year's Resolutions, and no doubt we should all make some and mean them. I think the WMUK Board could ponder their communications and outreach strategy in that light. "Editor retention" has a fair bit to do with _how_ people get involved in the projects (with what aims, what background and preparation, in particular). 

It's a big discussion actually, but if Chris feels the chapter's work is somehow disconnected from onwiki stuff, then it should be gone over in detail. (Examples that come to mind are the localisation issues around a couple of prominent ideas that have come from outside the UK.)

Charles



_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org