Re: [Foundation-l] How about WikiMedia in Google Summer of Code 2008

Re: [Foundation-l] How about WikiMedia in Google Summer of Code 2008

Brian J Mingus
What if the Foundation were to take advantage of the large number of researchers that are closely associated with the organization and could potentially serve as mentors? I don't know for certain that they would be willing to fill that role, but they might, and I can see a lot of code coming out of it that benefits the project.

On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 12:37 PM, Brion Vibber <[hidden email]> wrote:
Brian wrote:
> They begin accepting applications for mentoring organizations in two days.
> Any word on this?

We're still very short-handed, so we'll see what we can do. We haven't
really been able to support more than one or two projects in the last
couple years.

-- brion vibber (brion @ wikimedia.org)

Re: [Foundation-l] How about WikiMedia in Google Summer of Code 2008

PeterAnsell
On 05/03/2008, Brian <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What if the Foundation were to take advantage of the large number of
> researchers that are closely associated with the organization and could
> potentially serve as mentors? I don't know for certain that they would be
> willing to fill that role, but they might, and I can see a lot of code
> coming out of it that benefits the project.

Two projects I could see the Foundation sponsoring for technical
issues would be WYSIWYG editing and an improved mechanism for wiki
based threaded discussions, but I know have been brought up before,
but they are issues that wiki technology doesn't exactly excel in yet
so it would be a start. Improved referencing methods in wiki's may
also be another topic which could be investigated at the technical
level.

Peter Ansell

Re: [Foundation-l] How about WikiMedia in Google Summer of Code 2008

mingli yuan
I can not find pages about "Summer of Code 2008" on meta.

Will WMF be a mentoring organization in this event?
Should we setup a page on meta to discuss all the proposals?

My proposal:
A student from China want to work on a git-based wiki implement which may related to our projects.
It might not be very useful immediately, but a proof of new concept.