Re: Effect of Index

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Effect of Index

WJhonson
Why couldn't a person simply scan userspace using all sorts of  searches on
"the" and "and" and so on, and simply repost the entire contents  with deep
links to an external indexed page?
 
No indexing and then allowing internal searches anyway seems like hiding an
 elephant behind a bucket.
 
 
**************A bad credit score is 600 & below. Checking won't affect your
score. See now!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222377105x1201454426/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgI
D=62&bcd=JulyBadfooterNO62)
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
FT2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Effect of Index

FT2
While the future isn't yet known, at present internal search is only
accessible as a specialist "wikipedia search engine".

For better or worse it's like any forum search; in that there is no major
external interface and it has not become widely relied on like google or
similar as a routine port of call for anyone seeking in-depth information on
a person (the main reason for NOINDEXing of pages).

An employer for example is far more likely to use google or yahoo, than
wikipedia internal search, partly because of prominence, familiarity, lack
of awareness, and because most people checking if someone's "known" online
don't exhaustively search every place they might have an account -- they
google them or look on major social networking sites. Wikipedia is big, but
it's no more a routine "major social networking site" than many others. In
that context myspace, facebook, blogs, spidered news media, and personal web
pages are far better known and used.

Should that change and Wikipedia become a prominent "first place to search
for non-notable people one knows or might be interested in who might have a
real-name mention on there as an account owner" (not that likely) then at
that point NOINDEX might conceivably switch to signify "don't return this in
an internal search if the user isn't approved/is unconfirmed/isn't an admin,
or whatever it at that point. Or there might be a list of "terms not to
return on NOINDEXed user and project pages" that would mean someone
searching for an incident as an incident might find a page but someone
entering a real name as a search term would not. But that's not presently on
the horizons.

Some thoughts.

FT2




On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 8:08 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Why couldn't a person simply scan userspace using all sorts of  searches on
> "the" and "and" and so on, and simply repost the entire contents  with deep
> links to an external indexed page?
>
> No indexing and then allowing internal searches anyway seems like hiding an
>  elephant behind a bucket.
>
>
> **************A bad credit score is 600 & below. Checking won't affect your
> score. See now!
> (
> http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222377105x1201454426/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgI
> D=62&bcd=JulyBadfooterNO62)
> _______________________________________________
> WikiEN-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
>
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Effect of Index

metasj
I'd love to see the internal search become the best way to find real-time
new changes to articles -- and even add features for collaboratively
improving common search topics.

SJ


On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 6:12 PM, FT2 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> While the future isn't yet known, at present internal search is only
> accessible as a specialist "wikipedia search engine".
>
> For better or worse it's like any forum search; in that there is no major
> external interface and it has not become widely relied on like google or
> similar as a routine port of call for anyone seeking in-depth information
> on
> a person (the main reason for NOINDEXing of pages).
>
> An employer for example is far more likely to use google or yahoo, than
> wikipedia internal search, partly because of prominence, familiarity, lack
> of awareness, and because most people checking if someone's "known" online
> don't exhaustively search every place they might have an account -- they
> google them or look on major social networking sites. Wikipedia is big, but
> it's no more a routine "major social networking site" than many others. In
> that context myspace, facebook, blogs, spidered news media, and personal
> web
> pages are far better known and used.
>
> Should that change and Wikipedia become a prominent "first place to search
> for non-notable people one knows or might be interested in who might have a
> real-name mention on there as an account owner" (not that likely) then at
> that point NOINDEX might conceivably switch to signify "don't return this
> in
> an internal search if the user isn't approved/is unconfirmed/isn't an
> admin,
> or whatever it at that point. Or there might be a list of "terms not to
> return on NOINDEXed user and project pages" that would mean someone
> searching for an incident as an incident might find a page but someone
> entering a real name as a search term would not. But that's not presently
> on
> the horizons.
>
> Some thoughts.
>
> FT2
>
>
>
>
> On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 8:08 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Why couldn't a person simply scan userspace using all sorts of  searches
> on
> > "the" and "and" and so on, and simply repost the entire contents  with
> deep
> > links to an external indexed page?
> >
> > No indexing and then allowing internal searches anyway seems like hiding
> an
> >  elephant behind a bucket.
> >
> >
> > **************A bad credit score is 600 & below. Checking won't affect
> your
> > score. See now!
> > (
> >
> http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222377105x1201454426/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgI
> > D=62&bcd=JulyBadfooterNO62)
> > _______________________________________________
> > WikiEN-l mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
> > https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
> >
> _______________________________________________
> WikiEN-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
>
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Effect of Index

geni
2009/7/25 Samuel Klein <[hidden email]>:
> I'd love to see the internal search become the best way to find real-time
> new changes to articles -- and even add features for collaboratively
> improving common search topics.
>
> SJ


Redirects and disambiguation pages.

--
geni

_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Encyclopedia.com

WJhonson
In reply to this post by WJhonson
About us
http://www.encyclopedia.com/about.aspx
"Other Web sites that allow anyone to rewrite reference entries can be
fun. But when you need credible information from reliable sources you
can cite, Encyclopedia.com (www.encyclopedia.com) is the place to go. "

"Encyclopedia.com is owned and operated by HighBeam Research. "

What do others think.  Is this site merely another fluffy, we're better
than you, site that falls on its face when tested?

Will Johnson


_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Encyclopedia.com

Keegan Paul
I think that I was taught in school to never use any encyclopedia as a reference work, and that others should learn the same instead

-- Sent from my Palm Pre
[hidden email] wrote:

About us
http://www.encyclopedia.com/about.aspx
"Other Web sites that allow anyone to rewrite reference entries can be
fun. But when you need credible information from reliable sources you
can cite, Encyclopedia.com (www.encyclopedia.com) is the place to go. "

"Encyclopedia.com is owned and operated by HighBeam Research. "

What do others think.  Is this site merely another fluffy, we're better
than you, site that falls on its face when tested?

Will Johnson


_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l


_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Encyclopedia.com

Falcorian
Well... They didn't have articles on the first two things I checked, and for
the third thing they use one of our pictures. ;-)
http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/electron.aspx

<http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/electron.aspx>--Falcorian
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Encyclopedia.com

Luna-4
In reply to this post by WJhonson
When recruiting for youth groups, I remember being told very explicitly to
avoid speaking negatively about competing groups during presentations, given
the risk that potential members (or their parents) would find the attitude
off-putting. I think a similar concept might apply to encyclopedias -- as a
reader, I'm in it for the entries, not the chest pounding.

I think we'd do well to bear that in mind, when it comes to public image and
especially with regard to the presentation of content.

That's not to say I think we do a bad job of it. Just prattling on.

-Luna
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Encyclopedia.com

David Gerard-2
2009/7/27 Luna <[hidden email]>:

> When recruiting for youth groups, I remember being told very explicitly to
> avoid speaking negatively about competing groups during presentations, given
> the risk that potential members (or their parents) would find the attitude
> off-putting. I think a similar concept might apply to encyclopedias -- as a
> reader, I'm in it for the entries, not the chest pounding.
> I think we'd do well to bear that in mind, when it comes to public image and
> especially with regard to the presentation of content.


Indeed. We're a bunch of encyclopedia nerds. Britannica is way cool -
it's a pity about their combative PR. Citizendium is another free
content encyclopedia, it's quietly getting on with it, if they're
successful that's good for everyone. Conservapedia ... I'll get back
to you on that one.


- d.

_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l