Re: [Foundation-l] "Chinese Wikimania 2006 to be held in Hong Kong"

Re: [Foundation-l] "Chinese Wikimania 2006 to be held in Hong Kong"

R.O.C
i think so too, there is a huge cultural and language gap, many chinese users have misunderstood the meaning of "wikimania" as simply a short word for "wikimedia conference" or "wikimedia meetup" instead of "INTERNATIONAL wikimedia conference" (of wikimedia foundation). most of them were not aware that "wikimania" is a brand name and should be a trademark for the foundation.

the chinese name for the chinese conference "中文維基年會" can be more precisely translated as "chinese language wikipedia/wikimedia annual conference". since the english name is seeked largely to serve international attenders/readers, i think that suggestions/advice from international users on the mailing list would probably be helpful and productive. if you have comments, please kindly send it to the wikizh-l list at [hidden email].

(i personally still favor "chinese wikimedia conference" if authorized by the foundation, which seems likely.)

the planning of the chinese conference is still in the early stage. it's not clear how many would attend, but personally i would not be surprised by a number between 20 and 100. it will be held on august 26-27 after wikimania in boston.

roc (User:R.O.C)
--

在 2006/3/16,THD <[hidden email]> 撰寫: